Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nof 12 not worth the money the freebie version is better

Default nof 12 not worth the money the freebie version is better

I paid about £50 for nof12 and havent found it really any different then the freebie version
    templates are the same flash banners that you cannot use
    has anyone made a decent website out of this

There have been "improvements" since version 1 was released in 1996 but the overall look/feel of the product has remained unchanged.

With each release new features have been added and usability has been improved.

If the free version works for you, stick with it. The free version is Fusion 7.5.

I have some customers that are still using Fusion 4 and have no intention of moving to something "new"
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Most folks doing serious web design do not use templates; they design the look from scratch. Flash looks to have fallen by the wayside for websites, plowed into the ground by Apple and it's list of personal vendettas. So best to avoid, or minimize, the use of Flash.

I've made a couple of decent websites ( IMHO ), and honestly I don't think it would matter if I used Fusion 10, 11 or 12. No, I take that back. Fusion 11, with the addition of Multi-Layout Regions, was a significant improvement, and I use them all the time. Aside from that, I've come to use NOF as a framework to build the site foundation, then add to it using various third-party tools and scripts. I can't think of any NOF Components or Tools that I use any more.

Fusion 12 was mostly more of an "under the hood" type of upgrade that improved and added to the ways it generates code. Important to propellerheads like Franko concerned with silly things like efficient code and SEO.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I got the upgrade for only £25, and at that price I definitely think it was worth it. It is debatable whether its worth £50 — probably still worth it for frequent users.

Being able to customise the interface is a big time-saver. The underlying code is not much different — a bit buggy in places, but overall its fast and reliable. If NOF does crash sometimes, it always seems to recover without significant issues.

See my brief review to see why I think its worth the upgrade price.
    AMD 64 3500 • 1 Gbyte RAM • onboard GeForce graphics Windows XP Home SP3
    My Web SiteA Brief NetObjects Fusion XII Review

GofBorg

Default Re: nof 12 not worth the money the freebie version is better

> I paid about �50 for nof12 and havent found it really any different then
    > the freebie version
    > templates are the same flash banners that you cannot use
    > has anyone made a decent website out of this

There are always advantags to newer versions you just may not run
    across them immediately. There are also normally a few regressions
    which can be annoying. At least by your purchase you are supporting
    future development that you may care about.

INTERESTING READING. WOULD YOU BE SO KIND AS TO LET ME HAVE A LIST OF 3RD PARTY TOOLS AND SCRIPTS I COULD USE

CHARLES VAN EEDEN.

charles@justmail.za.net

Here's a few thousand.

Free:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/

Mostly free:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/

And my current favorite source. Not free, but pretty cheap:
    http://codecanyon.net/
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Hello Charles,

I use NoF to do the basic layout tasks, then use 4D Site Designer to add functionality.

oxfordnewzealand.co.nz is set up so it can have multiple editors via web browser, it has easily updated news and events pages and more.

nzvelvetagility.com is an online sales machine.

Costs a few dollars, but does so much.

Costs a few dollars, but does so much.
    More than a few dollars, sadly. I would love to use 4D as I do think it is probably the best back-end application short of writing your own database code (and if you have a client that can afford to pay you to do that, then you can buy 4D) and it does play nicely with NoF.

If you have only one web site then buying a single domain licence (at around $140 last time I looked) is reasonable but if you're a designer, then you need some high-paying clients to support the minimum $700+ you have to shell out for it. If you're in either of those camps, then I'd say go right ahead and buy it.

Personally, if I have a client that needs CMS, blog or similar facility, then I use wordpress to build the site. Not as flexible design-wise as NoF, but until/unless NoF adds that kind of functionality (an essential if it is to survive another iteration IMHO) I'll stick with Wordpress and Artisteer ($49 if you only need wordpress; $129 if you need to add Joomla and other CMS output).

hello 1FuleyKiwi, thanks for the reply and pointers.

I want to develop another site with dynamic processing of data and set-up a test layout before I set upon doing the actual development I want to do.
    I encountered a few problems which I do not know how to solve - and help is very scarce!!!
    Perhaps you are willing to assist???

if you would, please look at this URL: http://www.mylegalright.co.za/scripts/tutorial1/

go to "login". the first block on left is Register. - It catched duplicate usernames. but if username is not duplicated it wll take you to page where details can be filled out.

but the item 'username is available' is left blank. - I would like to bring it through from the previous page where usename was tested!!
    this is needed to remind the registrant of the username he choose which was veriefied as not being a duplicate.

the same with 'itemnumber' under the item 'Submit Client Documentation'

Duplication cause havoc in the database.

I found the following in the NOF userguide - but no help as to use it.

Table 28-2 Custom Variable Types
    Variable Type
    Description
    URL Parameter
    Variables reflecting parameters appended to a URL.
    CGI Environment
    Variables reflecting the CGI environment variables of the context of the requested template.
    Form
    Variables reflecting the values of the fields in a form submitted to the current template.
    Client
    Variables used to associate data with a specific client.
    Session
    Variables used to associate data with a given client session.
    Server
    Variables used to associate data with a given client session.
    Application
    Variables used to associate data with a specific application.
    Cookie
    Variables reflecting cookies passed by the requesting browser.

HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED as to how to implement any or all of the above in a table asper the "login" page.
    Kind regards
    Charles van Eeden