Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to insert WOW Slider into NOF 12

This thread is getting a little old, but to fill out what you've said, Anton:

NOF will publish with jQuery when site generation is not HTML 4.01 w/ tables and when you use MLRs. There are a couple of other instances when jQuery is published, like when you use databases with AJAX enabled or timeline animations, although I doubt that is very common.

You should only have one call to load jQuery on a page. If you load multiple versions, you are liable to have conflicts in the scripts.

To deal with this, check out the jQuery Substitution script in the SwissKnife components written for NOF. You can tell it to substitute a different version of jQuery for the one NOF uses (which is quite old).

Basically do as follows:
    1. Determine the earliest version of jQuery that your 3rd-party script (i.e. WowSlider) requires
    2. Tell "Replace jQuery" to use that one in place of the one NOF would publish
    3. Remove the jQuery call that the script asks for
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

I have wowslider working perfectly here. I didn't manually edit the code and I don't have to do anything when I make changes to the page. NoF retains the wowslider code without any problems. However I do still use v1.0.1 as I see no need to upgrade it so perhaps this is the reason it works flawlessly.

Franko,

Well, you have the same mistake that everyone (including myself) has made. Here's some of your code:

<!-- Start WOWSlider.com HEAD section -->
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="engine/style.css" media="screen" />
    <style type="text/css">a#vlb{display:none}</style>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="engine/jquery.js"></script>
    <!-- End WOWSlider.com HEAD section -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="./jquery.js">

You have two calls to load jQuery one right after the other, no less. Your saving grace is, in fact, using the old version of WowSlider. NOF uses jQuery v1.3.2 and this version of WowSlider uses v1.4.2. These versions are close enough that you are not inducing any (noticeable) conflicts by loading both.

You are still asking site visitors to load jQuery twice, though, which is an unnecessary and redundant request. Like having the same graphic twice and having each load a different file.

So it works, but only by luck.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

So it works, but only by luck.
    Nah, by my policy of not upgrading stuff unless there's a real reason to do so . Actually since it works I haven't done anything about it, but future uses I may have to give the swiss-knife thingy a go.

hmmm, my html output is HTML 4.01 with tables and I don't use MLRs or animations, I do use the very latest wowslider 3.4

Nof insists on publishing jquery.js

in any case, it works perfect using Nof9, so no big deal

I'm trying to insert WOW slider code on www.organicfest.org site created with NOF 12 and I can't get it to work. I'm a small business owner without a lot of web tech knowledge on what I'm doing here. THANKS.

Two things (to start).

1. You are calling jQuery twice, which you should not do. This can get a little tricky, since NOF inserts a jQuery call, and you insert a jQuery call with WoWSlider code. Here is a snippet of your page code:
    HTML Code:
    	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="engine1/style.css" />
    	<script type="text/javascript" src="engine1/jquery.js"></script>

<meta name="verify-v1" content="PPFFsXEMEL9h1+giAZjedJbKgQboN3ZcirWrp+tDacU=" />

</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="./navbars.js">
    </script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./fusion.css">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./style.css">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./site.css">
    <style type="text/css" title="NOF_STYLE_SHEET">
    Note the
    and a couple of lines later

The tricky part is, the version that NOF automatically inserts will not work with WoW Slider, so you have to "convince" NOF to load a different version of jQuery.

If all of the above is complete jibberish to you, then the easiest way to do this is to put WoWSlider on a separate page using a ZERO_MARGIN masterborder with no navigation. Set the page size to the exact size of your slider.

Then on the Home page, use an I-Frame where you want the slider and use that to load the page with the slider.

2. Yes, there is still a "2". It looks like you did not upload the files to your server. The "/engine1/" folder and everything in it needs to be uploaded to your server.

This code that you have inserted...
    HTML Code:
    	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="engine1/style.css" />
    ...is looking for the files "style.css" and "jquery.js" inside the folder /engine1/ on your server.
    Last edited by RayC; 09-01-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thanks RayC ... I will work on your suggestions this evening. Appreciate your help!

I have also download and tried a slider maker named Hi slider, I don't know if it is from the same company with wow slider. I have tried both software, wow slider can only apply single transition to a slider, but hi slider can apply more transition effects. Well, on wow slider website, I can change transition effects online.

That looks like a cool slider. Not a whole lot different from WOW Slider, but it does have some unique features.

Too bad it doesn't work so well in IE8.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in