Thread: Upgrade Possible From NetObjects Fusion 4.0 to Fusion 12.0?

Default Upgrade Possible From NetObjects Fusion 4.0 to Fusion 12.0?

I have inherited the database management from the designer who designed the site in Fusion 4.0, but left the company over 4 years ago. The site runs great, but the boss wants to add a page that will require a password to access it so that only our sales reps can see it. So, we purchased the Fusion 12.0 version. I bought the book 'How To Do Everything - NetObjects Fusion 11' by David Plotkin. Overwhelmed. (My only other web design experience has been with FrontPage, and that was eons ago.)
    My question is: Can I really 'upgrade' the site, or am I better off starting from scratch, using as much of the original site as possible? For starters, the original 'Style' isn't even there any more . . .
    Thank you in advance for any/all suggestions on where/how to begin!
    Watergirl

You "can" upgrade if you follow these tutorials

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=2

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

You will need to migrate it through an interim version (the free one and this is explained in the first tutorial) as the older project files need this clean up before going to the newer versions.

Option #2 (and the best/easiest one)

you could keep everything that works exactly as it is. Then create a new site project in either 4 or 12 for the new "password protected" pages.

If you only need access by a few individuals (sales staff etc) I would recommend that you set a network password for a folder and then publish the pages you want to keep private in there. Network passwords are set in your hosting control panel (talk to your web host if you are not following me here)

If the pages are going to be "internal" i'e' never seen by the public there is no need to worry about matching the old pages when you make your "for your eyes only" pages.

Leave everything as it is now and just make the pages you need and upload them to the server level password protected folder.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

YOU, sir, are my NEW BEST FRIEND! I will follow your wise advice, and I thank you so very, very much!