Thread: publish problem... been happening for years.

Default publish problem... been happening for years.

I'm on NOF 12 now with the same glitch when publishing that has happened in previous versions. My site has about 5 different master borders throughout. Often when I publish a single updated page the borders on pages I did not publish get switched around.. mixing some of the border details. When that happens I usually just need to upload the entire site to fix it. I do empty the preview folder before publish. I usually have the publish changed assets only checked... but as we all know, everything gets uploaded anyway. http://www.jlfurniture.com/index.html

on another not... with firefox.. is there a way to have my website never load from cache.. so that when a problem is occurring I can always see it Thanks I've said this many times over the years and just want to share it again. When I built this site back with version 4... it was these newsgroups that made the experience a wonderful one. I hit some many brick walls and usually within an hour my questions were answered. Thanks again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dwolf View Post
    on another not... with firefox.. is there a way to have my website never load from cache.. !
    I have this header code:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate">
    in all my web pages, but Firefox still always saves them to cache, and I've not found any easy way to disable it, or empty the cache on exit even.
    It always needs CTRL -F5 to force a page reload to view changes that have just been uploaded.

I empty the cache (recent history etc) manually about once a week, otherwise it just fills and fills......

Yea... I'm not sure I want all users to not have the cache used on my site.. I just thought from within Firefox I could instruct it never to use cache on a specific site.

Yea... I'm not sure I want all users to not have the cache used on my site.. I just thought from within Firefox I could instruct it never to use cache on a specific site.
    Get in the habit of forcing a reload with your browser as recommended by Ken

Hold the CTRL key and press F5. This is the universal, "load everything again" browser command.

You don't want to set your browser to get fresh content as you will be very disappointed if every page you want to look at online has to load fresh every time you visit. Just reload the pages you want to see updated content on
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I should have posted my second question regarding the cache in a separate thread... My initial question so far has not been touched...

I should have posted my second question regarding the cache in a separate thread... My initial question so far has not been touched...
    What gets mixed up?
    Master Borders don't seem to be a regular problem, but I must admit after problems years ago with 'Damaged objects etc. etc.' I did get into the habit of making a backup copy of all the master borders in a site. For example, if Border1 was an important part of the site, I'd make a copy Border1_1 just so that there was something to fall back to.

The only other problem I've had is with the built in graphic 'rounded rectangles' etc. I use them now and again for links to information pop-ups.
    I find that NOF often gets them confused, especially if I add text to them. Doesn't seem to happen if I add my own graphics, only with NOF generated ones....

My apologies if that doesn't cover the problems you're having!

If you head over to my art deco gallery.... you will see the master border is different.. It's green.. sometimes I get some green buttons and blue mixed... that's usually the worst of it.

I've had similar experience when I've modified the MLR styling. If I publish a single page elsewhere, the mods get toasted.

Near as I can figure is this: Every time you publish, the CSS files get regenerated. BUT, they only generate the CSS code for the actual pages published. So when you skip a page, any styling on that page does not get included.

I either do a full publish every time, or make sure I select each of the pages with the edited MLR, whether I've changed them or not. I'm guessing you're getting something similar with your MasterBorders.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Twayne

Default Re: publish problem... been happening for years.

In news:RayC.5q9jlb@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    RayC <RayC.5q9jlb@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > I've had similar experience when I've modified the MLR
    > styling. If I publish a single page elsewhere, the mods
    > get toasted.
    >
    > Near as I can figure is this: Every time you publish, the
    > CSS files get regenerated. BUT, they only generate the
    > CSS code for the actual pages published. So when you skip
    > a page, any styling on that page does not get included.

I thought on-page CSS code over-rode external CSS?

>
    > I either do a full publish every time, or make sure I
    > select each of the pages with the edited MLR, whether
    > I've changed them or not. I'm guessing you're getting
    > something similar with your MasterBorders.
    >

What do you mean when you say "Full PUblish"?

Anyway: That sounds very likely to be the problem. I don't publish "Entire
    Site" very often, but I do uncheck the "Changed Assets Only" box if I want
    to be sure a Current Page or "Selected Pages" comes out properly. I do
    Selected Pages if I've touched anything in a menu and definitely if I've
    used flyouts, as I often do.
    In those cases I'll republish the entire breadcrumb trail all the way
    back to the Home Page to be certan all the menus get caught up.
    "Changed Assets Only" is really only recommended, IMO, when things other
    than links are changed; d.g. text, an image added/resized, etc. It should be
    used sparingly, IMO.

HTH,

Twayne`