Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of purchasing NOF12? Hope you don't need support. 11-year customer here.

I have been using NOF since V2 in 1997 having seen demo at an exhibition in Earls Court London. I have upgraded constantly up to V8 and every time I opted for an upgrade disc. (I usually had problems in my ranking on Google as a result but never any problems to speak of with the software).

I have almost retired and am working from home. Business is flagging and I want to improve my website. I am anxious about upgrading from the internet as I will have little control over the upgrade and it may completely mess up my existing website which is adequate but outdated and not good for promoting my work. My website is extensive with over 100 pages and 500 images all interlinked and the result of about 15years work - talk about out of date!

So far I have not been able to gather the info needed to give me confidence to upgade and the original posting here by Canyon and others really worry me. I will scour NOF web site but words of advice from the formum members would be of great help in deciding whether to upgrade or start afresh with a different program.

Finally in favour of NOF in 1997 they would not only answer the phone and send emails they also send hard copy letters by post. Showing my age!

Quote Originally Posted by simon12 View Post
    I have been using NOF since V2 in 1997 having seen demo at an exhibition in Earls Court London. I have upgraded constantly up to V8 and every time I opted for an upgrade disc. (I usually had problems in my ranking on Google as a result but never any problems to speak of with the software).

I have almost retired and am working from home. Business is flagging and I want to improve my website. I am anxious about upgrading from the internet as I will have little control over the upgrade and it may completely mess up my existing website which is adequate but outdated and not good for promoting my work. My website is extensive with over 100 pages and 500 images all interlinked and the result of about 15years work - talk about out of date!

So far I have not been able to gather the info needed to give me confidence to upgade and the original posting here by Canyon and others really worry me. I will scour NOF web site but words of advice from the formum members would be of great help in deciding whether to upgrade or start afresh with a different program.

Finally in favour of NOF in 1997 they would not only answer the phone and send emails they also send hard copy letters by post. Showing my age!
    Fusion was a $300 product back in 97 (I believe I paid $599 for version 1 back in 96). Now it is under $50 (even less through the direct email campaign).

You can't really expect a full blown support department with access to the engineers when software cost about what a decent dinner for 2 cost.

If you do upgrade to version 12 you need to be aware that the default publish method has CHANGED with the version 12 release.

SO.....

Before you publish anything you need to reset it to the old by asset type publish method otherwise things will go very wrong when you find hundreds of new folders and files with HTML documents all over the place.

Here is where the publish output method settings are located (most people never fiddle with these)

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=181
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I've been using NOF almost as long as you, but updated every time - even when experimenting with the opposition. I've tried Dreamweaver, ExpressionWeb, Xara Web Designer, and several of the cheap WYSIWYG offerings. I have come back to NOF because in releases 11 and 12 you can at last produce standards compliant sites and almost have hands-on control over html and CSS. Believe me, NOF is one or two releases away from being much better than any of the opposition - offering more or less perfect WYSIWYG site production and total flexibility for the more geeky site producers at the same time. No other Web software does this. At the same time, I expect NOF to have full built-in support for developing perfect sites for mobile devices - probably in the next release.

I appreciate the effect reading these forums might be having on your confidence. Look at it this way, forums invite moaning - those with nothing bad to say usually say nothing. So far as I can see, at least half the moans here are because people are too idle to read manuals and never bother to do tutorials. Also, NOF 12 is a very complex program if you get into the nuts and bolts of what it can do and how to do them. Just learning and understanding the options is non-trivial - but crucial. You will certainly find it very different from release 8! So long as you always keep a pristine backup of your original site, I would get NOF 12. Expect it to take you a month to get a fully working version of your site in NOF 12 - one that you are certain gives you all the old functionality and looks exactly like it used to. Then it will take another month, at least, for you to play around with design features to improve and update the look of your site. One big problem for you is that the Web has moved on a lot since you last touched your site - particularly with standards and the use of CSS. However, once you've done the initial work, it will be easier to maintain and improve your site than it has ever been.

Remember, for every dissatisfied NOF customer there must be ten satisfied ones - otherwise we would all be wasting time fighting Dreamweaver - and believe me, that is a battle you're well out of!