Thread: Need help with Java or Dynabuttons

Default Need help with Java or Dynabuttons

Hello all, I'm new to NOF 12 and fairly new to web publishing so if you can help and are willing to give great detail in your answers I would appreciate it.

I am trying to modify one of the "wizard" formats (before I work on my own) in such a way that when I roll-over one of the buttons (for example, the "About" button) I get a pop-up window that appears and allows me to select sub pages. I believe this is called a java button and that NoF calls it a dynabutton but I could be wrong about this. I am NOT looking for the type of button where a little description box appears, I'm looking for a sub-menu with active buttons that the user can utilize to redirect to different pages on my website.

How do I replace one of the "canned" page links with a dynabutton?

How do I create the pages that the dynabutton will link to?

How do I go to those pages to insert text, pictures, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Bill

1. I would advise strongly against using java buttons (or flash buttons) for navigation unless you have text redundancy in place.
    2. It seems to me you're talking about a javascript (note java and javascript are two entirely different things. One is an object-oriented programming language; the other a web scripting language) button. These are standard in NoF and are well covered in the manuals.

I would strongly suggest you take a day or two to learn how to use the program before embarking on a production web site. Have you worked through the User Guide and Getting Started documentation. These are available on the NoF web site Support section and I would strongly recommend working through the 'Mountain Jacques' demo site. Once you've done that you'll have a good idea how NoF works and will be able to ask more informed questions on the forum should you still need to. Note the above mentioned manuals are only updated to v11, but there is so little difference in the basic operations between v11 and v12 that they more than suffice to give you a reasonable knowledge of the program.

Thanks,

How do I get to the ... "'Mountain Jacques' demo site" you recommend, do I search the support section?

I'm definitely a newbie but not entirely green. I recently purchased NOF XII after using the free "Essentials" version for years. I've made a few websites for myself and friends and can do the basic stuff without the help of the "wizard" function. (Create pages, add pictures and hyperlinks, imbed HTML from Google Analytics, add mail links, backgrounds, stuff like that.) I would like to get just a little bit fancier with a site I'm working on for my son's business. I'm not looking to become a web master, just a bit more skillful.

- Bill

Isn't this just a flyout submenu? These can be created (almost) automatically by NOF simply by setting up the heirarchy in your site structure and activating flyout submenus on your nav bar.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Ray,

Thanks. I assume if I go looking for "flyout submenus" in the help section that I'll get some info.

If not, I'll be back !

- Bill

I could find nothing on "flyout submenus" in the help section or on the nav bar, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot.

In any case, I found that the rollover menus seem to be working automatically. As soon as I created sub-pages, the menu appears automatically.

Have a look at this thread, which includes a link to a tutorial on flyouts.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I've replied to your other thread with a link to the User Guide and Getting Started guides which have the Mountain Jacques project.