Thread: Uploading files

Default Uploading files

I have been using Essentials for about 2 years and have uploaded files to my site with no problem. 2 days ago, I starting getting the message that my login and password was incorrect and did not understand why this happened. I tried several versions of user names and passwords as well as going to the server to reset and/or verify that my user name and passwords were actually matching. Also went to another website that I have (not created using Essentials) and tried to upload a test file there and all to no avail. I then checked my server's status and found that the FTPD has failed and so I sent them a message about it and they did a reset on it which cleared up all of the problems that I was having with uploads except one - Essentials. During the inital problematic upload, it was taking like 30 - 40 minutes so I aborted the upload. Doing that, it sort of locked up Essentials to the point that I had to use Taskmaster in Windows XP to stop the process and get out of Essentials. Now after having done all of the above and everything is working with the server, when I try to upload files, it does connect but no files are being transfered and I have to go back to Taskmaster to get out of it. I thought maybe a glitch happened when I aborted the first time, so I went and re-installed a backup .nod file and got the same response. Then I thought maybe I have a bad file due to the abort, so I downloaded Essentials to a seperate folder and copied all of the files from the newest installation to rewrite over the installation I had a problem (did this because I did not want to just delete the whole program and lose any .css style files or page files and then would have to recreate them) and still the problem exists. I have spent a couple of hours reading other forums to see if there was some kind of discussion about this kind of problem and I haven't found one. I have connected to the server with Filezilla, so that can't be it, so I think I have a bad file or something which I am all ears regarding someone's input into this problem. Any help or suggetions of any kind is greatly appreciated. Also, I would like to thank you in advance for taking your valueable time in reading this post and offering your expertise. Just a note of reference, Essentials seems to working fine in all other areas except this one. Also just in case of a offhand chance that I had some sort of "bug" on my harddrive, I have scanned it for viruses, malware and spyware which all came up clean - even checked my firewall settings for program and port allowances.

You have already given the obvious solution. Local publish and upload with FileZilla.

If you want to trouble shoot:

Create a new blank site (one page is fine)

Make a test remote profile by following this gotFusion tutorial:

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4071

Do a remote publish.

If you do not have any problems then the Fusion software is working fine and your issue is with your site project database file.

To start troubleshooting a site project database, the first thing to do is run through the 3 step export process

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

Let us know how it goes
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thank you for your input. In my effort in trying to locate the problem, I overlooked the thought of a test site to publish. I did read both tutorials and tried to implement them as directed but I still have the same problem. That includes the test site as well. Just a note when I ran the asset verification process, it did locate 2 assets that popped up as unverified. I looked into both of them and they came up as non-exsistant. So I deleted them before trying to republish my site. Also I ran the optimazation procedure as well and came back all right. As for Fillzilla, I know that might be an option to look into but I sort of want to keep the upload process within Essentials simply for convienence since I all would have to do is when I am done or trying out my site, I only simply have to publish instead of load out to a local site and then load out Filezilla and do all the transfering and such. If you have any other suggestions are welcomed. Another thought, I have a second install of Essentials in another folder that is clean. Can I copy and paste the .nod files to the new install and will it keep the aligned assets with the .nod file together or would I have to move all of the assets individually as well. I just know that if you make the most slightest change to the asset, name or location, it loses it link and you have to go back into the site and re-establish the link. This could be an irritable situation if one has a lot of assets and pages to go through.

