Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nof 12 not worth the money the freebie version is better

Thanking you for reverting back to me.

Usefull scripts found.

Since you kindly reverted back to me, - may I bother you for more help?

See below what my problem is - perhaps you could assist me or point me in the right direction.

After years of using NOF I now want to develop a site with dynamic processing of data and set-up a test layout before I set upon doing the actual development I want to do.
    I encountered a few problems which I do not know how to solve - and help is very scarce!!!
    Perhaps you are willing to assist???

if you would, please look at this URL: http://www.mylegalright.co.za/scripts/tutorial1/

go to "login". the first block on left is Register. - It catched duplicate usernames. but if username is not duplicated it will take you to page where details can be filled out.

but on this page the item 'username is available' is left blank. - I would like to bring it - the not duplicated username - through from the previous page where usename was tested!!
    this is needed to remind the registrant of the username he choose which was veriefied as not being a duplicate.

the same with 'itemnumber' under the item 'Submit Client Documentation' on login page.

Duplication cause havoc in the database.

I found the following in the NOF userguide - but no help as to how to use it:

Table 28-2 Custom Variable Types
    Variable Type
    Description
    URL Parameter
    Variables reflecting parameters appended to a URL.
    CGI Environment
    Variables reflecting the CGI environment variables of the context of the requested template.
    Form
    Variables reflecting the values of the fields in a form submitted to the current template.
    Client
    Variables used to associate data with a specific client.
    Session
    Variables used to associate data with a given client session.
    Server
    Application
    Variables used to associate data with a specific application.
    Cookie
    Variables reflecting cookies passed by the requesting browser.

I understand how the variable item is generated on the "sending" page - but how to collect the variable item and slot it into the correct field on the 'receiving' page??

HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED as to how to implement any or all of the above in a table as per the "login" page.
    Kind regards
    Charles van Eeden

Thanks for reply.

I run a number of wordpress sites but have not come across database functionality perhaps havent found the right plugins yet.

what I am trying to achieve?

Please read on:

I want to develop another site with dynamic processing of data and set-up a test layout before I set upon doing the actual development I want to do.
    I encountered a few problems which I do not know how to solve - and help is very scarce!!!
    Perhaps you are willing to assist???

if you would, please look at this URL: http://www.mylegalright.co.za/scripts/tutorial1/

(www.mylegalright.co.za is a worpress site!!!) with above tutorial NOF)

go to "login". the first block on left is Register. - It catched duplicate usernames. but if username is not duplicated it wll take you to page where details can be filled out.

but the item 'username is available' is left blank. - I would like to bring it through from the previous page where usename was tested!!
    this is needed to remind the registrant of the username he choose which was veriefied as not being a duplicate.

the same with 'itemnumber' under the item 'Submit Client Documentation'

Duplication cause havoc in the database.

I found the following in the NOF userguide - but no help as to use it.

Variable Type
    Description
    URL Parameter
    CGI Environment
    Variables reflecting the CGI environment variables of the context of the requested template.
    Form
    Variables reflecting the values of the fields in a form submitted to the current template.
    Client
    Session
    Server
    Application
    Cookie

HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED as to how to implement any or all of the above in a table asper the "login" page.
    Kind regards
    Charles van Eeden

Good day Franko.

Have heard a lot about Tasmania, hope you enjoy it.

Please let me know which version of NOF you are using - if at all.
    I ask this since I am using version 8 and NOF does not support such, they informed me as such!!

However from the user manual of version 12 would there be a section under data procession with the following headings:

Variable Type
    Description
    URL Parameter
    CGI Environment
    Form
    Client
    Session
    Server
    Application
    Cookie

I tried to get info on how to use the variables from this forum but nobody gives me advice on how to uses these variavles.

therefor if theses items are in the version 12? usermanual I should get an answer from NOF help.

kind regards

charles van Eeden

To: GofBorg

Please let me know which version of NOF you are using - if at all.
    I ask this since I am using version 8 and NOF does not support such, they informed me as such!!

However from the user manual of version 12 would there be a section under data procession with the following headings:

Variable Type
    Description
    URL Parameter
    CGI Environment
    Form
    Client
    Session
    Server
    Application
    Cookie

I tried to get info on how to use the variables from this forum but nobody gives me advice on how to uses these variavles.

therefor if these items are in the version 12? usermanual I should get an answer from NOF help.

kind regards

charles van Eeden

Hi Charles, I use v12 at the moment but I have used every version since NoF was in beta. If you are using version 8, have you referred to the version 8 User Guide which should be found in the Docs directory in the NetObjects program directory. If you have, then please disregard what I've just said.

If that doesn't have the info you need, then maybe the latest version of the User Guide which is for v11 may be more detailed. I've just had a quick look and there are 22 pagers on adding dynamic data from a database. However, I suspect that the variables mentioned will depend on the database you're connecting to and the language you're using to write the queries.

I'm sorry I cannot offer any further advice. I suspect what you're trying to do requires the services of a database programmer, which I'm not, and not something you can achieve within the confines of NoF alone.

Thanking you very much for the reply. That you even took the time to reply - thanks. One gets so used to people not replying!!

Could you please look in your user guide if the items I posted is in your User Guide.

Which I am sure it is, but please look.
    I am using Mysql and php basis.

In my User Guide it states that one canuse those variables - but not how to use them.
    I posed the question to NOF, but they say they dont support NOF 8.

If those variables are mentioned in your user guide, perhaps you could pose the question for me with NOF.

Kind Regards
    Charles van Eeden

Charles,

You will be more likely to receive a reply to your questions if you start a new thread with your question and subject matter clearly stated in the subject line.

Attaching a bunch of unrelated questions to the tail end of an old thread (with a slightly insulting subject line) is a sure way to NOT have your question noticed.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in