Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Able to work off line?

Thumbs up Able to work off line?

Do you have to be online for NO 2013 to open and or work properly? Did some searches and checked the user and quick start guides and did not see anything. When someone has time and no hurry.

I have been doing a lot web design software research the past two years and come here on a regular basis. Nice to see the new release, increased energy and the admininstrators "weighing in" as needed. I'm a casual user at best and was using FrontPage (Titanic at the bottom) and looking for another program. Also waiting for a couple of new releases with NOF being one of them. My day job is a CAD Designer working with softwares that start at 4-5k, so the price of NO 2013 is very reasonable considering what it does and can handle large sites. Hopefully any major bugs will be worked out in the near future. There is only one other program that generates HTML5/CSS3 code that I've found besides NO 2013 at this time. Although some of the posts show that not everyone is happy, it is a huge step in the right direction. Go NOF Team!

One opinion from outside the circle.
    Kind Regards
    Donald

Hi Donald,

Nice to meet you.
    I was thinking about what you said about being online or not... I'm never *off* line. Although I don't know why one would have to be?

On my way to bed - sorry if not making sense.

~Kitty
    The biz http://ink2art.com
    Giving it away since 1995... http://fullmoongraphics.com

I have frequently worked offline, the last time being a couple of years ago. Haven't tried with 2013 but can't see why it would be any different. Of course, you can't upload to your server until you're back online.

Default Offline use of NOF2013

Hi Donald.

Thank you for your kind words. Working offline is a key benefit of NetObjects Fusion. Although the "Online View" is essentially a feed to deliver new content, NOF will detect the absence of an internet connection and display the content cached from an earlier online session.

You will not be able to download new content by clicking the SiteStyle, Template, Stock Photography or Web Font tiles without an active internet connection.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gl33 View Post
    Do you have to be online for NO 2013 to open and or work properly? Did some searches and checked the user and quick start guides and did not see anything. When someone has time and no hurry.

I have been doing a lot web design software research the past two years and come here on a regular basis. Nice to see the new release, increased energy and the admininstrators "weighing in" as needed. I'm a casual user at best and was using FrontPage (Titanic at the bottom) and looking for another program. Also waiting for a couple of new releases with NOF being one of them. My day job is a CAD Designer working with softwares that start at 4-5k, so the price of NO 2013 is very reasonable considering what it does and can handle large sites. Hopefully any major bugs will be worked out in the near future. There is only one other program that generates HTML5/CSS3 code that I've found besides NO 2013 at this time. Although some of the posts show that not everyone is happy, it is a huge step in the right direction. Go NOF Team!

One opinion from outside the circle.

Hi There

I Have Dial Up and Use NOF12 / Xampp Offline All The Time...... I Suggest you Download Xampp which is a FREE open Source Windows Web Server.... You can then Publish to Xampp and Your Output will Look Exactly as if You Published to an Online Server..... Also download FREE Essentials and become Familiar with the NOF Experience..... Which is a Terrific Experience.... Essentials will then Allow You To Purchase NOF13 at the Upgrade Price(1/2 of Original)....

Have a Great Day....

Billy's advice is good. I use MAMP for the same reason, and of course you have the advantage that server-side scripts will run allowing you all the advantages of being online without being online.

Thanks a lot everyone for your quick answers, comments and help.

(Kitty) I'll explain why I asked the offline question asap. It may have to wait until the weekend.
    Kind Regards
    Donald

Default RE: Able to work off line?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Hi Donald,

Nice to meet you.
    I was thinking about what you said about being online or not... I'm never *off* line. Although I don't know why one would have to be?

On my way to bed - sorry if not making sense.

~Kitty
    Thanks for the welcome Kitty.
    Here's why I asked.

I wanted to see what was coming from the server side vs. the client side as it’s called. What is on your host’s server or is everything contained on your computer within your webpage (client side), hence the other posts and comments. I know server side apps are very popular and growing rapidly with all the cloud based “stuff” being forced on us. (After all it’s the future, right?) I would prefer at this time just to have most things loaded on the client side with the webpage if possible.

Also
    In doing web design software research I found something of possible interest with some programs. That some of the premium widgets and images are always owned(copyright) by the company and stored on their servers. Meaning you have to be on line and their servers up to work on your site properly. Which of course is almost always, no problem? These add-ins are pulled from their server when your webpage is opened by you or anyone else. Then annual maintenance fees may be required to keep using them on a on-going basis. Surprise!

Another program will let you place a 3rd party macro in your page and when you go live it’s blocked out with fee required. Not a bad thing, just be nice to know up front. (Like everything else friends, read the fine print at the bottom or on the back page before going very far.)

Another plus for NOF?

Kind Regards
    Donald

Cool

Thanks for the welcome Kitty.
    Here's why I asked.

I wanted to see what was coming from the server side vs. the client side as it’s called. What is on your host’s server or is everything contained on your computer within your webpage (client side), hence the other posts and comments. I know server side apps are very popular and growing rapidly with all the cloud based “stuff” being forced on us. (After all it’s the future, right?) I would prefer at this time just to have most things loaded on the client side with the webpage if possible.

Also
    In doing web design software research I found something of possible interest with some programs. That some of the premium widgets and images are always owned(copyright) by the company and stored on their servers. Meaning you have to be on line and their servers up to work on your site properly. Which of course is almost always, no problem? These add-ins are pulled from their server when your webpage is opened by you or anyone else. Then annual maintenance fees may be required to keep using them on a on-going basis. Surprise!

Another program will let you place a 3rd party macro in your page and when you go live it’s blocked out with fee required. Not a bad thing, just be nice to know up front. (Like everything else friends, read the fine print at the bottom or on the back page before going very far.)

Another plus for NOF? This is a MAJOR PLUS for NOF..... No Way in Hell Would I Use a Tool that Had one By the B*lls and Could Tug whenever They Wanted to...
    Kind Regards Donald
    Last edited by Bronco Billy; 05-12-2013 at 01:22 AM.

There is nothing within NOF that would be hosted on another server. Certainly there are third-party scripts and such that you can incorporate into your NOF site that would be remotely hosted. When looking at these things, you need to understand what you are getting into.

Some script types (EG. PHP) will not run locally on your machine and require a web server to function. So if you do a Local Publish with the NOF News Component, for example, this will not run, and all you will see is a placeholder on the page.

I've done a few "website on a CD" things, and have used javascript and jQuery scripts -- I just need to ensure I include the necessary files just as you would when uploading a site to a web server.

HTH
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in