Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Responsive Themes?

  1. #21

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    From your conversation, most of you sound like you know a piece of code or two. I use NOF because I do not like programming/code stuff because I don't know how and don't care to. Of course I have knowledge enough to do some things if I must, but I prefer not to.

    My post is probably going to go in million different directions... regarding responsive design & WordPress & NOF. I love the creative things I can do in NOF. Fortunately I cater to creative clients so it can be a lot of fun. The changes that have been taking place over the last ___ years are bothersome to me because I can't seem to catch up if my good ol' NetObjects doesn't change along with everything else. Mainly with responsive design.

    I would be lost without WordPress because then I would have no options (except Blogger) for my clients to update their sites. I love it. I designed a site with a responsive theme and it was so cool to see it on my iPhone and watch it collapse and expand as it should. Yes, it's the little things that thrill me.
    One thing with WP is that I use the same premium theme to customize sites (Thesis), so like anything else, I can do more things with it because I'm used to it.

    ANYway, I've been distracted while writing this and totally ran out of steam. hahaha, probably shouldn't even post it now.
    Do You Feel Better Now? After You Came Out of the Closet...........

  2. #22
    Senior Member franko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    I have no issues with wordpress; I use it for my blog (blog.food-photography.com.au) and I do like how easy it is to customise. What I don't like is how all wordpress sites look the same. Now that may not bother some people and, frankly, if it doesn't bother my clients and they don't want to pay for custom design (eg many of my pro-bono sites) then I'll happily use wordpress (although I do prefer Joomla; maybe it's just because there are less Joomla sites out there than wordpress and so you're less likely to open a site and sigh, 'Oh, another wordpress site.'

    I've created (although many are not now running as the businesses have either gone bust or their owners have been sold a pup by unscrupulous wordpress developers ) more than 60 sites in NoF over the years, as well as using it as a front end for much larger sites (eg IBM PC Co. site before the division was sold to Lenovo) and many campaign micro sites. For me, it's still my design tool of choice and will remain so as soon as they introduce RWD capability at least in some form).

  3. #23
    Senior Member Beach Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    378

    Default

    As I figure it "What you see is what you get" a contradiction in terms to "responsive themes". NOF would have to be one or the other.

  4. #24
    Senior Member franko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    BA, if that were the case then you can write off NoF right now but being pedantic, your definition is accurate. Maybe we need a WYSIWYGIAVOS code generator (What you see is what you get in a variety of situations). Regardless of pedantry, RWD is the future of web design and if easy to use code generation programs can't meet that need, so much the better for the professional coders. The market will go back to being like it was in the early to mid '90s; pro's who can code will be able to demand reasonable rates once again without being undercut by newbies who don't or ppl who can't be bothered to learn. So be it.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Kitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Harley Town USA
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trimdoner View Post
    ...just always looking for some miracle way to build websites.
    Thanks Ken.
    A former NOF user has gone to Xara and swears by it! "Xara Designer Pro". Sounds lovely... downloaded a trial but didn't pursue it.

    ~Kitty
    The biz http://ink2art.com
    Giving it away since 1995... http://fullmoongraphics.com

  6. #26
    Senior Member Kitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Harley Town USA
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Billy View Post
    Do You Feel Better Now? After You Came Out of the Closet...........

    Ha! Which part? The no-programming or that I love WP? Either way, I'm free, I'm free at last!
    The biz http://ink2art.com
    Giving it away since 1995... http://fullmoongraphics.com

  7. #27

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    BA, if that were the case then you can write off NoF right now but being pedantic, your definition is accurate. Maybe we need a WYSIWYGIAVOS code generator (What you see is what you get in a variety of situations). Regardless of pedantry, RWD is the future of web design and if easy to use code generation programs can't meet that need, so much the better for the professional coders. The market will go back to being like it was in the early to mid '90s; pro's who can code will be able to demand reasonable rates once again without being undercut by newbies who don't or ppl who can't be bothered to learn. So be it.
    I am Not So Sure RWD programmed Websites will Push out the Zillions of Legacy Non RWD Websites........ Google is Going the Dual Route... Web for Phones and Webs for Desktops....... Google the Zillion Pound Gorilla May change the Future by Incorporating an RWD Solution in Their OS... Others may solve the RWD Problem by Incorporating a Hardware solution in their Phones......... If Apple Doesn't go this Route..... They are Doomed........ Also MS May Incorporate a RWD Solution in Their Browser...... Many Ways to Skin a Cat.....
    Last edited by Bronco Billy; 05-28-2013 at 02:08 PM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member LBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    543

    Default

    I really don't get it. Normal websites work fine on desktops and laptops and tablets. And on phones, well, you just give it a quick double-tap and you see everything fine, albeit with some additional scrolling... but after all, it's just a damn phone and how much web browsing do you really plan to do with that. But somebody thinks it's a good idea to throw design out the window... throw usability out the window... and sit proud with an RWD website and the knowledge that it works on all platforms. I just don't get it.

  9. #29

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by LBA View Post
    I really don't get it. Normal websites work fine on desktops and laptops and tablets. And on phones, well, you just give it a quick double-tap and you see everything fine, albeit with some additional scrolling... but after all, it's just a damn phone and how much web browsing do you really plan to do with that. But somebody thinks it's a good idea to throw design out the window... throw usability out the window... and sit proud with an RWD website and the knowledge that it works on all platforms. I just don't get it.
    Just Keep Worken On It..... You Will Eventually get it..........
    ...............................

  10. #30
    Senior Member franko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    A former NOF user has gone to Xara and swears by it! "Xara Designer Pro". Sounds lovely... downloaded a trial but didn't pursue it.
    Designer Pro tries to be an all in one graphic design solution - photos, print, web, pdf. It's great for amateurs but is never going to replace individual programs used by professionals. As far as the web goes, it still outputs xhtml - no html5 yet - and doesn't even make a mention of output to mobile devices. NoF is still well ahead as a web solution, although NoF isn't very good at creating press advertisements or designing logos....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •