Thread: Websites to Mobile Websites

Default Websites to Mobile Websites

I have created hundreds of websites using NOF9. I own NOF12 as well. I am embarrassed to say I no little about mobile websites. Do I need to buy separate domains for them. If one of my traditionals sites is viewed by a mobile device what is needed to redirect to mobile site. I assume I need to create a separate mobile site but what then, where do I publish it with respect to the "parent" site? Is NOF12 a good tool or is Mosaic (no nothing about it) better?

bd

You can get a totally separate domain, or some hosts will allow you to create a "sub-domain" which is connected to your primary domain at no extra cost. If your primary domain is www.example.com, you could set up a sub-domain like mobile.example.com or mobi.example.com or shop.example.com or store.example.com, or all of the above.

There are scripts available that will detect the device and redirect to the main site or the mobile site. Search the forum, several have been posted. I know I've posted one before -- don't recall at the moment.

Publishing depends on whether you have a separate domain or a subdomain. If hosted under the same account, they basically look like sub-folders on the server. So instead of publishing to /public_html/ you might publish to /public_html/mobile/ This is host dependent.

You can try NOF 12 by using one of the mobile templates. Mosaic is a combination hosting service and online design tool. I don't know how the domain thing works with Mosaic, whether it somehow piggybacks off your existing domain, or if a domain is included or if you need to register a separate domain for it. They've used that online marketing model that I truly hate where they say "Sign Up For FREE!" and details only follow after you sign up. At least they list the cost of $5/mo.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thanks, I am familiar with subdomains. However I guess I need to find the scripts that will detect a device accessing the site and then redirect the visitor. I have not worked with NOF 12 enough yet to find out if it has features such as clickable phone dialing etc. I also assume there is no easy way to bring in a previously created website into the mobile format.