Thread: Making site information practically user name independent in Windows 7.

Default Making site information practically user name independent in Windows 7.

Usually, one is advised to move sites as templates to another machine. This works but it is cumbersome if you are working on a number of sites. Below, I attempted to develop a methodology to back up all my Netobjects sites from one Windows 7 machine to another one without using templates.
    The changes below are aimed at making the bulk of the site information independent of the user name. Here is my process:
    1- Using the command under the file menu of Netobjects, change the "Users Sites" directory (from the directory ... \users\"user name 1"\My Documents\Netobjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites) to ...\users\default\documents\Netobjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites and move all the sites into the new folder. This makes the sites independent of the user name; it will require reopening the sites in Netobjects on the first machine
    2- Create the directory ...\users\default\documents\Netobjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites on the second machine. That also makes the sites user name independent on the second machine
    3- Backup the "User Sites" from the first machine to the second one (now same path on both machines)
    4- Backup the contents of ...\users\"user name 1"\My documents\Netobjects Fusion 12.0\Netobjects System on the first machine to \users\"user name 2"\My documents\Netobjects Fusion 12.0\Netobjects System on the second machine. The location is user name dependent but I think that the content is user name independent
    5- Backup the contents of ...\users\public\Public Documents\Netobjects Fusion 12.0 on the first machine to ...\users\public\Public Documents\Netobjects Fusion 12.0 on the second machine (same path again on both machines). This folder is user name independent and contains various sites templates, etc.
    6- Open Netobjects Fusion 12.0 on both machines; you should see exactly the same thing on both machines.

There may still be a need for minor adjustments; for instance, on the second machine I still had to link to some additional templates (in the directory of step 5 above). If I forgot something or made a mistake, I would appreciate a correction
    Last edited by levendel; 07-04-2012 at 05:02 PM.

I have an easier way. I copy all my sites onto an external hard drive and can plug that into whichever machine I wish. I use this when travelling so I can manage sites on my laptop. When I get back it's simply a matter or plugging the hard drive into my production workstation and copying the sites back again. Pretty much the same idea, I guess, except I have an external backup and only have to copy the sites I've actually worked on back to the original machine.

Of course, it would be even easier if the sites permanently resided on the external hard drive as you would then only have one .nod file and therefore no change of getting out of synch.

Hello
    Thanks for your suggestion. You are right that this is simple.

In truth, my procedure is not far from yours. I actually do not go directly from one machine to the other, but I use a network disk as intermediary, and I have automated the back up to the network drive and the restore to any machine. Once the procedure is set up, the update of files that have changed executes automatically at scheduled times. On any other machine, I can restore the differences automatically too.

I have used this synchronizing procedure on most of my data; the only problem was the path dependency of Netobjects files in Windows 7 which did not exist on XP.