Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nof stops working in windows 8

Default Nof stops working in windows 8

Let me begin by saying I love NOF XII. I used Netobjects for many years before going into the Apple camp a few years ago. But last fall I returned to Windows, bought a new Windows 7 machine and converted to 8, and have had very good luck with 8. I looked at many packages and Netobjects was by far the best, and I ran Essentials successfully for a few months.

With NOF XII when I do certain things (I have not mapped out the full pattern yet) the "Netobjects Has Stopped Working" error window pops up and I have to close the program. It usually happens when I am in Page view and click on Assets, Site, or Style. It also usually happens when I close the program. It also happens when I attempt to close a site in page view. In spite of this, I have never lost any of my work and I have learned what to avoid doing to keep the program running.

I've tried fresh install, running in various compatibility modes, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. I opened a ticket with support and to their credit they responded the next business day, but they seemed to think my sites were getting corrupted and provided instructions how to fix that - I will need to follow up with more information.

I thought I would share this with the forum to see if there are any thoughts.

John

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JKZimm View Post
    Let me begin by saying I love NOF XII. I used Netobjects for many years before going into the Apple camp a few years ago. But last fall I returned to Windows, bought a new Windows 7 machine and converted to 8, and have had very good luck with 8. I looked at many packages and Netobjects was by far the best, and I ran Essentials successfully for a few months.

With NOF XII when I do certain things (I have not mapped out the full pattern yet) the "Netobjects Has Stopped Working" error window pops up and I have to close the program. It usually happens when I am in Page view and click on Assets, Site, or Style. It also usually happens when I close the program. It also happens when I attempt to close a site in page view. In spite of this, I have never lost any of my work and I have learned what to avoid doing to keep the program running.

I've tried fresh install, running in various compatibility modes, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. I opened a ticket with support and to their credit they responded the next business day, but they seemed to think my sites were getting corrupted and provided instructions how to fix that - I will need to follow up with more information.

I thought I would share this with the forum to see if there are any thoughts.

John
    Hi There...

I Have been running NOF12 on a new Strong Asus home built win8 64 bit machine pretty heavily with different test nods for a couple of weeks now...... I Have NOT broken NOF12 yet....... Which to me is Amazing..... I am doing many test Nods to learn NOF12 before I go into Development.... Again I Haven't broken NOF12 Yet..... Seems to be Stable as Hell..... I'd guess that you have a bad nod.... Maybe you could generate a NEW test nod and try to break the System....If you can't then your original nod v nods are Bad.......

Have a Great Day.....

Thanks for the suggestion Bronco - and good to know NOF is working good on your machine. I don't think my problems are due to a bad NOD file. I can create a blank site, and as soon as I click on the Site Style icon or Assets the program stops working. In uninstalling the program, I get a list of .dll files the program can't find, and I think this is what is causing my issues. I have sent the list to support, and hope it is nothing more than just a bad download of the install file.

Cool

Thanks for the suggestion Bronco - and good to know NOF is working good on your machine. I don't think my problems are due to a bad NOD file. I can create a blank site, and as soon as I click on the Site Style icon or Assets the program stops working. In uninstalling the program, I get a list of .dll files the program can't find, and I think this is what is causing my issues. I have sent the list to support, and hope it is nothing more than just a bad download of the install file.
    Hi There....

Ok let's go Farther..... I have installed, deleted NOF(for Educational purposes) several times just to try and see where they located everything.... I'll be dammed if I am going to use as a Tool without knowing everything about it....... If I get in trouble later because of this knowledge I should be able to Fix in a hurry etc... Read the posts a lot of the OPs are AFRAID to do anything because they don't know what's under their sites etc......

I have several theories about your problem.... So as long as you keep posting I'll try to help You....... First Theory.... it sounds like you have a bad install.... use win8 to remove your ENTIRE NOF installation..... RIGHT click on the NOF install exe and choose "run as Administrator"....Then try to break this Install...

If this doesn't work I have another Theory......

Good Luck and have a Great Day.....
    Last edited by Bronco Billy; 03-26-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Thank you for your suggestion - unfortunately I have done than - 3 separate times now. Uninstall, including removal of directory, re-install as administrator. I am open to trying anything, so keep your theories coming!

My own theory is there is something about my machine that is preventing the install from writing all of the needed files. But why NOF XII? Essentials runs rock solid, and every other application I run has never had a problem.

Cool

Thank you for your suggestion - unfortunately I have done than - 3 separate times now. Uninstall, including removal of directory, re-install as administrator. I am open to trying anything, so keep your theories coming!

My own theory is there is something about my machine that is preventing the install from writing all of the needed files. But why NOF XII? Essentials runs rock solid, and every other application I run has never had a problem.

Have you applied this NOF Update ? Also do you get a message from win8 saying "a script is running and slowing things down....asking you if you want to stop script..." ???

Problem solved (sort of). I have a 3 year old iMac that runs a Windows 7 emulator called Parallels Desktop. I installed NOF XII into the emulator and it works perfectly! My next task is to compare the files installed on the iMac with those on my Windows 8 machine. I'll bet I'll see some missing .dll's that are causing the erratic behavior.

Problem solved (sort of). I have a 3 year old iMac that runs a Windows 7 emulator called Parallels Desktop. I installed NOF XII into the emulator and it works perfectly! My next task is to compare the files installed on the iMac with those on my Windows 8 machine. I'll bet I'll see some missing .dll's that are causing the erratic behavior.

It works on the mac because essentials is not installed on it.......Did you ever hear of "The False Cause Fallacy".... The Planet Reeks of it..... NOF12 is derived from essentials.... I'm bettin NOF12 and essentials have common dlls etc and when you install 12 over essentials common things are NOT registered for NOF12... My NOF12 install on a win8 machine is Virgin.... ie NO Essentials.... just NOF12..... You MUST use win8 and uninstall BOTH Essentials and NOF12 ...... Then Cold Boot(power off power on) and reinstall ONLY NOF12....... Luck to Both of Us......

Just FYI Essentials is a very old program; it's the old NetObjects Fusion 7. When you install a later version (eg, 12) it will install into a different directory but there may well be windows files with the same name albeit years apart in development. If you don't overwrite those files then NoF12 may be trying to use those old files which were developed back in 2003-ish (I doubt they've been updated from the old v7) and thus you must expect trouble occasionally when 12 tries to access them. OTOH, if you do overwrite them when installing 12, you can probably expect to break Essentials for the same reasons.

Frankly, I'd lose Essentials and then do a complete clean install of v12, overwriting any common windows files.

Just my thoughts. I run v8, 10, 11 and 12 alongside one another without any major issues (although I have long gotten into the habit of saving a site I'm working on every time I do something major to it. I just hit Save every so often (like when updating large tables) so I don't lose a lot of work when and if it crashes.

Well, "close but no cigar"

I tried a full uninstall of NOFXII and Essentials. Erased their folders. Did the cold restart. Installed NOFXII. Absolutely no change. The .dll's I thought were missing are in fact installed, so the problem has to be they failed to register - but not sure what that means. NOF tech support has a list of the .dll's that did not register, so maybe they can come up with something. For now, I may have to set up my iMac alongside my Windows machine when i need to do some NOF work.