Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Being really really really slow again - what's up???

Good point - I've just noticed that the pages without a master border load instantly on my site. I only have one MB and never had this problem with NOF 7.5. Wonder if it's anything to do with copying site over from 7.5 into NOF 12?
    I'm frankly thinking of biting the bullet and going back to 7.5, it's so unworkable.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianjball View Post
    Unfortunately that didn't help. I hid everything under the Home page, so there was just a single cute yellow page in the Structure view. It then took 50s (slow, but not too bad) to open the home page (which is a simple flat page) into the Design view. I then switched to another page that was already present on a tab in the Design view, and that took just on 3mins to open. During that time CPU core #1 was flat out at 100% and there was virtually no disk activity.

Some more information: It seems that pages without a master border open almost instantly, while pages with a master border, even a simple one, are now taking between 3mins and 7mins to open. It seems strangely random. Sometimes a page that took 3mins to open once then takes 6mins the next time.

Wow! Just had a '3min' page take 12m43s to open! That's not just REALLY, REALLY slow, that's ASTOUNDINGLY slow! Note that I'm not editing anything on these pages, just switching between them...

Having now done a lot more testing, it seems that having a graphical button navigation bar in the master border is what makes it grind to a halt. Other components in the master border are fine, including text nav bars.

Could someone else with this problem please confirm this? Just delete your button bar and see if the page loads much quicker.

It seems that doing ANY operation on a button bar takes ages now. Just changing the structure of the bar from 'Site' to 'Custom' takes minutes for anything to happen, if you can get it to happen at all. Drawing a new one takes a minute for anything to appear in the spot you drop it. Doesn't seem to matter if the button bar is in the master border or the layout, or what style is applied to the bar.

Agreed, it is unworkable. Unfortunately reverting to an earlier version is also unworkable unless you want to re-do all changes you have done since upgrading, as the file format is not backwards-compatible. :-( That's my understanding anyway. I'm definitely open to being corrected - I don't remember having this problem even in the previous NOF12 patch version. It's just in 12.00.0000.5071 as far as I can tell..

Of course you don't remember having this problem in the previous NOF 12 patch version. This is not entirely a patch problem and not a problem all users encounter. My patched NOF 12 is superfast. Your problem is related to the path you have taken... the way you installed NOF or the system software or your hardware or page elements or history of copying and pasting or something else specific to your situation. Please try this... create a new site from scratch using all defaults and immediately add a standard unaltered graphical button navigation bar to a masterborder. Nothing else. Do you experience extreme slowness?

It's pointless doing this as I know as well as you do that I will NOT experience extreme slowness under those conditions. I work on several other sites and don't have the problem on them.

What I asked was for someone who IS having the slowness issue (and obviously you are not) to verify if their slowness issue is caused by the same thing as mine is.

Incidentally I did try making a template of the site and then loading that as a new site, on a different computer, and the problem was there also...

Sorry... just trying to help. The lack of response to your quest to find someone with the same problem might say something about the rarity of said problem. But if you know that that test would work fine, then you know that the problem has to do with your particular site file and if you perform some tests that isolate page elements and masterborders, you will find and resolve the issue.

I'm inclined to give people a little longer to respond before I despair for lack of response!

Interestingly I can start with a blank page (which opens fast) - no page elements, no borders, nothing. If I then attempt to add a button bar, even into the layout, it takes over a minute for anything to appear in the area I selected, and the program to become responsive again. From then on the page loads slowly. I have 2 site styles in use, and it doesn't matter which style button bar I pick, it exhibits the same slowness. It's almost as if the styles have got corrupted. Not sure what to try next - deleting the active site style will screw up virtually all the 73 pages currently in the site...

What happens if you apply a completely different style? Just a random style you've never used before. Same problem when you add the navbar?

You're not using a flash nav bar, are you?

Hi Franko. No not using a flash nav bar currently. Active site styles are Music and Traditional - both basic styles. I have added a new button design to the Traditional style, but once again just a basic button. But it's funny you should mention flash, because I just logged on to report back on my current tests.

I added a new random site style to my 2 active styles, as LBA suggested. It just happened to be a flash style (Genesis - Green). I then went to my blank test page and attempted to insert a new nav bar. It took 13mins just to initially draw the bar! And that of course was in the current site style, which is 'Music'. So simply adding another style seems to have made it much slower, even though that style isn't actually used anywhere yet. I then attempted to change the nav bar style to the new style, and that took 10mins before eventually returning control having NOT actually changed the button bar style. The second attempt at changing to the new style DID succeed, after just over 9mins.

I then deleted that button bar, and the Genesis site style, went back to my blank page and inserted a nav bar again. This time it took 3mins to add the bar. Still slow, but 10mins better than with the Genesis style just available, although unused.

Not sure where this is heading, but it's certainly slow to troubleshoot!

More info: As I was working with a test copy of the site anyway, I added a new site style, set it as the default one, then deleted both other original styles. Saved/compacted the site, then restarted NOF. Same problem. Takes minutes to add a nav bar to a blank page, and then takes minutes to switch to the page (or to any page containing a button bar). Don't know how to fix this. Something in the .nof file is obviously screwed up in a way that makes button bars super slow to do anything with. But deleting site styles doesn't help. Any other ideas of things to try?
    Last edited by adrianjball; 07-02-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: More info.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    And this from NOF-Newbie! GUFFAW!
    Franko, I know it drives you crazy that my screen name includes the word newbie considering I've been using NOF since Ver 5.

I had a dream last night:

I dreamed that the creators of this piggy software would provide a ".nod inspector" service.

An external utility that allows us to FTP our .Nod to a hot folder, the inspector collects the .Nod, processes it and returns to the user a .Nod with all the unused crap that's been screwing up the .Nod for 15 years, especially components and other artifacts that are no longer used or required in the .Nod. Wouldn't that be nice? I'd even pay for the service.

Then realized I wasn't dreaming, I was hallucinating -- as the creators of this program haven't corrected known bugs that have been with us for years.

We used to say, "if you can't fix it, feature it". NOF certainly follows that marketing axiom.

I read the comments here and get mildly annoyed, It's your:

- video card
    - OS
    - computer, it's too slow
    - use of cut and paste
    - error that you made 10 years ago (is that like NOF herpes, you're stuck with it forever?)

It's poor programming and even worse support, that what it is.

It's a package that fails to provide a decent utility package to manage the .Nod which, as we all know, is a data base.

Enough!