Thread: wysiwyg is NOT always the best way !

Default wysiwyg is NOT always the best way !

setting up layout regions / text boxes etc by dragging control points and trying to be exact is MOST silly
    we need controll box to allow setting width, height, and start corner

or access to edit the HTML =
    YES _ SOME OF US DO KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING
    AND IF WE BREAK THE HTML =- THEN IT IS OUR OWN FAULT

Then why not use, oh, I don't know, Expression Web or Notepad?

I find using the guides helps me get "pixel perfect" placement, so what's your problem?

Why oh why do people keep buying hammers and complain when they don't saw wood?

Quote Originally Posted by TheeDragon View Post
    setting up layout regions / text boxes etc by dragging control points and trying to be exact is MOST silly
    we need controll box to allow setting width, height, and start corner

or access to edit the HTML =
    YES _ SOME OF US DO KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING
    AND IF WE BREAK THE HTML =- THEN IT IS OUR OWN FAULT
    If you use tables you can directly enter the height and width.

A text box is nothing more than a single celled table (when using html 4.01 with tables).

If you select the table you can move it one pixel at a time in any direction with the arrow keys

If you hold the shift key while you press the arrow keys the text box or table will move 10 pixels at a time.

Clicky clicky.... pushy pushy... nudge nudge... wink wink.... not hard at all....
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

guess I pretty "pissed" at the wise cracks to my requests
    I have been making websites since mid 90's
    and if I (a NOF user since version 1.0) want to make a request for a feature
    then why all the grief ? ? ?
    just because you have no need for it???

the suggestion that I can make edits to the html using notepad
    is FRIGGEN insane
    the program allows me to SEE the html (code)
    but can NOT edit it ???????????????????????????????????????????
    I can add snippets to code
    but not edit it !

sure moving the top left corner of a layout or text box is fine with the arrow keys

but you cannot edit the width/height except by dragging control points
    and when zoomed out - can not drag 1 pixel at a time

the only way to keep the html from pixel hopping when center screen is to have some form of trick
    either bury a clear gif in every page
    or have a layout region that is the exact same size position on every page
    how hard would it be to allow a properties box that permits coding the width. height and starting pixel ???
    I guess one day of coding

and the suggestion to make single cell tables
    when the whole world say avoid using tables

*yes - I know - NOF makes tons of tables
    Last edited by TheeDragon; 05-19-2013 at 03:18 AM.

I think this is a necessary and urgent implementation.

Just because it may be too complicated for basic users doesn't mean that it shouldn't be implemented.

Placement of tables and cells visually isn't always practical. Many of my pages/sites are data-generated, so I need to be able to specify the table or object position by entering the pixel values directly. With overlapping objects, I also need to specify the Z coordinate. It's often the case where I have navigation objects visible on the page but not clickable because they are overlapped by some other invisible object. It's very difficult to fix this visually, but it would be very easy if I could enter the HTML tag and/or value directly.
    Last edited by orish; 06-06-2013 at 05:07 AM.

I agree, wysiwyg is NOT always the best way. In fact, it rarely is. That's why there is a large number of code editors out there, paid and free. I have, over the years, used a number of them, starting with TextPad and HomeSite, moving through Netscape (I forget what the code editor was called now), HTML Kit (still on my computer), Komodo, Blue Griffon and NetBeans IDE (the latter three, with TextPad and Vi both still part of my tool kit).

What a code generator does is allow me rapidly develop small, static sites. I can then tweak the code in one of the other tools if necessary but in most cases it's not, especially with 2013.

Like someone said, why use a sledgehammer to crack nuts if a nutcracker will do the job. Or to murder another metaphor, it's horses for courses. If you have the time and the budget and a client that actually understand what web development is all about, forget about NoF. But for all those other cases - clients that have all the cluefulness of a retarded pot plant or people that expect you to build them a web site for peanuts 'cos otherwise they can get their neighbour's son to do it after school - NoF is a great solution.

Not perfect. Not until it supports direct code editing as you so rightly say. But pretty darn good for what it is - a code generator for people who can't, or don't want to, or can't afford to, write the code from scratch.