Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: No update to index.HTML

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    4

    Default No update to index.HTML

    I have a couple of sites I maintain with NOF

    on one of them the "index.html" file is not being updated when I publish and consequently some changes I want to make to the home page are not being reflected

    anyone got any ideas.... I was getting a couple of odd errors (missing assets and then a php error) initially but they have been eliminated so now running without errors of any kind

  2. #2
    Senior Member gotFusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    www.gotHosting.biz
    Posts
    4,529

    Default

    Are you talking about the local pages or the remote pages (on your computer or on your domain)?

    Are you force refreshing your browser after generating (hold the control key and pressing the F5 function key) to load the new content?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    4

    Default confirming

    thankyou for responding

    I have checked though FTP link the status of the hosting server which is where the index.html shows date of about a year ago instead of yesterday / today so I know it has not updated... I thought it might be because of notified errors but I have completed without error and still old index.html.....

    I have also updated second site and thnkfully it is without problem

    and yes have refreshed browser, even closed and reopened to see if that changed but when datestamp is not current it is clearly not being updated ot the server while everything else is updated to current
    like index.php is up to date and a coule of other index.XXX files are current... just index.html which is not current

  4. #4
    Senior Member RayC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto-ish, Canada
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Is the page in question index.PHP or index.HTML? Normally you would have only one or the other. If, at some point you changed your extension in NOF from .HTML to .PHP (say because you added a script that required the page to be PHP), your old HTML file may still be lingering on your server but no longer updated.

    If you go to Publish View, do you have this index.html file listed in your site structure?

    Can you post a URL?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    4

    Default index.html

    Hi RayC, thankyou for your feedback

    I have 3 "index" files on the domain server, all in the same "public_html" subdirectory -

    index.html dated 24/04/2012
    index.php dated 19/05/2013
    index_nof.js dated 19/05/2013

    the home page looks like the 24/04/2012 html version, wihtout some current changes which I made adding a form handler to the home page (which possibly switched the appropriate file format to PHP)

    from your comment I think you are suggesting the confusion is because index.html is taking precidence over index.php

    what I have just tried is... renamed index.html (to xindex.html) and refreshed the browser - which has worked and presents the updated version of my home page with the form handler input fields and other changes

    success - thankyou for your input
    dEREK m

  6. #6
    Senior Member gotFusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    www.gotHosting.biz
    Posts
    4,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dEREKm View Post
    from your comment I think you are suggesting the confusion is because index.html is taking precidence over index.php

    what I have just tried is... renamed index.html (to xindex.html) and refreshed the browser - which has worked and presents the updated version of my home page with the form handler input fields and other changes

    success - thankyou for your input
    dEREK m

    Load precedence is set in your hosting control panel. You can make it anything you want. typically you want html and htm extensions lower than other options.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

  7. #7
    Senior Member RayC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto-ish, Canada
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dEREKm View Post
    Hi RayC, thankyou for your feedback

    I have 3 "index" files on the domain server, all in the same "public_html" subdirectory -

    index.html dated 24/04/2012
    index.php dated 19/05/2013
    index_nof.js dated 19/05/2013

    the home page looks like the 24/04/2012 html version, wihtout some current changes which I made adding a form handler to the home page (which possibly switched the appropriate file format to PHP)

    from your comment I think you are suggesting the confusion is because index.html is taking precidence over index.php

    what I have just tried is... renamed index.html (to xindex.html) and refreshed the browser - which has worked and presents the updated version of my home page with the form handler input fields and other changes

    success - thankyou for your input
    dEREK m
    As I suspected, when you added the form handler the extension was changed to PHP. In general, NOF never deletes files on your server; it will just replace whatever has the same file name if it is uploading a file.

    So you've been updating the .PHP file, and the .HTML file is leftover flotsam. So delete the .HTML file off your server and all should be good. If you haven't republished some other pages, there may still be links to the .HTML file. You should do a complete re-publish of everything. Then double-check any links to the home page.

    Interesting side note: the index_nof.js file is new in NOF12. Originally it was named just "index.js". A site I was working on suddenly wouldn't load. On my host, "index.js" was taking precedent over "index.php". When I finally tracked down why my site was not loading properly, the NO guys were very accommodating in updating NOF to change the name of this file to "index_nof.js". While theoretically you are able to change the precedence (as Mike points out), my host did not allow this, so I was pretty much stuck.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

  8. #8
    Senior Member franko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    What I would do - deleted all files from the public_html directory (unless, of course, you have virtual IP sites contained under the main site in which case don't delete them, just the files for the web site in question). Do a clean local publish, making sure 'publish changed assets only' is NOT ticked. Upload the local publish files to the server with an ftp program. Check the site to see if it's working. This is the quickest and easiest way of sorting out redundant files issues in a site.

  9. #9
    Twayne
    Guest

    Default Re: No update to index.HTML

    On 5/18/2013 11:58 PM, dEREKm wrote:
    > I have a couple of sites I maintain with NOF
    >
    > on one of them the "index.html" file is not being updated when I
    > publish and consequently some changes I want to make to the home page
    > are not being reflected
    >
    > anyone got any ideas.... I was getting a couple of odd errors (missing
    > assets and then a php error) initially but they have been eliminated so
    > now running without errors of any kind
    >
    >

    That seems to happen occasionally. When it does, I use the free
    FileZilla ftp program to go to my site and actually delete the file
    from my site and then upload the revised file.
    If it reappears on the site after you publish it now, whether it's
    the right or old version of index.html, you know you're actually sending
    the file at least.

    It's not usually a NOF or your server's fault: More likely you need to
    clean up temporary files (delete them) and clear your browser cache in
    the process. It's nearly always something about your own system that
    needs flushing or cleaning out, like disc clutter, temp files, etc..

    Oh, try a local publish too, and see if the changes show up there.

    Twayne`

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •