Thread: XML index for web site

Default XML index for web site

I have ensured that the check box for NOF to generate the XML index for the search engines is checked. (Google cannot find any such file in my web site www.hiway-guide.com.) The directions in the help file are incorrect as to the location of this check box but I was able to find the check box in a different location. Any hints?

I guess I need to amplify this question. Google, Bing, Yahoo and many other search spiders look for "websiteurl/sitemap.xml/". The site map that NOF claims to produce (but hasn't for me) is an html page with a visible link labeled sitemap. It apparently requires the client to have Java installed for it to work. I have the latest in Java and all I get is a blank page but, obviously, the beginning of a Java script.

Unfortunately, most of the guys I worked with at the DoD are deceased. The U.S, Government has not used NOF since IBM sold out its controlling interest many years ago so I don't know for sure that the xml site map was a product of NOF or a third party program. The NOF help file is totally incorrect but the Plotkin book on NOF 11 does have explicit instructions on how to tell NOF to create the site map. What he describes is there, step by step, but the output, as I said, is a blank screen. Someone out there must have need of, and perhaps generated, the required xml sitemap or index.

Unfortunately I cannot explain why you're getting a blank output from NoF. On the only occasion I used the component, it work ok for me. But I prefer to generate my sitemaps both as xml and html externally. I locally publish and upload the site and then get a site map generated at http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ which gives me more variables than does the NoF one and upload it to my document root.

Thank you, sir!

That is precisely the information I was asking for. So it is very probable that our site maps were the products of a third party program and not NOF. The visual one supposedly produced by NOF is of little or no help with the search engine spiders so I don't care what it produces.

I think you are describing the 'site mapper component' which is a completely different thing than the xml generator!

I've never used NOF 11 (I have 12), and the xml generator works fine for me. Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:

Click 'Tools' at the top of the page, then;
    Options;
    Current site;
    Site Traffic;
    Check the box for 'Publish a sitemap for search engines'

The image should confirm what I'm talking about!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitemap.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1163

My problem turned out to be in the "Publish Settings". If you leave the "Live URL" blank it will not publish the sitemap.xml

Default Site Map vs. Site Mapper

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyvko View Post
    The site map that NOF claims to produce (but hasn't for me) is an html page with a visible link labeled sitemap.
    Sounds like you're getting caught up in a contradiction of terms, like read and read can mean two different actons.

If your looking to get sitemap.xml - go to your publish settings (Local or Remote) and just type in the address for "Live URL". Once that field is filled, your sitemap.xml will automatically be generated to the published root folder.

Do not use the Sitemapper component that is used in Page View.

I have a very large site, so I have broken it down into severalNOF XII mini-sites, all with http://www.mywebsite.com as their live URL on Publish Settings. It works fine except when I publish mini site Apples, the sitemap.xml just contains the Apples pages and overwrites the previously published Banana pages. How do I get the Apples and the Bananas and the other mini sites to all show up in the sitemap.xml?

Many thanks!