Thread: NOF 9 "Backups" all Corrupted?

Default NOF 9 "Backups" all Corrupted?

Howdy All,

Long time NOF user since v. 1 when it was packaged with the boxed version of Netscape Communicator but by no means adept at using NOF or "web mastery" even after the vast majority of versions including v.12.

My old hard drive went bad and had a new one installed. I was able to reinstall NOF 9 and import all of my Templates. Everything worked well until this past week when I made some type of goof working in my .nod file and couldn't figure out what I did or how to fix it. I thought I'd open the site from the latest backup and found that all of my backups are apparently corruped(?). I get a message stating "damaged objects have been found and deleted". I have no pictures, only white boxes with the red exclamation mark in them. I ALWAYS verify my Assets before exporting my templates and exiting NOF.

In addition to that, I also get the message "the current site style has been deleted". I tried to remedy the site style issue by copying and pasting the styles folder into the site(?). That didn't help as it won't recognize the style - even when I've tried to import it or change to a different style and then switch back to the style I was using which I copied and pasted into the Styles folder.

My Masterborders are completely gone and so are my picture assets.

My templates all seem perfectly in order but my backups are completely shot. The only way I can open my site is from the template (nft) when I've goofed something up and can't figure out what I did wrong or how to fix it. Aren't I supposed to be able to open my latest "backup" prior to my creating an error in order to get back to the most recent "saved" work? I've also tried copying my most recent .nod backup file into the the main site folder which apparently remedies the "damaged objects" pics and have of my Masterborder is visible bu the top half with the banner isn't.

I'm running Windows XP, Service Pack 3 and all updates and running NOF v.9.10

I'm almost ready to cry - because I have no hair left to pull out. I sure would appreciate some insight and assistance from some of the experts here because I don't know what to do anymore.

Cheers,

Greg
    Last edited by gpartrid; 02-17-2013 at 04:27 AM.

You need to first move the backup file from the backup folder into the main user sites / project name folder before opening otherwise none of the images will show.

More details on this gotFusion tutorial: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4035
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Once you get your sit project working, create templates before you start to work (each day if you work on your site every day)

This is my how to export site as a template tutorial:

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

When you have a full site template exported it is a simple task (just a few mouse clicks) to create a new site project with your last exported template

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

Also when working and you find you have foo bared, use CTRL+Z to "undo" what goofed things up. You can "undo" all the way back to the first keystroke you made on that page. Just DO NOT leave the page as the undo history is only kept for the time you aree a page, once you leave all of the undo history is deleted and started again for the new page you go to.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Hello Turtle,

Thanks again for bailing me out - can't count how often this has happened over the years. Yes, it's true, you and NOF will grow old together ;-)

I'm aware of the "undo" feature within the page. I goofed up a banner and something else and couldn't get it straightened out again. Therefore, I believed I had to abandon (read; close) my .nod site - which caused me to lose all of the corrections I had made to my links in my Assets folder. An hour's worth of work down the tube. No use going back to the backup from that time as, after re-opening my site from the template I had made the day before, I've made changes which is now the current status of my .nod file.

If I understand you correctly, I need to move the backup file into the folder in which my .nod file resides? I believe I did that last night and my style isn't showing up correctly - it's missing the top bar. That's neither here nor there at this point regarding previous backups.

My BIG concern is that future backup (from today forward) will inherit the same problem I'm having with my current backup that I copied into my site folder - half of the style items are missing. I don't seem to be able to reproduce what I created years ago through trial and error. Everytime I make a mistake I'm not able to fix, I have to re-open my site from the latest template. It gets old very quickly spending so much time on verifying assests, optimizing and exporting the .nft file to 3 different drives several times during my work process.

Turtle, how do I ensure my Style in the Masterborder displays in the backups as it does in my .nod and .nft files???

You may have a style issue.

you can start by making a dup of your existing style, setting it active and removing all of the other styles in you active style area

A tutorial http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=117

Close then re-open the site project after doing this.

If this does not fix your issue, create a NEW master border based on your existing one and set the NEW one to all of your pages. Then go back and delete the old masterborder so that you only have 1 masterborder and 1 zeromargins border showing in the list (unless you use several custom ones, then make dups of those and remove the old ones, making sure to set them on the appropriate pages that use them).

Close and re-open your site project after doing this

One (or both) of theses options should correct your problem. If not post back

Turtle,

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and writing it all down. I'll definitely reply regarding my efforts to iron out the "deficits". ;-)