Thread: Alias site name

Default Alias site name

I have a page with a cookbook and info that I would like to have customers access directly but do not want to have my regular business site name in the link. Can I create an alias for my main website of which this page is a part so that cookbook customers could go directly to that page of information?

Tiny URL?

This won't stop your domain name from appearing in the address bar when accessing the link. You would need another domain name for that.

Tiny URL allows you to create an alias (provided it hasn't been used before) like http://tinyurl.com/Hope43Cookbook.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Coyotes 0, Zeus 2. HaH! Mountain-dog, keepin' away all the hoo-do's and who-don't's near Yosemite!

Quote Originally Posted by Hope43 View Post
    I have a page with a cookbook and info that I would like to have customers access directly but do not want to have my regular business site name in the link. Can I create an alias for my main website of which this page is a part so that cookbook customers could go directly to that page of information?
    If you find a place that would register your DNS for free or, if you pony-up the $30, just have your .htaccess file do the redirect. All pages will indicate the referenced Domain Name.

So throw some simple Zero Border pages together, stuff them with the obligatory apology for the breakage, make 'em pretty, add a timed Screen door to send them where you want them to be, plant those pages on the server at the root of your <cookbook_directory> and paste the <corrected> lines below into your .htaccess file. Then reference the proper redirects in case of page breakage or potential subsequent deletion:

<be proper when referencing the page location... but it might look something like this>

rewritecond %{http_host} ^<some_cookbook_name>.com [nc]
    rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.<your_existing_non_cookbook_name>.com/$1 [r=301,nc]

ErrorDocument 206 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/206/206.html
    ErrorDocument 301 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/301/301.html
    ErrorDocument 302 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/302/302.html
    ErrorDocument 400 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/400/400.html
    ErrorDocument 401 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/401/401.html
    ErrorDocument 403 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/403/403.html
    ErrorDocument 404 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/404/404.html
    ErrorDocument 500 ../<your_cookbook_directory_location>/customerrors/500/500.html

(the 301 handles broken re-directs. In general, it helps to have your custom error pages on-hand - for your site to comply with the www3 gods)

Salentè. Hope it was of some value to someone. As I understand things - or not - some places offer truly free DNS. Doen't sound right, but worth checking into. Or, if you're semi-serious with your cookbook, for the price of 5 sixpacks of beer or bottle of 30-buck-chuck...