Thread: Navigation Buttons in Header - weird flyout bs?

Default Navigation Buttons in Header - weird flyout bs?

So, every time I progress, I hit another stupid problem:

Navigation Buttons with fly-outs in the header - I get a stupid scrolling thing going on in the header.
    Can't the flyouts actually go down over the rest of the site?

Here's an example: http://www.georgejanes.com/newsite/index.html

Specifically, if you look at either "About Us" or "Projects", you won't see the flyouts, until you hover your mouse in the header and use your scroll wheel to scroll down...but this is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something (besides manners ).

You are using frames for your site, which "contains" all of the content within each frame. They work similarly to I-Frames. Note the scrollbar that comes up in your header when you try to access the flyouts.

Frames are a bit of a throwback to the last century, and are considered bad form nowadays. Also, it's bad for SEO. Imagine someone doing a search for exactly what you have to sell, and they find this link. Not a very good result.

There have been a couple of discussions about frames very recently, including this one from a couple of weeks ago. Have a look for more discussion and how to turn them off.

HTH
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Whoops, I see how that could have been misconstrued as all the "stupids" being tossed at NOF, however, I can assure you, I was assigning the "stupids" to my own misunderstandings and the results stemming from the fact that I am a hack. Also, I am averaging 5 hours of sleep a night, for many many many weeks and was pretty out of it when I wrote that.

Thanks for your reply none-the-less!

There have been a couple of discussions about frames very recently, including this one from a couple of weeks ago. Have a look for more discussion and how to turn them off.
    HTH
    And, I see you talk about frames there too!

I get that frames are an old way of doing things, it's unfortunate, because what I want to happen is "easier" to do using frames, so I'll have to figure something else out. I love researching and learning new things, but I also love sleep, so...

Thanks for your help RayC. I get it now.
    Last edited by brianheagney; 03-12-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: too many exclamation points.

Quote Originally Posted by brianheagney View Post
    Whoops, I see how that could have been misconstrued as all the "stupids" being tossed at NOF, however, I can assure you, I was assigning the "stupids" to my own misunderstandings and the results stemming from the fact that I am a hack. Also, I am averaging 5 hours of sleep a night, for many many many weeks and was pretty out of it when I wrote that.

Thanks for your reply none-the-less!
    This is a user to user forum and everyone on here is only here to help others by giving their time, so it will go a long way to be pleasant as you will find that a lot of the long time forum members will just pass by posts where the tone is antagonistic or looks like it is going over the cliff before it even gets started.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 03-12-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    ..so it will go a long way to be pleasant...
    I know, I thought I had acknowledged the fact that I had made a mistake in representing my tone. In my head (which was extremely sleep deprived) I had thought I was being playful and, add to that a little bit of my self-deprecating style taking over, and, well, you see what happened. I still am sleep deprived (and probably will be for a long time) so if I'm misrepresenting myself here, I apologize in advance.

We've all felt the frustration, so I get it. I'm not saying you fall into this category, but I get a little weary of seeing posts called "This program sucks" when someone simply hasn't taken the time to learn the ropes. And it's always hard to interpret "tone" through a text posting.

Regarding frames, you really should avoid them entirely. I've seen sites back in the day that had 5 scroll bars displayed -- one for each frame. Not attractive.

The Master Border area does a lot of what frames do without the drawbacks. Anything placed in the MasterBorder area will appear on any page that uses that Master Border.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Hah, no I LOVE NOF. I was making personal websites years ago doing it one page at a time, really tedious. When I worked for a professional firm the first time, and saw what NOF did, I was so amazed, and started using their free version, and finally a little while ago got a paid "real" version. I love it and think it's great.

When I started using NOF, I was basically updating our firm's website, and they were using frames (at least, I think they were). That was back in 2005, I'm not sure if we were already behind the times then. But basically, we were architects/planners, and we were our own tech support/website hacks, so we did a lot of our own research, and went with the best we could do, but really, focused on our own jobs. So, that's why I was using frames to begin with. But you know what I LOVE about frames? The fact that the website navigation buttons always remain on top, like an excel top frame, I just love seeing that stuff remain on top, instead of disappearing when you scroll down. Oh well.

Thanks for understanding Ray.

We've all felt the frustration, so I get it. I'm not saying you fall into this category, but I get a little weary of seeing posts called "This program sucks" when someone simply hasn't taken the time to learn the ropes. And it's always hard to interpret "tone" through a text posting
    It's been quite a while since I have seen RTFM as a response to someone.

Everyone on here goes out of their way to be helpful and courteous.

Not many forums out there where you can find such a pleasant group of gentleman (and ladies...) as you have on the NetO forums
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

You can achieve the floating menu, always visible at the top of the page effect using a DHTML menu program like AllWebMenus.

Works great with Fusion using the free component. (AWM isn't free, but the component is).

http://www.likno.com/?a_aid=bb20a47e
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums