Thread: User Sites folder

Default User Sites folder

I may be putting too much effort into this, but I am running an online backup of my NOF10 user sites folder, it updates them immediately online, since they change constantly daily with additions and changes to the various sites.

The reason I did this recently was because I am getting a new computer and plan to download the user sites folder from the online backup on to the new computer. After I reinstall NOF10, and then place the user sites into the user sites folder of the reinstalled NOF, will this work? I had started making templates of all these sites to save for the new computer , then I thought WHAT GOOD would that do, as when I get the new computer they will not reflect any changes I have made to the sites between now and then.

Am I missing anything, or going about this wrong?

Shyanne

Yes, you are going about it wrong

You want to be exporting to template.

Here are some tutorials that go into more detail

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=2
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Ok this is where I am at in thinking what I should do when the time comes.

1. Install NOF10 on new computer

2.add templates to the template folder in NOF10 on new computer.

3. Open NOF10 on new computer and open each site from their template and save on exit.

4. Now this is where I am stuck, since the newly installed NOF10 templates will not reflect any changes made to the sites between the time I saved them as templates and what they now currently reflect (since I update the sites on a daily basis) after I do #3 above HOW do I get the most current sites into the newly installed NOF10 on the new computer without having to redo all the changes since the time I made the template and now?

I am running an online backup of all NOF10 files that updates them as I make any changes just incase they should be needed for the new computer.

Thank you for your help, sorry if I am slow to understand, since my last stroke I have difficulty comprehending things as well, I also lost a good part of my vision because of the stroke. But I try and do not give up!

Shyanne

You have to stop working when you transfer to a new computer.

Fusion is a database program that writes html as its "report". It only knows what is not done within its database interface (the program itself). The html pages it creates are external to the program as they are the "report" it makes.

It would be like using an accounting program and a written ledger. Anything you enter with a pencil in the ledger after the accounting program creates the report will not be in the accounting database program records as the program cannot know what is on the piece of paper after it made the report.

If you need the flexibility of being able to work on a web site from multiple locations I would suggest that you use Fusion as your design and layout tool then never use it again. You can then use an html editor to edit content with. In other words, use 2 different programs and never use Fusion again on that web site project once you start using the other program to edit content.

If you are just "moving" to a single new computer, then get to a stopping point and move to your new computer, then start using Fusion on your new computer but do not go back to the old machine unless you do the export/import process on the database file to take it between machines.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 03-10-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

I have followed the steps in how to verify/reoptimize and export a template page, BUT now I have a mess. Before I did this to all sites I thought I would try doing it for just one to get familiar with how it works, however after I followed all the steps and then went into the site in NOF to view it everything is overlapping with red ! everywhere. It was not this way before I started the process, what went wrong? I seem to remember years ago when I went through this process before the same thing happened on other sites. How do I get the site back to normal before something went wrong? Help

If you want to go back to how it was before you ran the re-optomize

Open windows explorer and look in your site project folder for a folder called "Recover"

You will find the old project file in that folder (????.nod). The first thing Fusion does when you run the re-optomize is make a copy of the original file in that folder.

Using windows explorer MOVE the file in the Recover folder into the Project folder, then click on it to open Fusion. You will be back to the exact point you were at just before you clicked your mouse on the re-optomize option.

The fact that your site did not go through the re-optomize procedure shows that you have problems with your project database file. You may want to chase down and fix these problems in the "wonky" re-optomized file then run the re-optomize again, rather than ignore the problems until they get so bad your project file will not open or crash the software. Your choices at that point are to start all over again.