Thread: Messy layout when using HTML 4.01 or XHTML

Unhappy Messy layout when using HTML 4.01 or XHTML

I inadvertently used the default setting of HTML 4.01 with tables when I created a new site. Just noticed now and therefore changed the setting to XHTML. Totally messed up the resulting published layout. So I tried HTML 4.01 with tables instead. Same thing. Placement, alignment, font sizes are all very different in the browser than in Fusion. I really need to get this sorted since it doesn't feel quite up to date to revert to using tables for formatting.

Thanks,
    Lars.

Do you have any of those little red question marks on objects in design view?

Hi Franko,

No, no question marks, so no overlapping objects.

Hmm. You may want to post some screen shots so we can see what you're seeing. However, in my experience, xhtml sites don't render well in certain browsers. For example, on one site I built, www.cooroora.org, I could not get two pictures to line up with an xhtml output. When I changed the page to html 4.01 with Tables, they lined up just fine.

One trick I have discovered, though, is that you don't have to stick with one output method. For example, these days I usually build a site in XHTML output method in site options, but will frequently use html 4.01 or html 4.01 with tables in, say, a layout region. I have one site where the only way I could get muiltiple galleries working ok was to use all 3 output methods on one page.

I don't think Google or any other search engine will penalise you for using tables within a <div>, which is essentially what this method provides. At least, my food photography site consistently displays on the first page of Google for the search term, 'food photography' which is what I want. That site uses all three output methods. My other site consistently gets page 1 listing for 'Christian advertising agency.' Again that uses both xhtml and html 4.01 with tables on some pages.

You may find that this method solves the issue you have. And of course, as I'm sure you're aware, the most important ranking factor for Google and all other search engines is relevant, compelling and regularly updated content.