Thread: Proper meta tag?

Default Proper meta tag?

I thought it might be a good idea to include meta tag description & keywords so I gave it a go. However the html seemed to already include something similar. Does NOF self generate these? Is it ok to add lines of my own?
    This is what it looks like:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE> Title of Page will be generated by NetObjects Fusion. </TITLE>

<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT=" art materials and supplies for beginner or professional. Custom framing. Large selection of picture frames, art and gifts,">
    <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="art supplies, art materials, acrylics, oils, watercolors, pastels, drawing supplies, paper, handmade paper, gifts, art, pottery,
    jewelry, picture frames, custom framing, gilding, gold leaf, matting ">

<!-- DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" -->
    <META CONTENT="NetObjects Fusion 7 for Windows" NAME="Generator">
    <META CONTENT="Art works art and frame art supplies art materials custom framing restoration period frames, gold leaf frames children's art supplies handmade paper
    excelsior mineapolis oil paint arcylic paint drawing artist brushes easels canvas journals water color pastel art caligraphy cartooning drafting supplies gilding
    supplies framing art books pens markers art kits origami dry pigments" NAME="Keywords">

<!-- NetObjects Fusion Generated HEAD HTML-->
    </HEAD>

Highlighted is what I added. Is this ok?
    Thanks, Terry

If you go to Site View and select a page, in the Page Properties at the right, the third page property over is Meta Tag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meta tag.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	1324

There is a drop-down list of different tag types, and a large block to enter tag content.

A check box at the bottom instructs NOF to apply the select tag to all pages, if you want.
    Last edited by RayC; 02-19-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

There's no need to add these meta tags manually.

Go to Site View and select a page. Your index page to start with.

In its properties, click on the third tab. That's where you enter the values for Description and Keywords, among others.

You can choose to have the same meta tags on all pages or do each page individually.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Netobjects Fusion 7...?
    It looks like you first started your project in NOF7?
    And the second part of theses "Metas" where inserted already in the old NOF version?
    Sometimes these old things are hard to get rid of.
    Maybe you inserted these Metas manually and can find them back by looking in the HTML of either layout or masterborder.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

[QUOTE=RayC;67277]If you go to Site View and select a page, in the Page Properties at the right, the third page property over is Meta Tag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meta tag.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	1324

There is a drop-down list of different tag types, and a large block to enter tag content.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    There's no need to add these meta tags manually.

Go to Site View and select a page. Your index page to start with.

In its properties, click on the third tab. That's where you enter the values for Description and Keywords, among others.

You can choose to have the same meta tags on all pages or do each page individually.
    I had read this in the Helps but somehow it took your finger on the switch to turn on the light. Thank you. I take it that it would be best to delete what I added & redo from the site view palette.

Quote Originally Posted by mia View Post
    Netobjects Fusion 7...?
    It looks like you first started your project in NOF7?
    And the second part of theses "Metas" where inserted already in the old NOF version?
    Sometimes these old things are hard to get rid of.
    Maybe you inserted these Metas manually and can find them back by looking in the HTML of either layout or masterborder.
    Yes, this site was built originally in NOF7. I guess that didn't even occur to me. Have I created a scrambled mess? Everything seems to look & work ok in preview. Suggested course of action? Just delete that section? The home page seems to be the only place that shows up in the html.

<META CONTENT="Art works art and frame art supplies art materials custom framing restoration period frames, gold leaf frames children's art supplies handmade paper
    excelsior mineapolis oil paint arcylic paint drawing artist brushes easels canvas journals water color pastel art caligraphy cartooning drafting supplies gilding
    supplies framing art books pens markers art kits origami dry pigments" NAME="Keywords">
    This bit is obviously inserted in your old NOF7.
    And you should try to delete it.
    It's just the question, how did you put these Metas in there?
    If you inserted them manually in the html of your layout or your masterborder, just go back there to find out if you still have access to these Metas to delete them.
    Layout properties and masterborder properties and then click HTML.
    With a bit of luck you can get rid of them.

And after you deleted this old stuff you can start fresh with inserting the new ones.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Quote Originally Posted by mia View Post
    This bit is obviously inserted in your old NOF7.
    And you should try to delete it.
    It's just the question, how did you put these Metas in there?
    If you inserted them manually in the html of your layout or your masterborder, just go back there to find out if you still have access to these Metas to delete them.
    Layout properties and masterborder properties and then click HTML.
    With a bit of luck you can get rid of them.

And after you deleted this old stuff you can start fresh with inserting the new ones.
    Shouldn't be a problem, the html is from my home page layout properties. Not really sure how the NOF7 stuff got there though. Is everything I've highlighted below to be deleted then?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE> Title of Page will be generated by NetObjects Fusion. </TITLE>

<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT=" art materials and supplies for beginner or professional. Custom framing. Large selection of picture frames, art and gifts,">
    <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="art supplies, art materials, acrylics, oils, watercolors, pastels, drawing supplies, paper, handmade paper, gifts, art, pottery,
    jewelry, picture frames, custom framing, gilding, gold leaf, matting ">

<!-- DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" -->

<!-- NetObjects Fusion Generated HEAD HTML-->
    </HEAD>

If you're referring to the blue stuff, yes, it can all go. I notice in the blue you also have a second DOCTYPE declaration. This DEFINITELY MUST GO! You should only have one doctype declaration for the page.

NOF automatically inserts a couple of META TAGs, one being "Generator" saying the page was generated by Netobjects Fusion. The others are up to you.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thank you. I appreciate you all taking time to help out someone for whom this is all new territory. I owe you all a beer next time you're in town. Cheers! Terry