I wish to update the situation. I have manage to get the "test" site to go through the complete process of uploading the site with all assets were not uploaded due to errors. I do not now if this information helps but maybe it can be used to help analyze the problem I am having. It is just the first time that I have gotten the program to complete the uploading cycle since 2 days ago. I am still looking it the "error" problem so any help is welcomed. Just a note - the progress bar got up to 22% before it stopped moving. It wouldn't even register before. Also now it is trying to syncrinize some sort of database when all I have, on the test site, is a page which is in its default stage without any applied stylings which shouldn't require a database. Also when I publish it locally, there is no problem with the publishing attributes and works like it should.
    Last edited by vlscottsr; 03-15-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Hooray! I figured out the problem. There seemed to be, after further testing areas that I would have never thought of, some sort of blockage of the file contents getting to the server. The file structure was getting there but not the contents. I have reset my sever files a few times and I even downloaded another Essentials whole program to kind of start over. I even approached all of my interent settings - cookies, firewall, virus, malware and spyware scanners, scanned my servers files for viruses, even creating a seperate port file to manually assigning the port for progam. What finally "caused" the solution was I went through various publishing procedures under the "Publish" heading and when I tried the "Transfer Files To Server" option under the Publish heading, it automatically started working as normal and my files started to load out. I even checked the server to verify that it did receive the files and the contents within. Everything was back to normal and working fine. I never used this option until now because my files were already on the server and had been uploading them to the same server for over 2 years, so I did not "need" to transfer anything the way I understood things. It wasn't until I aborted an upload/update that I ran into the problem. After I had "dumped" all of my server files did I even give that option a thought. I still do not understand why an aborted upload would put the program into this status, but if I ever run into this kind of problem in the future (I hope not), I know where I am going to start. Thanks to all who has viewed and/or replied to this post for their valueable time regarding my problem. Good luck and smiles to all.

Cool .....

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    You have already given the obvious solution. Local publish and upload with FileZilla.

If you want to trouble shoot:

Create a new blank site (one page is fine)

Make a test remote profile by following this gotFusion tutorial:

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4071

Do a remote publish.

If you do not have any problems then the Fusion software is working fine and your issue is with your site project database file.

To start troubleshooting a site project database, the first thing to do is run through the 3 step export process

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

Let us know how it goes

Hi There....

Whenever I do This(red highlighted)... I lose all the Graphics... It is also stated in the documentation that this happens because all the addressing to the Graphics is wrong and one MUST upload using NOF to correct this....

How do you do this and still get the graphics to DISPLAY?

Thanks and Have a Great Day.......

