Thread: Text Missing On Banner

Default Text Missing On Banner

I have just upgraded from NOFv10 to v12.
    I imported the v10 file into v12 and most of the site was intact. In v10 I had a Banner with Gold text on a blue background.

In v 12 the text is visable in Design mode but not in Preview mode or when the site is published. I have looked at the HTML and it is similar, but I am not an expert. Here is the relevent HTML:-

NetObjects Version 10 HTML

<tr valign="top" align="left">
    <td height="90" colspan="2" width="570">
    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="570" height="90" style=" background-color: #0000CC; "><tr height="0"><td></td></tr>
    <tr height="90"><td width="0" valign="middle"></td><td width="570" valign="middle">
    <p style="text-align: center;"><b><span style="font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif; font-size: 16pt; color: rgb(255,153,102);">Pendragon Publishing Home Page</span></b></p>
    </td></tr>
    </table>
    </td>

NetObjects Version 12 HTML
    <tr valign="top" align="left">
    <td height="90" colspan="2" width="570">
    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="570" style="font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif; font-size: 16px; color: rgb(255,153,102); height: 90px; font-weight: bold; text-align: center;
    background-color: rgb(0,0,204);">
    <tr>
    <td id="Banner1" valign="middle" width="565">
    <p style="margin-bottom: 0px;">Pendragon Publishing Home Page</p>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>

I have uploaded a page of the v12 generated site at :- http://www.pendragonpublishing.co.uk/testv12

The orginal site generated by v10 is at:- http://www.pendragonpublishing.co.uk

Has anyone an idea of how I can solve the problem.

Regards

Derek

Have you tried to delete the banner and put another instance of it from the tool bar?

that would be my first suggestion.

the graphics are autogenerated and removing then replacing the component can clear up a lit of things.

Clear local publish and preview folders then do a full site generation

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Question Tries New Banner and Page

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Have you tried to delete the banner and put another instance of it from the tool bar?

that would be my first suggestion.

the graphics are autogenerated and removing then replacing the component can clear up a lit of things.

Clear local publish and preview folders then do a full site generation

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried creating a new Banner with different colours. Yellow text on pink background. Created a new page and inserted the banner.

It shows OK in Design mode but the text is blue(should be yellow) in the Preview. It looks as though the text colour is being ignored and it is inheriting a param from higher up the structure.

Any suggestions on how to solve.

Regards

Derek

Make a new blank site and see if the banner tool works in a new site project.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Default Text Missing On Banner

Hi

Tried the suggestion of new blank site with a new text banner and it worked OK. So it looks like there is a problem with my inheritance. It seems to be inheriting the colour from a high level and ignoring the lower level colour. Any suggestions on what this could be?

Regards

Derek

In your old site you have a span setting the font, color, size, and position of the banner text.

in your new site you are using the standard paragraph tag for the banner text.

you can make a custom style and apply it to the banner text which is a lot cleaner than inline html formatting the text

You might spend more time looking for and correcting the problem then you would just reconstructing the site. From a quick look I see about 40 +/- pages on the site. to create a new blank site in 12 then copy/paste the content from the old site into a new blank should take you a day or so. I could easily see a week chasing down what is causing your issue on the old project file.

Nice thing about starting with a clean slate, you eliminate all of the old baggage that has been hanging around.

If you do decide to go the rebuild route I would suggest that you set your paste default to unformatted text so that you do not bring back in any "issues" along with the text content. I would recommend that you do this regardless of whether you continue working in your old project or in a new one.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4067

you may also want to go over my tutorial on setting up CSS and starting a new site project

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4079

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4069

Coyotes 0, Zeus 2. HaH! Mountain-dog, keepin' away all the hoo-do's and who-don't's near Yosemite!

Several questions come to mind when I see this post. Far from being of any potential assistance...

What happens when selecting the Banner Properties and de-selecting the option "Use for Banner title". Does the text become visible; is it viewed correctly; does it publish the change locally/remotely? Can it then be modified from within the SiteStyle view and would those mod's be retained and viewable?

Have you created your own SiteStyle?

Perhaps copied the style to a style of your-own-naming then, being certain none of the objects are Read Only... is there a resultant change.

Created an identical sitestyle (mebbe using copied/pasted NOF SiteStyle assets from a different folder location), then used that newwwuuuu style? And positive result?

This may have zero to do with your specific issue, but the value of confirming/deleting all un-used assets and files, then, Optimizing, then confirming/deleting all un-used assets and files aGain has tremendous value*. Sweep your site for loose junk often this way.

*Re-optimizing, without fail, loses the URL of any/all typewritten links for my sites, and all must be re-referenced.
    Last edited by cougarfood; 09-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Lightbulb Text Missing On Banner

Thank you for the suggestions on the text missing on the Banner, they have been very useful.

I have been looking at this in more detail. I have used the Goggle Chrome, Inspect Element feature which is very good at showing which attributes are being set by which css.

The text attributes e.g. Color, font, size etc. of the Banner text are set up, but these are being overridden by attributes in {Normal (p)} which I have set up in the site.css and style.css. These attributes affect other parts of the pages so I do not want to change them.

So even though I have set up Gold color for the text color for the Banner , the color in the site.css is being used for the Preview and Publication rendering. The Gold is however being shown in the Design mode. I assume that the Design mode uses a Fusion specific rendering tool whereas the Preview and Publication uses a Browser. I have tried 4 Browsers and they are all consistent.

What I did next was to try a Banner Image, I created a plain blue image of the correct size and added attributes similar to the Text Banner. This worked well with all three views i.e. Design, Preview and Publication rendering the same, with the text showing up in Gold, and the other attributes were as expected. this is what I am going to work with.
    It is not ideal as it creates an image for each page, and in my case this is about an extra 100 images which have to be released etc.

I think that the HTML which is being created for the Text Banner is incorrect. This is because:-
    it is inconsistent with the Design Rendering
    it is inconsistent with the way the Banner Image works
    if you set a Banner Text attribute I would expect it to take precedence over site and style.css

I hope that this helps someone else to solve a simiar problem.

Regards

Derek

Coyotes 0, Zeus 2. HaH! Mountain-dog, keepin' away all the hoo-do's and who-don't's near Yosemite!

Name:  cheers2.gif
Views: 226
Size:  2.7 KB My hope is that your troubles receive attention from the NOF staff or someone with more k-no-wledge than I. The trouble sounds as if it would have a simple solution.

I too have had this problem, but was able to work-it-out similar as you did with a site of far fewer pages - only 50-some. However, I needed only to create the single image, then add it as the Banner file.

After that all my NOF troubles, regardless of kind and type, completely disappeared from all my websites. My check book balanced and everything. Life was good again!