Thread: Responsive Design

Default Responsive Design

Greetings!
    A couple of questions and comments about code and websites.

1.) I've noticed a growing number of html5 websites that have auto scaling when using a regular/desktop monitor. (That you can click on the Restore Down/Maximize button, grab the corner and push-pull the window in-out and everything scales up and down.) The scaling bottoms out around a width of 2 to 3 inches pending the size of the monitor. In the first ten lines of code there is usually something like the following two lines. What is going on and could this be done with NOF?

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

2.) All the websites I've gone to on an I-phone 4s done in HTML5 seems to work fine. Zooming in/out, zoom to fit works fine as does scrolling in the four directions. Also picking menu and text items. So why all the "going insane" over having a mobile site? Just do your site in HTML5 and let their fingers do the walking. (Please pardon my lack of knowledge here.)

3.) In Microsoft's old Titanic FrontPage you could put all text inside a table/window and do as in question one except the font size would stay the same and collapse down. Could that be done with NOF?

Thanks a lot! Kind Regards. Donald

There is still a lot of discussion in the web community over Responsive Web Design, and the community is divided into two camps. Those who want one site to behave responsively, those who believe in running an entry script to direct the visitor to an appropriate version of the site and those who are happy for mobile visitors to just see the regular web site and scroll as necessary.

I tend to fall into the first two camps, but it does really depend on who your audience is. For example, if you're building an intranet site where you have control over the browser it's being viewed with you can safely ignore RWD. If you site is a heavy graphics site, eg photography or video and your images are your product, then you probably want to go to the trouble of creating 2, 3, or 4 versions of the site to ensure the images are optimised for the respective device.

If it's an information heavy site where image quality is secondary and you want maximum accessibility of visitors, then you're going to bo for a responsive site.

Basically I believe it's a business decision that's implemented by IT, not an IT decision based on software or coding skills or cost of appropriate technology. And also, of course, on client budget as a Responsive site will, at the moment, mainly need to be coded by a developer as there are no really satisfactory wysiwyg solutions (although one or two are coming closer); creating more than 1 version of a site will also cost more as it will take time to create those different versions. A single web site will be the cheapest option.

No clear answers, not yet. it's all still in a state of flux, but then, the web has been that way since I coded my first site for Mosaic and Lynx way, way back.