Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Image Display Issues in Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by brownmil29 View Post
    Greetings Ray,

How do I make that change? While I understand conceptually what you are talking about, I am not familiar with the program enough on how to make that change.

I do value your assistance in resolving this issue.

Respectfully,

Keith
    You will need some sort of graphic editing program. Open the images up in the program, then, depending on the program, either select a conversion to change from CMYK to RGB, or simply re-save or export choosing RGB as the desired colour space.

You should really have some sort of graphics editing program available when doing web design. If you don't, IrfanView is a freeware program that is a handy tool to have. You can view just about any kind of graphics file and do some basic editing like resizing, colour adjustments, etc. I believe it works internally in RGB, so simply opening and re-saving your files is likely to do the conversion for you. There is also a batch processing function that you could set up to load, say, an entire folder, perform some function then save. In your case, simply open and re-save would do it.

HTH
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Joe Rotello

Default Re: Image Display Issues in Internet Explorer

On 2/20/2013 1:04 PM, brownmil29 wrote:
    > I agree with Ray. Having worked in DoD before being medically retired,
    > while the rest of the world was using Microsoft Vista, most of DoD was
    > still using XP and many applications had not been updated to use the new
    > OS. Given the target audience that I am looking at, most inside DoD, I
    > have to make sure that the website will display under IE8 correctly.
    >
    > It is critical that the web designer understand the target audience and
    > thus Ray's comments were spot on.
    >
    > Well Done Ray.

I still respect Ray's stance, and yes, the worst situation is that
    Internet Explorer 9 uses Direct2D for hardware acceleration, which is
    unavailable in Windows XP.

Although many believe that if you want to use a modern browser, use a
    modern operating system...

....too many corporates and government agencies are mired in the digital
    dark ages, trying to cope with the second decade of the 21st century
    using Win XP that was developed more than 10+ years ago, almost in the
    latter part of the previous century.

And just as bad, these users have to beg current day programmers and
    web-page coders/designers to be stuck in the mire along with them.

Indeed, a bad situation to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    OK. I think I've found your problem.

Your images are in CMYK colour space. Convert them to RGB and see what happens.

I dare you!
    I understand conceptually what you are saying, but how is it done, as I have not been able to find the section of the layout that discusses the CMYK vs RGB section.

Please advise.

Many thanks,

This is not done in NOF; it a property of the graphic file itself. At the risk of inflaming Joe even more, the CMYK issue is a bug in IE8 and most other browsers deal with it effectively.

If you wanted to know:

CMYK = Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK, and uses those four colours to create all the various shades, tints, hues, etc. It is primarily used for print and it indicates the colours of the inks used to create the image. Think inkjet printer with these ink cartridge colours.

RGB = Red, Green Blue, and combines those three colours to create an image, and is the technology used for video displays. The difference is, rather than inks which block light, the Red, Green and Blue are created by light sources which show light. So a CMYK image displayed by a computer monitor will internally be converted by the monitor or graphics card to RGB, and the colours will render differently. This is the big problem with doing graphic design on a computer for something that will end up in print. There are all kinds of hoops to jump through to get things in the colour you want.

So if you have CorelDRAW, Photoshop, Illustrator, or any of a host of other commercial or free image editing programs, you can specify what colour space you want your exported images to be saved in. Typically, if you are creating from scratch, you will work in the colour space that you want for the final product, but there are options to convert. As I said, just the process of opening and re-saving an image in IrfanView will convert it to RGB, as that is the only colour space that it uses*. (*I think).

It's free. Try it.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    You will need some sort of graphic editing program. Open the images up in the program, then, depending on the program, either select a conversion to change from CMYK to RGB, or simply re-save or export choosing RGB as the desired colour space.

You should really have some sort of graphics editing program available when doing web design. If you don't, IrfanView is a freeware program that is a handy tool to have. You can view just about any kind of graphics file and do some basic editing like resizing, colour adjustments, etc. I believe it works internally in RGB, so simply opening and re-saving your files is likely to do the conversion for you. There is also a batch processing function that you could set up to load, say, an entire folder, perform some function then save. In your case, simply open and re-save would do it.

HTH
    Greetings Ray,

I have downloaded the afore mentioned program, and reviewed the image. I saved it with a different name to make sure that I tried a file that should have used the new RGB features. However, no luck.

Is there a way that I could send you the file and have you look at it and provide comment as to the issue with it.

I am in the process of uploading the website with the "new file". Let me know what plan you might have. It should take about 5 - 10 minutes to upload the site.

Many thanks,

Keith

I just checked your test site, and the image (...logo2) shows a colour space of "undefined". No idea what that means, but it still loads up as CMYK.

Looking at the file properties, it indicates it was created by Photoshop. Is that what you have? If so, if you perform an export there should be an option to export as RGB.

If you don't have anything, you could try this: http://www.cmykconverter.com/

One other thing: the image displayed on the site is sized to about 280 x280 pixels, yet the image is actually 682 x 679. You might want to also resize the image to the actual size you want to display. Even though it displays at 280 pixels, the page still loads teh 680 pixel file. This may not seem like much at first glance, but the file size is actually 6 times what you need. If you do that sort of thing throughout your site, load times go up and ranking goes down.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Greetings Ray,

When I open a jpeg in irfranview, it shows the compression as jpeg, cmyk, quality 98 subsampling OFF.

I have tried resizing the image to see if I can get it to change from CMYK to RGB, but have had no luck.

Any thoughts on what I can do to convert the image, if as you indicate is the problem.

Many thanks for your assistance on this issue.

Greetings Ray,

You are spot on. I used the conversion application sited above, inserted the rgb version in the page and success. I am thinking of putting a caveat at the bottom of the page citing the original images were sharper and brighter, but given the issues with IE8 we had to choose this display format. Your thoughts.

Many thanks for your assist.

Keith

Glad you got it sorted.

Unless you used compression, the new files should not be noticeably less sharp, provided they are being displayed at 100% size.

Don't give up on IrfanView -- it's a quirky little program, but can be quite handy. If you go back to the Irfanview website and download and install the plugin collection, then you can use File -> Save for web... which will convert to RGB among other things.

Using Irfanview, with quality set to 100% (minimal compression) the file size changed from 800 MB to 160 MB. Once resized to 280x280, it was down to 42MB. That's 1/20th the size of the original.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in