Thread: NF12 will not work within Windows 8

Unhappy NF12 will not work within Windows 8

I hope that some more users have the same problem with NF12. After update my desktop pc to Windows 8 NF12 gives bleu screens when I try to publising my site. NF12 freeze for a second and gives a bleu screen. Very thing is oke till you do publising. After a bleu screen I hope for you that you have a backup of your site because the used site wont work any more after restart. NF12 try to repair this but the result is another bleu screen. Its happend several times so I step over to my old desktop windows 7 be waiting for better times within Windows 8.
    Wim
    Netherlands

I have a similar problem - when I try and FTP Publish my site (works OK with Vista) Fusion says the files are transferred but then when I try to close Fusion it crashes. Updates are not saved and FTP has not worked. Publishing locally seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by William010 View Post
    I hope that some more users have the same problem with NF12. After update my desktop pc to Windows 8 NF12 gives bleu screens when I try to publising my site. NF12 freeze for a second and gives a bleu screen. Very thing is oke till you do publising. After a bleu screen I hope for you that you have a backup of your site because the used site wont work any more after restart. NF12 try to repair this but the result is another bleu screen. Its happend several times so I step over to my old desktop windows 7 be waiting for better times within Windows 8.
    Wim
    Netherlands
    Hi William010,

I have a couple of questions for you that will help us in testing this scenario.

1. You state that you have upgraded to Windows 8, was this an upgrade from a previous version of Windows or a clean install of Windows 8? If the first option, what version of Windows did you upgrade?
    2. Have you tested this on any other sites? What were your results?
    3. Can you send me a template of your site via dropbox or another file sharing service? You can PM me the link, just click on my name and select "Private Message".
    Adam
    NetObjects Technical Support

Hi Adam,
    Thanks for responding also Mike with same problems. First I have made a upgrade of Windows 7 and use old software from 7. Everything was OK except NFXII. I have tested 2 sites I own. Both have same problems. One site is a little home site. I have a mail received from the NF team with more questions about what's happened with uploading. For now I am install full Windows 8 on my desktop with dual boot. So I can back to my old Windows 7 for NFXII. For now my problems are resolve. I think that Framework 4.0 is the big problem issue. I have try restore the old versions 2.0 and 3.5 but Windows8 gives compatible messages so I leave it for what it is. I stay by Windows 7 for NFXII. Same for Samsung Kies. Blue screens are results of using it. I think that it is time that resolve most problems with new updates from Microsoft. By the way here is my site http://www.castingnl.nl

Nothing to do with your issue, but I notice on your site all the flags are squashed up and distorted. Maybe you've set absolute values for the containing tables that are smaller than the images you've placed in them? Also, country's should be countries (don't worry, my dutch is non-existant but if I can help you or anyone with English I'm happy to do so). Finally, a couple of things for SEO. You might want to use a more descriptive page title than 'Home' and you might want to think about republishing in xhtml and only using tables for tabular data. You may come across some issues doing this, but <div>s are more SE friendly than tables. I've just done this with one of my sites and it was a breeze with only one issue with Visual LightBox which took a little while to resolve (the images were going under the nav bar instead of over).

Hi Franko,
    Thanks for replay. Thanks for positive comment. I now my English is not so very well. Butt I change it. I no what you mean about tables. I think I make another back-up of my site and try to republishing it in X html. So I can always go back to what I have. Franko do you have some examples websites for me with X html and maybe you can ex plane what's different with mine site. What can be the problems making a site like I have doing?. I want to have a flat site with a lots of pages in the background. My total pages are 185. Also I spare some server memory to use active links to pictures ext. on other servers. So my site total is not big at all. It's +/-125 Mb
    Wim

It's simply the publishing method. Instead of publishing the site using embedded tables (lots of tables inside each other) publishing by xhtml creates output that uses <div>s rather than tables. The nice thing with NoF is that you can have a site that's published in xhtml and still have individual layout region(s) that can have html4.01 or html 4.01 with tables output. I've done this on this page. This is the web site that was in html 4.01 with tables but I've now publilshed with xhtml output. However, the gallery page's layout is set to html 4.01 with tables which keeps the Visual Lightbox gallery displaying on top of the nav bar whereas pure xhtml displayed the gallery underneath the nav bar so the nav bar displayed right across the middle of the picture (on my laptop which is 1920 x 1080 resolution). This is the site that I just converted from html 4.01 with tables to xhtml and I was surprised how little problem it was.

Hi Franco,
    Site Looking great. I have use indeed yesterday the publishing method. There are 3 options to use. So I have use Xhtml1.0 for this time. There for it was HTML4.01. This weekend I spend more time to flicker out the best way to do it. When I see my html information within IE I see that the top information tells me
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> and yours <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">. So changing publishing method has no effect on publishing. I must better understand the difference between those two options and what the benefit for my site. I personally don't use a NAV bar on my site.
    Wim

Quote Originally Posted by William010 View Post
    Wim
    Netherlands
    William010,

What version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is configured for Fusion? You can check under the Application Options dialog, at the bottom of the first tab in the dialog.

If it says Use version bundled with NetObjects Fusion, then check if there is another choice for an external JRE available in the list (e.g. 1.6 or 1.7).

If the bundled version is the only choice in the list, download and install a 32bit version of the Java Runtime Enviroment (version 6 or 7). Then run Fusion and select the new version as the default JRE. You will then need to restart Fusion for the change to take effect.

If this does not help, submit a ticket through NetObjects technical support.

Hi M8's
    Finaly my Netobjects XII works perfect with windows 8. I think that I was to quick to use the new windows 8 in combination with NOF XII. After some updates from Windows 8 I try some small websites to upload and yes it works and there are no problems with FTP. After that I try to upload my big website and everything was ok. So I got no problem any more. Everybody thanks for responds.
    Wim