Thread: Floating sidebar

Default Floating sidebar

Hi Everyone,
    Total newbie here & first posting, so be gentle with me.
    Everything is still very much under construction at the moment so I have no published pages to provide links to.

I've got my Master Border in place, no problem. But my pages have a column of images (with links under them) running down the right hand side of the page. As it stands they are just pictorial links, but some pf my pages contain a lot of text & other images so with some scrolling the links disappear to leave a large blank space at the side of the page. Is it possible to have the links 'floating' so whe nthe page is scrolled, they stay where they are?

Thanks All

I believe there's a Likno plug-in that does this. Also you might want to try www.dynamicdrive.com; I'm sure you'll find a script there.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Adam79 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Total newbie here & first posting, so be gentle with me.
    Everything is still very much under construction at the moment so I have no published pages to provide links to.

I've got my Master Border in place, no problem. But my pages have a column of images (with links under them) running down the right hand side of the page. As it stands they are just pictorial links, but some pf my pages contain a lot of text & other images so with some scrolling the links disappear to leave a large blank space at the side of the page. Is it possible to have the links 'floating' so whe nthe page is scrolled, they stay where they are?

Thanks All

If You are Willing to Handle the Social Pressure and the Stigma Cast Upon You...... You Could Use FRAMES......................

This can be done with AllWebMenus from Likno Software.

www.likno.com?a_aid=bb20a47e

Works very well and is compatible with Fusion 2013 and earlier versions.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Frames are good for me. My glasses have frames & they work perfectly
    My next question, how do I do frames? It's probably fairly straightforward, but if I ask now, by the time I get stuck there might be an answer already waiting for me.

Thanks all

PS. Can I do something with the frame so it's repeated on every page of my site without having to cut, paste & realign etc?
    Last edited by Adam79; 05-08-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Adam79 View Post
    Frames are good for me. My glasses have frames & they work perfectly
    My next question, how do I do frames? It's probably fairly straightforward, but if I ask now, by the time I get stuck there might be an answer already waiting for me.

Thanks all

PS. Can I do something with the frame so it's repeated on every page of my site without having to cut, paste & realign etc? Yes Implement Them.....

Don't Tell Anybody I Gave You This Link..... .............. CLICK HERE

Frames have been removed from the html 5 spec so it's probably not wise to go down that route unless you're only doing a short term site. 2013 will not generate framesets (in html 5 output) so you'll be locked into a backward version for ever.

If I were you, I'd go with the AllWebMenus alternative, or if you Google you'll find dozens of javascripts that do what you want.

There are many, many reasons NOT to go with frames apart from the fact that they've been dropped from the html spec but I won't go into them here. At the end of the day, it's your choice and if you go ahead and use them without thoroughly researching them so you have an understanding of when they could be useful, what problems they were originally introduced (in 1997 when the html specs had far less capability than now) to solve, then it's your decision.

Hi Franko,
    Thanks for your concise & comprehensive answer. If frames are on the way out, it might be wise to skip their use now otherwise I’ll be causing myself more headaches later.

Poking around in the user manual reveals I can add a right-hand Master Border & that seems to do what I want (isolating that part of the page from scrolling actions) for the time being.

I’ll keep the AllWeb option in mind for the future as their side arrow looks very slick. For now I’m very much learn-as-you-go with NOF & site design.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I’ll be sure to consult the manual first before posting any more questions..!