Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Keyword insertion & Page layout choices and robots revisit

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default Keyword insertion & Page layout choices and robots revisit

    Hi,

    Firstly let me explain that I know nothing about html - other than using Fusion over the years so I require detailed explanations that I can easily follow- thanks in advance for this!
    I'm in the process of transfering an old site from Fusion 7 to Fusion 12.
    Not sure which layout format. HTML with Tabels, HTML 4 etc... is the best to use - thoughts on what works best?

    I also see that there is html options for both the masterboarder and the layout. Which is better?
    Should one use one or the other or both?
    Could I use general keywords about my site in the master boarder and specific page keywords in the body?
    Can the master boarder html be different for each page or does it remain constant over the site?

    I tried using both in my exisitng fusion 7 site and while it ranked well in google, the page reference was to the body ie. www.home-inspectors.com/body_services rather than the page itself www.home-inspectors,.com/services
    Can't see what I did wrong. I looked at a few of the GOTfusion tutorials but I really didn't understand them very well.

    Also when saying robots visit X days, do all pages have to be a consistant number or can I suggest that pages I change more often - be less days in between crawls?

    Thanks for your help - you folks are awesome!
    Kim

    Thanks
    Last edited by kimcourt; 02-23-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #2
    Senior Member gotFusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    www.gotHosting.biz
    Posts
    4,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kimcourt View Post
    Hi,

    Firstly let me explain that I know nothing about html - other than using Fusion over the years so I require detailed explanations that I can easily follow- thanks in advance for this!
    I'm in the process of transfering an old site from Fusion 7 to Fusion 12.
    Not sure which layout format. HTML with Tabels, HTML 4 etc... is the best to use - thoughts on what works best?
    Even though tables are considered passe you will find that you have the best cross browser compatibility using tables as the html output option.

    Quote Originally Posted by kimcourt View Post
    I also see that there is html options for both the masterboarder and the layout. Which is better?
    Should one use one or the other or both?
    Could I use general keywords about my site in the master boarder and specific page keywords in the body?
    Can the master boarder html be different for each page or does it remain constant over the site?
    You can use the built in meta tag inserter if you want to fight with it.

    http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4052

    I still use the masterborder and layout insertion way as that is what I always have used.

    Masterborder should contain global meta tags such as copyright, distribution, rating as anything inserted with the masterborder html option appears on EVER page

    Layout html insertino should be used for page spacific meta tags like description and keywords as each page will need its own meta description and keywords

    Quote Originally Posted by kimcourt View Post
    I tried using both in my exisitng fusion 7 site and while it ranked well in google, the page reference was to the body ie. www.home-inspectors.com/body_services rather than the page itself www.home-inspectors,.com/services
    Can't see what I did wrong. I looked at a few of the GOTfusion tutorials but I really didn't understand them very well.
    when you see a body url that it means you are using frames. Press F10 in page view and look on the frames tab of the masterborder properties palette. Make sure that you do not have any frames selected

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setFrames..gif 
Views:	504 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	1332


    Quote Originally Posted by kimcourt View Post
    I looked at a few of the GOTfusion tutorials but I really didn't understand them very well.
    Ouch.....

    Did you go over my SEO ranking tutorial? http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4051

    Quote Originally Posted by kimcourt View Post
    Also when saying robots visit X days, do all pages have to be a consistant number or can I suggest that pages I change more often - be less days in between crawls?
    Most bots don't follow this directive and will return when they want to. Best to not use it. Use a robots.txt file to exclude pages or folders from crawling but leave the meta revisit (pragma) tag out.


    Quote Originally Posted by kimcourt View Post
    Thanks for your help - you folks are awesome!
    Kim

    Thanks
    Last edited by gotFusion; 02-23-2013 at 06:39 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

  3. #3
    Twayne
    Guest

    Default Re: Keyword insertion & Page layout choices and robots revisit

    In news:gotFusion.5r8afb@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    gotFusion <gotFusion.5r8afb@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > kimcourt wrote:


    ....

    >
    > kimcourt wrote:
    >> Also when saying robots visit X days, do all pages have
    >> to be a consistant number or can I suggest that pages I
    >> change more often - be less days in between crawls?

    >
    > Most bots don't follow this directive and will return
    > when they want to. Best to not use it. Use a robots.txt
    > file to exclude pages or folders from crawling but leave
    > the meta revisit (pragma) tag out.


    The reputable bots WILL indeed respect the robots.txt file; Google, Bing et
    al, in fact. To get a better ranking, and keep junk out of the listings, the
    file is quite useful.
    But it won't keep rogues out who don't care, that's true. I check often
    and none of those are visiting me at all anymore. In reality there are few
    rogue search engines anymore compared to a few years ago. What you get now
    are crawlers, looking for e-mail addresses, URLs, and personal information
    they can find and anything worth stealing. Nowadays security has taken hold
    as the most needed, but the robots.txt file is still great for legitimate
    search engines.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    >
    > kimcourt wrote:
    >> Thanks for your help - you folks are awesome!
    >> Kim
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    >
    > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    >> Filename:
    >> &#115;&#101;&#116;&#70;&#114;&#97;&#109;&#101;&#11 5;&#46;.gif|
    >> Download:
    >> http://forums.netobjects.com/attachm...chmentid=1332|

    > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    >
    >
    > *Mike - (turtle)* - Web Hosting - NetObjects Fusion
    > support and training starts at $9.95
    > *Web Hosting* + hand holding support + *ASP* + *PHP* +
    > *ColdFusion* FREE one on one *Fusion Support* with all
    > web hosting accounts Microsoft Windows and Red Hat Linux
    > web hosting platforms 'http://www.gotHosting.biz'
    > (http://www.gothosting.biz/) - 'http://www.gotFusion.com'
    > (http://www.gotfusion.com/)





Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •