Thread: Client Side Website Search?

Default Client Side Website Search?

I'm spec-ing out a project that will be a "website" distributed on a CD. This means no server-side or web-based scripts or services. It will be a rather large document (a book, actually) that is to be converted and readable via a browser.

I've been asked about being able to search the content, but most of the site search tools are web-based, like Google Site Search and such.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a client-side site search script that does not rely on being connected to the web? A Javascript local search tool or something?

Or is this not feasible due to indexing requirements?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    I'm spec-ing out a project that will be a "website" distributed on a CD. This means no server-side or web-based scripts or services. It will be a rather large document (a book, actually) that is to be converted and readable via a browser.

I've been asked about being able to search the content, but most of the site search tools are web-based, like Google Site Search and such.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a client-side site search script that does not rely on being connected to the web? A Javascript local search tool or something?

Or is this not feasible due to indexing requirements?
    I used Site Expert a few years ago on a similar project - it was on a magazine cover disk at the time, and from what I remember it worked quite well.
    A quick Google found it again, and it looks as if it's now free
    http://www.xtreeme.com/sitexpert/

Update: - on looking through the website, it might have been Search Engine Studio (same company)

Ken
    Last edited by Trimdoner; 05-30-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: to check info

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Oh, how I sincerely dislike that web marketing technique of "Download for FREE" and have no information on what it really costs until you actually install it.

I'll check it out, anyway. Meantime, if there are any other suggestions...
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in