Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secure FTP SFTP in fusion 11 incompatable with Yahoo Website building Help!

Default Secure FTP SFTP in fusion 11 incompatable with Yahoo Website building Help!

A new problem with fusion (as if I needed it). Yahoo is moving publishing facilities to Secure FTP ---> they specifiy that I need to "1.Enable Explicit FTP over TLS/SSL (FTP)".

The publish option in fusion 11 has a secure ftp selection however every attemp to test the connection fails and I have no obvious means to to set explicit ftp over tls/ssl, how do I proceed, Fusion support already gave me the runaround one time and I NEED to fix this issue asap.

I am assuming fusion has close ties to the registry file and that a security key change may have to take place someone in the registry, or is the problem simpler and sweeter.

Started up 4 more clients on Fusion and now I have to decide to lose them again to dreamweaver cause fusion CAN'T or WON'T help or to lose my yahoo isp to find an UNsecure FTP domain on domain.com in order to keep them on fusion?

I have already contacted Yahoo about the issue. I will not write up instructions on how to upload to local and use filezilla to get the files to yahoo - I am getting old and tired and can no longer tolerate such abuse... so anybody have a quick fix to fusion to make it back into a 1..2..3.. operation?

Thanks
    Michael N.
    Last edited by Duftopia; 07-30-2012 at 11:19 PM.

I have a client that requires sftp access. It's quite simple. Do a Local Publish and then use the SSH Secure Shell Client to upload the site. You can obtain SSH Secure Shell Client free from www.ssh.com.

And despite your frustration, this isn't a problem with NoF any more than it's a problem with Filezilla. You need a SFTP program to upload SFTP.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    I have a client that requires sftp access. It's quite simple. Do a Local Publish and then use the SSH Secure Shell Client to upload the site. You can obtain SSH Secure Shell Client free from www.ssh.com.

And despite your frustration, this isn't a problem with NoF any more than it's a problem with Filezilla. You need a SFTP program to upload SFTP.
    You know I've seen you give GOOD advice to a number of fusion people, and I've used allot of that advice.

The bottom line is that using another software package because your web publishing package cannot perform its one primary task, publish w/o issues has me disappointed again (to say the least).

Now how do I tell clients using both services that they have to use filezilla and/or another "hack" or "Public" domain program to fix THIS new issue.

I keep building a client base for the fusion people and they keep destroying it, the google search modules went bad recently, preparing a 900 page website for uploading typically takes over an hour, copy and paste even "unformatted" is a mine field, the backup system stopped working around fusion 6 or MX and now secure FTP really isn't a functioning service either?

Is there any way to jury rig some of these problems like pass a crypt key to the target server, like a registry entry, I know I ask allot but fusion has so many many good points that its hard to beleave I am faced again with a dead-end with no support from the fusion team at all!

BUT I must thank you for the help, I will get the program and play with it, maybe I can write a powershell and/or batch program that I can somehow link to the app to run it, but its more than likely I will lose half my client base AGAIN to dreamweaver, and that has no user friendly GUI and is hard to code in.

Michael n.
    Last edited by Duftopia; 08-01-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: found www.ssh.com not free

I understand what you're saying. However, NoF is an web design and html generation package. IMHO I think they're doing themselves a disservice in trying to add in a whole lot of functions that lay outside the core of the program's functionality. For me, FTP is one of these, as are most of the components included in NoF.

But then, I've always believed the 'one program to do everything' approach is inefficient and generally an attempt to alleviate the need by people to actually study and learn - a Western disease that's spread around the world in recent years. Which is the reason all my web sites run on unix servers - in may case Sun Sparcs. Unix takes the completely opposite approach, small programs dedicated to a single task; small and highly efficient and with very rare interruption to service.

But then, I'm a dinosaur. I admit it.

Hi Franko,

It must be the chiily deep south weather that preserves us dinosaurs. :-)

Michael, I'm not sure what your problem is, except you think a hammer should be a buzz saw.

Like Franko, and many others here, I go way back with NoF, in my case to 7.5 and I find it does what it claims to do. No more. No less. And it plays well with 4D Site Designer (as I keep telling everyone). But when I need a slide show, I don't use NoF or 4D, I use a slide show maker. Spot the difference?

If you ARE losing clients over this issue, then it isn't because NoF is a hammer and not a buzz saw. I think you need to look to your business model and your client relationships.

Default The hep request is the last paragraph

[QUOTE=1FugleyKiwi;64025]Hi Franko,

I know my replies are long winded but that reflect the frustration of generally getting software to work and fusion is a leader in that arena.

SO....

The reply given sounds like the Fusion people only more directed, after ADAM (Irony) they basically say we don't do anything here, we just sell you the software and asta-la-vista baby we are gone, They NEVER fix problems, they do guide you when you get lost, but I seem to find people like you have work-arounds or Fixes for serious to stupid repetive issue.

As For Unix I was a Sys Admin with AIX, SCO, and HP Unix for over 10 years and agree whole heartedly with the fact that UNIX requires a brain to use and in exchange for that brain you get the FULL power of you PC and can basically do anything rather than beg windows based software developers to answer a question (which is fundamentally stupid) Like how do you make your program publish the web site your program created, or how do you make your backup work, both of shich they don't know!.

