Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can we see a list of fixes from NOF 12 that made it into NOF 2013

Well - color me foolish. I admit to loving technology, so just upgraded to 2013 because I love new stuff and want to support NOF. The purchase process presented no problems. But 2013 looks and acts just like XII does on my computer, including the $@#$% crashes! Did all the compatibility options, same result as with XII. It is probably my computer, but why is NOF the ONLY program that misbehaves!

I am just ventilating here. I'm sure most will have a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JKZimm View Post
    Well - color me foolish. I admit to loving technology, so just upgraded to 2013 because I love new stuff and want to support NOF. The purchase process presented no problems. But 2013 looks and acts just like XII does on my computer, including the $@#$% crashes! Did all the compatibility options, same result as with XII. It is probably my computer, but why is NOF the ONLY program that misbehaves!

I am just ventilating here. I'm sure most will have a good experience.
    Well that's halted any thoughts I had of making a NOF2013 purchase tonight. Did you even get to see if the templates were new or not?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jinker View Post
    Well that's halted any thoughts I had of making a NOF2013 purchase tonight. Did you even get to see if the templates were new or not?

Jim
    I have not seen any of the templates that shipped with the 2013 product before they showed up in this release
    Last edited by gotFusion; 04-30-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I took a cursory look, but on the surface it looks like the same package. The interface is identical, with minor changes in the graphics symbols on the menu. New templates have been added to the local site styles, and the local site styles in XII have become Legacy Styles. But they all appear to be very similar to the ones that have been around for years. The new carousel feature is kind of cool and easy to use. But overall, unless I take a very close look, it really is just like XII - which on a positive note, means there is no learning curve. Of course the show stopper for me is all too often the program crashes when I am editing a page, then click on the Site, Styles or Assets icons. I have never lost any work - the program is always able to recover the unstable file.

Again, I think my situation may be unique - I spent 3 weeks with tech support with the same problems in XII. We tried so many different things - different versions of Java, running with different compatibility settings, etc. The real slap in the face was XII ran perfectly on an iMac computer running a windows 7 emulator!

Philosophically, if one has the time and the money, I believe in adopting a new program and helping the developer work out the bugs. NOF 2013 will not be my primary web development product due to its instability, but I will dabble with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jinker View Post
    Hi. Like a lot of NOF users I also moved away to another product
    ---snip---
    For what it's worth; I'm interested in NOF2013 if it's stable, handles forms well.

Jinker
    That's ditto for me. I love making forms with WWB8 but I do miss the instantaneousness of NOF's masterborders. Can't spare the time to help out with Update#1 but will be looking in.

Here is the feature list and fixes/improvements in this release

NEW FEATURES
    HTML5 publish format
    HTML5 form <input> fields
    - shim libraries used for browsers that do not support HTML5 fields (e.g. date, color)
    - when opening older sites, input type guessed based on validator used
    WebFonts (TTF, OTF, EOT, SVG)
    Carousel
    New templates
    New site styles (Legacy site styles still provided)
    Rewritten Online View
    UI refresh - icons
    UI refresh - new themes (Windows 7, Office 2010)
    Localized for Czech, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional)
    Windows 8 desktop compatible

FIXES/IMPROVEMENTS
    Center in browser fixed for XHTML publish format.
    New PatternMatch validator for form field rule defined as Javascript regular expression.
    Automatically create and link label for added form field.
    Double-click form field from property inspector to access Validate Form dialog.
    Embedded IE throttled to same compatibility level as system web browser (v12 was IE7 mode).
    Only WebFonts displayed for text-based objects.
    Allow entry of font-weights in CSS property panel other than normal and bold.
    Upgraded SFTP library; defaults corrected.
    Removed Java Runtime from install.
    Enhanced stability (fixed memory leaks and StyleView crashes).
    Corrected identification of IE browser in Preview menu.
    Create new CSS file from Style View tree.
    Quirks mode turned off for new sites.
    Upgraded Fusion and third party libraries to Visual Studio 2010.

CSS parser:
    Support for @font-face format() .
    Support for RGBA(); color selector has new opacity field; Design View will reflect for layout region and text background colors.
    Recognizes more CSS selectors (PRECEDES ~, PREFIXMATCH ^=, SUFFIXMATCH $=, CONTAINS *=); note that Design View does not reflect but Preview/Publish will.
    Browser extension properties will be retained in CSS code window.
    Support for background-size.

NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Default Major release/version?

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Here is the feature list and fixes/improvements in this release

NEW FEATURES
    HTML5 publish format
    HTML5 form <input> fields
    - shim libraries used for browsers that do not support HTML5 fields (e.g. date, color)
    - when opening older sites, input type guessed based on validator used
    WebFonts (TTF, OTF, EOT, SVG)
    Carousel
    New templates
    New site styles (Legacy site styles still provided)
    Rewritten Online View
    UI refresh - icons
    UI refresh - new themes (Windows 7, Office 2010)
    Localized for Czech, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional)
    Windows 8 desktop compatible

FIXES/IMPROVEMENTS
    Center in browser fixed for XHTML publish format.
    New PatternMatch validator for form field rule defined as Javascript regular expression.
    Automatically create and link label for added form field.
    Double-click form field from property inspector to access Validate Form dialog.
    Embedded IE throttled to same compatibility level as system web browser (v12 was IE7 mode).
    Only WebFonts displayed for text-based objects.
    Allow entry of font-weights in CSS property panel other than normal and bold.
    Upgraded SFTP library; defaults corrected.
    Removed Java Runtime from install.
    Enhanced stability (fixed memory leaks and StyleView crashes).
    Corrected identification of IE browser in Preview menu.
    Create new CSS file from Style View tree.
    Quirks mode turned off for new sites.
    Upgraded Fusion and third party libraries to Visual Studio 2010.

CSS parser:
    Support for @font-face format() .
    Support for RGBA(); color selector has new opacity field; Design View will reflect for layout region and text background colors.
    Recognizes more CSS selectors (PRECEDES ~, PREFIXMATCH ^=, SUFFIXMATCH $=, CONTAINS *=); note that Design View does not reflect but Preview/Publish will.
    Browser extension properties will be retained in CSS code window.
    Support for background-size.

I've been developing and testing software for over 14 years for start-ups and blue chip companies; what you've listed above is a dot release, not a major version. It also shows that minimal attention went into fixing the dozens of reported crashing issues and the hundreds of reported defects. It's always one step forward, two steps back development with this company. What I've also seen with the huge push to upgrade to 12 for $39.99 and now with this...this is a large indication that they are struggling with the development and sales of this product so they are doing whatever to generate additional revenue even if it's selling someone an up grade to 12 on a Monday and expecting them to pay for a service pack to 12 on a Tuesday. People are correct to leave this development platform, which I've been using for 5 years, because I foresee this trend of minimal forward progress for a fee to be the norm. Just my opinion.

So do you have a particular problem we can help you with?
    Last edited by franko; 05-23-2013 at 06:40 AM.