Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Being really really really slow again - what's up???

Angry Being really really really slow again - what's up???

I am SOOO FRUSTRATED with this app being SOOOO incredibly slow moving from page to page. Today and yesterday (even after a restart), it's taking ONE MINUTE OR LONGER to change pages! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. IT'S WORSE since the "update", not sure why I bothered and out $100. Updates are supposed to improve. I don't see it!

I don't have any problems like this with my other apps (Dreamweaver is way fast and I wish I had developed the site on that!). WHY IS NETOBJECTS SUCH A PAIN??

Since most people run NoF without any issues, we need to identify what is different about your environment, installation or web site. Do you, for example, have very large tables on some pages? This will slow NoF down considerably. For example, I did a restaurant site some years ago where the menu was compiled in tables and it was a Very Large menu. I had the issue of the pages taking ages to update when I made even minor changes. However, this wasn't the apps failure, it was my design failure. I switched to acrobat files for the menus and not only did the issue go away but clients were much happier as it was much quicker for them, too.

So, maybe if you posted a URL we could take a look at it and see if there's anything that might be causing the issue in the content. If not, then you can narrow it down to an operating environment variable or a conflict with another app. There was another thread on this recently with an intelligent reply and solution - have a look through the forum.

Yeah, I did and I see that SEVERAL other users notice the same problem!

http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...highlight=slow

Yes, SEVERAL out of thousands of users. Unfortunately computers these days are so complex and run so many different applications concurrently there are always going to be some conflicts for some people. I'm quite used to Photoshop CS5.1 crashing unexpectedly on one of my computers, for example, but it never does on the other. Exact same specifications on both machines.

Unfortunately NetObjects hasn't yet come out with a *nix based version so I'm afraid we're all stuck with the vagaries of Windows. So we're all always going to experience some instability on our machines, and it's only getting worse and is going to get even more so.

As an example of what Franko is referring to, a few of us tablet users running under Vista had a strange issue: When you quit NOF, Windows would not release the memory being used. When you relaunch you would end up with multiple instances of NOF showing in your Task Manager, each consuming a chunk of memory, creating general system sluggishness and NOF instability.

It came down to the Touch Computer functionality that Windows would activate when you hook up a tablet, that had no real purpose for a tablet. It took a while to suss out since 99% of folks did not have this issue, and I and one other user set out to figure out what was different about our particular systems. Once this "feature" was deactivated, the problem went away.

It's hard to know what may cause problems like this, and it may be caused by some other unrelated program running in the background. Some have said having too many fonts installed can cause issues with NOF and other apps as well. Or maybe one corrupted font. Or that little app your digital camera installed that runs in the background waiting for you to plug in your camera twice a year so it can "help" you find your photos. Or the driver for your particular video card. Or...
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Have you tried deleting your temporary windows and temporary internet files?
    ------------------------------------
    Ken Friedman
    Author of books about WW-II.

Shutting down some apps (I disabled a couple of extensions too) has helped, but it's still slow. Problem is that Fusion has had these memory leak issues for YEARS and they have yet to resolve them. It's not fully compatible with Win 7 because they don't/won't spend the money on fully upgrading.

Bigger issue is this is the ONLY application I EVER have problems with and so, logic says it's fusion. It's buggy, always has been, and still is. It wasn't worth the $100 bucks I paid for an upgrade. It seems to get worse not better!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Bigger issue is this is the ONLY application I EVER have problems with and so, logic says it's fusion.
    Clearly you didn't understand what Ray and I wrote. Read it again, this time without the blinkers on.
    Last edited by franko; 06-14-2012 at 11:34 PM.

I certainly empathize when you get the "you seem to be the only one with the problem" when it is obviously not the case. That and the nasty RTFM barb when there isn't any manual to read! But, yes, there iare several avenues to solving your problem. One is free and another rather expensive. I am riding both because my gaming grandson gave me his gaming computer with an ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 graphics board (I believe it is the fast graphics board available today). Of course the computer has the double-wide bus and fast RAM but many computers available today are configured that way.
    The problem is that NoF is designed to be attractive hence the graphics display. If you disable the lower levels and use the navigation toolbox to go from page to page it is fast -- very fast. If you click on the graphical page images is is like grass growing in Nebraska in January. So, in effect, it is really under your control.
    There is no justifiable reason that they have to repeatedly output all the graphics for each page change but that's the way they chose to do it. So avoid the graphics as much as you can and you can significantly lower your blood pressure.

I certainly empathize when you get the "you seem to be the only one with the problem" when it is obviously not the case.
    A deliberate misquote. If you read again, you'll see that nobody said "you're the only one with the problem." I said, "MOST people run NoF without any issues..." Please DO NOT misquote me. I'm happy to stand by MY words, but not by your distortion of them.

there isn't any manual to read!
    Well, actually there is very good documentation, as I have said several times before. The User Guide is a 36MB PDF document and the Getting Started guide is a 20MB PDF. Admittedly they are not specifically for v12, but they were updated for v11 and meet 99% of v12 users' needs. And that other 1% can easily be answered here.