Thread: document Library

Default document Library

Has anyone found a good way of creating a document libray for files. I have a huge number of PDF's that need filing and creating a index for support teams to access manuals. What would you use for doing this?

I don't know the answer to your question, but the first thing I would do would be to install PDF-XChange. Searching multiple PDF files is about 5 or 6 times faster than Adobe Reader.

Compare the time taken to Find Text in a Folder of PDF Files between Adobe Reader and PDF-XChange. My hardware is ancient, results may vary on modern hardware, or accessing files over a network.
    AMD 64 3500 • 1 Gbyte RAM • onboard GeForce graphics Windows XP Home SP3
    My Web SiteA Brief NetObjects Fusion XII Review

And how would I integrate that to my NOF intranet? Its not the PDF's themselves. Its just that we have thousands of folders all with PDF's in them. I need to index and tag them against a product or process. I want users to be able to load the files against their respective support pages. I just cant get my head round this.

Quote Originally Posted by clogdiver View Post
    Has anyone found a good way of creating a document libray for files. I have a huge number of PDF's that need filing and creating a index for support teams to access manuals. What would you use for doing this?

Would this necessarily be somehow needed in NOf or should it be available in some other product. I did a Google search and it turned up all kinds of Document Library products.
    ------------------------------------
    Ken Friedman
    Author of books about WW-II.

This technique is not for the faint-of-heart and I'm not sure if it will help you but...

I have an annual project where I create a "web site" on a CD with an index to a bunch of PDF files. Rather than go through and create a table and manually highlight a name and create a link to the document, I do the following:

I create a spreadsheet in Excel with a number of columns containing portions of the raw HTML code to create a table row with links. The part where the file name and the label would come in the link are BLANK, where I can paste the information from a separate Excel page where I've catalogued and sorted the PDF file names and titles.

The first ROW of the spreadsheet contains the opening <table> html, and the last row contains the closing </table> html code.

The final column is a concatenation of all of the columns, creating a complete line of HTML code for a table row. I can then copy the entire column and paste it into NOF using CTRL-T which creates my table with all links and code.

Hope that makes sense.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Not sure what you mean by a 'huge' number, but if it's that many, then you probably need a database solution. Use NoF for the front end design work, let the database do the hard grunt behind the scenes.

oh about 300,000. Is that many ?

That's more than just a table with links.

Maybe you need something like this: http://www.omnistardrive.com/

You could create the front end with NOF, but use this to access documents sorted into folders.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by clogdiver View Post
    oh about 300,000. Is that many ?
    With that many you definitely need a database solution. Take a look at Ray's suggestion; it may be able to handle that many, but I wouldn't bet on it. Don't worry too much about the front end design; if it's on an intranet you need funcionality rather than prettiness.

At the risk of doing Mike's (gotFusion) sales for him, I think MySQL (or another industrial-strength database) coupled with ColdFusion may well be the best solution for you.