Bronco Billy,
    I do not know what type of graphics that you are having a problem with but I'll explain how I handle my graphics (which is 95% either some sort of drawings but mostly pictures). Maybe it will help you. First, I'd like to state that I have never had a problem with Filezilla upoading anything. The most important part of uploading files onto a server is where they need to be placed for that particular server can access and/or process them. Most of the time it is in a directory called "/public_html/". Once you locate this directory, you can upload just about any file structure into it and you should not have any problems from there but there are exceptions. Most of my graphics, photos, etc.(if not all) are in a ".png" format as this has a tendency to hold the coloration and pixelation in most browsers not to mention I think the clarity is improved. I have over 300 pages and (conservative guess) over 2000 pictures on one of my website that I have with Essentials and all pictures, no matter what format that I receive them in, are immediately cropped, enhanced and converted to the .png format for use on the site. Also, I put all of my outside files such as scripts, graphics, etc., not created in Essentials, into an outside file and mark it with the site's name assets so that if something goes wrong with the program, at least my time consuming created files will not be tied with the problem. The only thing, which maybe part of your problem, is that if you move the assets and it's counterpart container from Essentials into folders on your server (regardless of what ftp program that you use) and the file path that you use in Essentials is not exact on the server as it was before you uploaded, then the graphics or whatever else you might link to using file paths will be disconnected from each other (item from the container). To my limited knowledge, all of the Fusion products have this sensitivity to this process. This will give the impression that the graphics have not uploaded when in fact, they are sitting in another file path and the link to the container is broken. This is why I have all of my outside "assets" in the one folder as mentioned because no matter how I upload my files, the path will always be the same for all of the assets except for the file name. I do not know if ANY of this was a help but I wish you all the best in resolving your situation. In my opinion and from what you have stated, I would start with the file structure on the server to make sure it matches EXACTLY to the file structure your assets are using in your project. If you find or decide to restructure your assets so that they are drawn from a more compacted file base (instead of all over your computer which is what Essentials does and then PULLS them out when it is uploaded from within Essentials), make sure that you go back through and check your graphics within Essential to ensure the file path links have been re-established or you will be scratching your head again wondering where it all is. Good luck.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vlscottsr View Post
    Bronco Billy,
    I do not know what type of graphics that you are having a problem with but I'll explain how I handle my graphics (which is 95% either some sort of drawings but mostly pictures). Maybe it will help you. First, I'd like to state that I have never had a problem with Filezilla upoading anything. The most important part of uploading files onto a server is where they need to be placed for that particular server can access and/or process them. Most of the time it is in a directory called "/public_html/". Once you locate this directory, you can upload just about any file structure into it and you should not have any problems from there but there are exceptions. Most of my graphics, photos, etc.(if not all) are in a ".png" format as this has a tendency to hold the coloration and pixelation in most browsers not to mention I think the clarity is improved. I have over 300 pages and (conservative guess) over 2000 pictures on one of my website that I have with Essentials and all pictures, no matter what format that I receive them in, are immediately cropped, enhanced and converted to the .png format for use on the site. Also, I put all of my outside files such as scripts, graphics, etc., not created in Essentials, into an outside file and mark it with the site's name assets so that if something goes wrong with the program, at least my time consuming created files will not be tied with the problem. The only thing, which maybe part of your problem, is that if you move the assets and it's counterpart container from Essentials into folders on your server (regardless of what ftp program that you use) and the file path that you use in Essentials is not exact on the server as it was before you uploaded, then the graphics or whatever else you might link to using file paths will be disconnected from each other (item from the container). To my limited knowledge, all of the Fusion products have this sensitivity to this process. This will give the impression that the graphics have not uploaded when in fact, they are sitting in another file path and the link to the container is broken. This is why I have all of my outside "assets" in the one folder as mentioned because no matter how I upload my files, the path will always be the same for all of the assets except for the file name. I do not know if ANY of this was a help but I wish you all the best in resolving your situation. In my opinion and from what you have stated, I would start with the file structure on the server to make sure it matches EXACTLY to the file structure your assets are using in your project. If you find or decide to restructure your assets so that they are drawn from a more compacted file base (instead of all over your computer which is what Essentials does and then PULLS them out when it is uploaded from within Essentials), make sure that you go back through and check your graphics within Essential to ensure the file path links have been re-established or you will be scratching your head again wondering where it all is. Good luck.
    Hi There...

Thanks for the reply.... But I do Not want to do what you suggest.... Sorry but it sounds KLUDGY to me... and can lead to future TROUBLE....If I Publish using NOF..... Everything works as advertised... That is Graphics and All.... If I publish from a local website to a Remote using Filezilla I lose the graphics...

Quote from the documentation....

"The Publishing Process
    The NetObjects Fusion publishing process involves two basic steps: generating
    HTML files and then transferring the generated HTML files to the Web server.
    ✦ When you select Publish Site, NetObjects Fusion converts your site into HTML
    pages and associated assets using the SiteStructure, page design, content, links,
    and assets information in the Sitename.nod file. These generated HTML files are
    used by browsers to display your Web site. You specify where the generated
    HTML files are saved. A typical scenario is to publish the HTML files locally
    onto your computer’s hard disk where you can then open, run, and test the site
    in your browser without connecting to the Internet. When the site is exactly
    right, you’re ready to publish it to a Web server.
    ✦ Selecting Transfer Files to Server from the Publish menu copies the locally
    published HTML files to the server you use for Web access. To speed the
    transfer process, NetObjects Fusion uses its own built-in FTP program.

Caution: You must use NetObjects Fusion to transfer your site’s HTML and asset files from one
    location to another. You cannot move generated HTML files from one location to
    another, nor can you rename the files in Windows Explorer. Renaming the files or
    moving them to a new location breaks links because the file locations are different
    than those specified in the generated HTML files."

I just thought Gotfusion Beat This Limitation without a Kludge....

Thanks and Have a great Day.....