NOW if I expected fusion to do a slideshow then I deserve what I get, but isn't the software suppose to be able to publish a website, the example I am stating is I buy a car and I leave the driveway to drive on a road, should someone put a light on my block isn't my car equipped with a brake?, or at least a hole in the chasis to slam my feet against the ground and hope?... or should the fusion people say... Well that was unexpected... Okay we are out of here!. NOW if I try to drive on water I can understand them saying this is a car not a boat, they said that about me having too many pages in my own website I got annoyed so I directed found a workaround from another fusion user for myself and dreamweaver for large clients, I kept a few small Clients and added to fusions base for ease of use - now they are sacking these people too, because they can't publish! (okay NOT 100% there fault.. But they can't even respond to this obviouly unbeleaveable request?)

You are trying to say publishing your website on a WINDOWS based platform (The only Platform fusion was designed for - if you can run fusion on UNIX I tell me!) should be someone else's job?... Think about that, and read the box, - "behind the scene publishing", "...out of your head and on to the web"," building your website? site wizard can do it in 3 easy steps" the third step is PUBLISHING, "..fusion is the easiest way to plan, manage and publish your web site" Where does it say we write software to make websites, but this package cannot publish the sites. Or "NEW use Google feature box to search sites" Or yes It will only work for a few months at best then don't expect us to even help when its goes disfunctional, like backups have been for fusion for over a decade.

SO... I was directed to what WAS a free software package that SEEMED to have the capacity to take an FTP request from fusion and convert it to an SFTP compatable with the Secure ftp tls standard yahoo intends to implement soon (I am not pleased with yahoo's one size fits all method either but thats another story), the product is priced for large site users who I already do not use fusion for, the people I still TRUSTED to fusion no budget to dish out Hundreds so I will either move them to another ISP that has ftp at $5-$10 more a pop a month or upgrade to fusion 12 for an upfront $100 price tag.... as for me I am obviously obsessive and think FUSION will get bought FINALLY by someone who cares, GERMANS I am hoping...

NOW Fusions CANNED SFTP cannot be modified?, Like the Canned Google search? or is there (I strongly suspect) a registry entry that can be modded to hardwire the Key to accompany the ftp or even sftp request to get the upload through?, I know by design FUSION developers Love to connect the core functionality of nearly all the modules to the registry the primary reason you can NEVER do a registry restore when fusion blows away nod file files, or cripples itself. That issue also was solved by a forums person who said the only good backup is a FULL EXPORT only AFTER a deletion of random damaged assets that fusion accumulates over time.

or is there a better and more clever way to fix the issue.

Again sorry for the story book reply
    Michael
    Last edited by Duftopia; 08-06-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: had a third option

I can also drop fusion for these clients and learn the WYSISYG interfaces yahoo and other sites offer or use avanquest or other simple software to keep them alive, the issues remains these potent growth clients lost to fusion will reduce the profitability of the software and maybe collapse it, last I looked they were a 6 million dollar rated company, i suspect that has been dropping more likely more than growing.

I can't argue with you; you make some good points. I do believe the people who currently own NoF care deeply about it and are doing what they can but they not only have to fix a lot of problems left over by WSP having the program coded in the Philippines (and I suspect with bad to non existant commenting) but they also have to anticipate and develop for future developments (not many foresaw the rapid takeup of smartphones for web browsing, for example, which has negated a lot of technologies which were developed for PC web browsers and simply don't work on smartphones/tablets).

I'm not denying some of the problems you raise; on the contrary, I can only say that NoF is a small company (cap value is about $6.4 atm) that has relatively small development resources, compared with Microsoft and Adobe, both of which are far from producing bug-free software (is that actually possible, anyway?) despite their enormous programming resources.

I'm not sure whether or not NoF being bought up by a larger company would be beneficial or not. Certainly it blossomed under Lotus' patronage in the late '90s but then, Lotus always were an exceptional software developer. Corel could probably do a pretty good job with it; their software has always been good but their marketing woeful, which is the reason they've always been creamed in the market place.

Anyway, interesting as this discussion is, at the end of the day, if you want to secure ftp your files to your web site, NoF isn't the best way to go.

Well I have basically Dropped Fusion, the last e_mail basically said; "it works for me!" and today yahoo servers were updated to ftps and I am done!. I think I am either going to look into magix and/or Avanques for the last hard headed clients (WHICH Definately includes me!).

I love what fusion did in the beggining - it was going places, it still has allot of things that give it an advantage over ANY of the other programs but thats fading fast, Magix cliams it also has the WYSIWYG interface and top down structure layouts and I regret having to use Vegas for my A/V productions when Magix software demonstrated BETTER support than SONY, and thats where fusion simply fails!

This said - having NO telephone support, and E-Mail support makes the fusion people as a business relaible product a stupid decision on my part, you can only run small sites 50+/- pages with it, and half the apps don't work, the google search went south in fusion 11 and again google points at fusion. In FACT I've had IBM, Google, ADobe, and now add Yahoo all imply that fusion is at fault over the years.

I am going to suppliment my issue with trying to write a powershell script that runs filezilla and sends my local uploads to the ftps server with yahoo right now, but eventually I will HAVE to move out of the fusion world

I am crazy to still be with them, but then again I am even crazier to think my 50 year old dream girl is still worth trying to have a family and life with. I have to have my Faith-o-meter checked it seems to be off on a few things...

Duf

1) local publish
    2) filezilla
    3) done

Simple.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz