Thread: Client Videos and comments.

Default Client Videos and comments.

For my niche website, aimed at parents of young children, I want to let them upload Videos, pictures, comments to our site. How should I approach this challenge? I would guess I need a ftp, a file content manager, and a video and graphic display where they could make comments. This is somewhat like YouTube format, but strictly for our small website. I dont wish to use YouTube for this.
    Any ideas on how to go about this and products to use to accomplish it? Thanks

Beach Ape is right. You need a CMS of some description - wordpress, joomla or drupal are all open source.

4D SiteDesigner is an application which is an ideal back-end companion to NoF (1FugleyKiwi is a bit of an expert at interfacing the two) and has not only a CMS but also a range of other functionalities which are missing from NoF. That's no criticism of NoF; it's a design and html-generating tool, not a back-end solution but it plays friendly with 4D SiteDesigner.

It's not free; in fact, for a developer who needs an open licence it's too expensive for me but then I mainly do pro-bono work for churches and para-church organisations these days. You can licence it for one domain, though, in which case it's actually very good value for the functionality it provides.

If this is out of the question, then go with one of the other solutions mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Beach Ape is right. You need a CMS of some description - wordpress, joomla or drupal are all open source.
    Those 3 are the top free open source and all have their jingositic supporters. I have been doing a lot of reading and looking through tutorials since I feel I will be moving this way soon.

The reason I recommended WP is that it looks to be the goldielocks type application. I've read that Drupal is for large mechanics, Joomla for ease and WordPress as the perfect marriage of the two. But what sold me most was what a user said in a forum somehwere that he found WordPress the easiest for not so savvy computer users to learn (your customers).

I recommneded the .com verson of WordPress as the easiest start, which allows you to get started for free and you can purchase as you go. If you want to host on your own server, they have a transfer service as well. Virtual hosts have free installs as well but I'm going this route: Install XAMMP > Local Machine Install of WordPress > Transfer to server after site build. Tutorials are all available on YouTube.
    Last edited by Beach Ape; 08-28-2012 at 12:10 AM.

As long as you have PHP and MySql as part of your hosting plan, the automatic installer makes wordpress trivial to install. I would love to see a MySql driven CMS integrated into NoF so one could add and install it from within the application but that doesn't seem too likely in the near future. Pity, because it's the number one requirement for my clients.