Thread: Navigation bar has ? marks

Default Navigation bar has ? marks

Hi i am very new to this so any help will be welcomed. I have done a search for the problem but cannot find it.
    I published some changes a few days ago and now a few of my navigation icons have ? marks is this a common error and how to correct it?

Steve

Never seen this one before. The navigation bar text is whatever you set it to in site view; either the page name or the custom name if you've used custom names. Are you sure you haven't accidentally type a ? in the page name or custom name? I know it's unlikely but it's better to check for operator error before digging in to try and find what else might have happened.

A URL of the offending site, plus screen grabs of your site view and page view screens might help.

Just had another thought. It might have something to do with character sets. If you're using a character set or font on your computer for the nav bar buttons it might be that NoF cannot read that font for some reason, eg double-byte characters would require the web site properties to be set to Unicode rather than an English language character set.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Just had another thought. It might have something to do with character sets. If you're using a character set or font on your computer for the nav bar buttons it might be that NoF cannot read that font for some reason, eg double-byte characters would require the web site properties to be set to Unicode rather than an English language character set.
    http://www.bigbossgraphics.com/index.html

Sometimes goes ok if i keep trying to publish 1 after the other

Looks just fine to me. Just a thought - how many fonts do you have on your system and what is your system configuration. If you have a lot of fonts it could be that the particular one you're using isn't always being installed. I have over 1,000 fonts on my system and often have to use Nexus Fonts to manage them as sometimes a particular font isn't installed by windows. (I have no idea how windows decides which fonts to install at any time)

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Looks just fine to me. Just a thought - how many fonts do you have on your system and what is your system configuration. If you have a lot of fonts it could be that the particular one you're using isn't always being installed. I have over 1,000 fonts on my system and often have to use Nexus Fonts to manage them as sometimes a particular font isn't installed by windows. (I have no idea how windows decides which fonts to install at any time)
    It seems to have fixed itself, i do have quite a few fonts on the system being a graphic designer. One thought is i have a linksys dongle that very frequently requires me to unplug and plug back in to get the connection working again ( very poor ) could this maybe cause the problem when uploading.

One thought is i have a linksys dongle that very frequently requires me to unplug and plug back in to get the connection working again ( very poor ) could this maybe cause the problem when uploading.
    Who knows? I don't know how and when the fonts are embedded into the different graphics but if it's at publish time then I guess it makes sense.

I found previously that if I had the NOF Image Optimization turned on, occasionally some of the auto-generated navigation buttons could not be found. I don't know if it's been fixed, but is worth checking to ensure it's turned OFF.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Application...

It should open a window and on the Program tab (should be on this by default), look for "Auto-generated image output". Select each file type (GIF, JPEG, PNG) from the drop-down, then select "Optimize" to "(Not optimized)".

Note that if you ever do a re-install of NOF to resolve an issue (as I did recently), these get reset to "Best GIF / JPEG / PNG" (as I just discovered!).
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Allison Moore

Default Re: Navigation bar has ? marks

That's probably because optimized images are put in a separate folder
    when you publish. I think it's Local Publish/assets/images/autogen if
    you're publishing by Asset type.

This particular "feature" caused me a great deal of heartburn before I
    figured out that I had to ensure that optimization was turned off at
    every instance.

Allison

On 8/11/2012 6:40 AM, RayC wrote:
    > I found previously that if I had the NOF Image Optimization turned on,
    > occasionally some of the auto-generated navigation buttons could not be
    > found. I don't know if it's been fixed, but is worth checking to ensure
    > it's turned OFF.
    >
    > Go to *Tools* -> *Options *-> *Application...*
    >
    > It should open a window and on the Program tab (should be on this by
    > default), look for__\"Auto-generated_image_output\"_. Select each file
    > type (GIF, JPEG, PNG) from the drop-down, then select "*Optimize*" to
    > *"(Not optimized)"*.
    >
    > Note that if you ever do a re-install of NOF to resolve an issue (as I
    > did recently), these get reset to "Best GIF / JPEG / PNG" (as I
    > _just__discovered!).
    >
    >
    >
    > Ray Cambpell
    > Sounds In Sync
    > 'Unlimited Web Hosting $5.95/month' (http://tinyurl.com/hosting595)