Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web Fonts

Question Web Fonts

First an aside: I figured out what the heck was happening on the "Online View" when you first open the program. When you click on a box, say, "SiteStyles" or "Food/Faces/Buildings" or "Web fonts", the page you go to has stuff available to download and incorporate into NOF. When you click on a font or an image or a sitestyle, you get a green checkmark thingy to let you know it's downloaded.

So maybe I'm getting old, but I had no clue what was going on. I had stuff with a green check mark that I had "activated", and I wondered how to uncheck it to "de-activate" it.

Anyhoo... on to web fonts. So presumably when I'm editing a page, highlight some text and go to the Font drop-down list in the Text Properties Panel, I am seeing available web fonts.

So how do I know if I am selecting a web font?
    What if I don't want to use web fonts, and just want to use browser fonts to keep my site streamlined?
    How do I add more web fonts to NOF from Google?
    Can I add web fonts from Fonts.com?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Anyhoo... on to web fonts. So presumably when I'm editing a page, highlight some text and go to the Font drop-down list in the Text Properties Panel, I am seeing available web fonts.
    Then you are more clever than me....
    If I chose web font "Fondamento" in Online View, get a green OK, I cannot find this font in my drop-down list in the Text Properties Panel.....
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Quote Originally Posted by mia View Post
    Then you are more clever than me....
    If I chose web font "Fondamento" in Online View, get a green OK, I cannot find this font in my drop-down list in the Text Properties Panel.....
    It doesn't show up until you close and re-launch NOF. At least it didn't for me.

Presumably, the others in the list, like "Droid Serif" and "Unkempt", are also web fonts.

"Unkempt". Great font name for web designers!
    Last edited by RayC; 05-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Fusion 2013 ships with ~20 webfonts, and additional ones will be made available in the Online View. To put them to use you can just pick them from the font drop down on Text objects like any local font. Fonts installed from the OnlineView go into the C:\Users\Public\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2013\WebFonts folder, you can also add your own WebFonts to this folder from various online font repositories such as Google Fonts. Simply build your collection download it and place the font files in Fusion's WebFonts folder. We'll have a more in depth tutorial soon. One thing to consider is different browsers support different webfont formats at minium you should add TTF and EOT fonts. After fonts are installed via the OnlineView or by manually copying them into the WebFonts folder, Fusion needs to be restarted.

You also make an excellent suggestion, there should be a separation on the font drop down between webfonts and common local fonts. This request has been added to the roadmap.
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

Thanks, Mike

I would definitely want to know when I'm using a web font as this can certainly affect page load times.

I also wonder if the "optimization" option is (or will be) available where only the actual characters being used are downloaded?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Frankly I intend to stick with web safe fonts for some time to come. Arial and helvetica are still the clearest fonts for screen legibility and, since I firmly believe that people primarily use the web for information, the easier it is for them to find and read that information the better. Besides, what's the point of trying to get your site to download quickly on smartphones and tablets if you're going to force the user to download fonts that aren't on their system? We've got to get out of this 'PC first' mentality and get into the '320 and up' mentality if we want fast, functional web sites that work on all the devices that access the web today.

I agree with you Franko and I don't plan to cutsie-up all my sites with crazy fonts.... but.... one really good use for web fonts is for decorative headings and sub-headings that would otherwise be created in graphics software, which of course makes them invisible to Google. Not so with web fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by LBA View Post
    I agree with you Franko and I don't plan to cutsie-up all my sites with crazy fonts.... but.... one really good use for web fonts is for decorative headings and sub-headings that would otherwise be created in graphics software, which of course makes them invisible to Google. Not so with web fonts.
    Exactly. If I were to use them, it would likely be for a pseudo-logo with the company name in the closest web font to the logo font.

Hence the question about the "optimization" option. If I only need 9 characters to spell "Sounds In Sync", I don't want to push 52 down the pipe.

And wouldn't it be a hoot when we all discover that Verdana, Arial and Times Roman were all being specified as web fonts by NOF?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Just be a little careful doing that. I don't know about your jurisdiction, but here, and I know in many European jurisdictions also, you cannot change a registered logo in any way otherwise you can lose your rights to it. I nearly got caught out by that many years ago when we added cat's whiskers to the Monier logo and published it. The ad was withdrawn very, very quickly.

Yes, web fonts cause a performance hit, but for that matter, so do the graphics that the web fonts would replace. Here's what Google says about this:

"What about performance? Will web fonts slow down my page?

If a page uses web fonts, then the font files have to be downloaded to the site visitor's computer before they can be displayed initially. The font files are served compressed for a faster download. After that initial download, they will be cached in the browser. As the Google Fonts API becomes widely used, your visitors will be likely to already have the font you're using in their browser cache when they visit your page.

In general, however, you should keep an eye on the size of the font files you are serving. Also be aware that using web fonts may result in the browser making more HTTP requests than would otherwise be necessary.

Compared to using images to display a lot of text on a page, web fonts are likely to enhance the performance (and maintainability, and accessibility) of your page. In other situations, however, they might add to the overall weight of your page."