Thread: Why do we have to 'Migrate our Site' by exporting template?

Default Why do we have to 'Migrate our Site' by exporting template?

Im thinking about updating from NOF10 to latest NOF2013.

Q1 In the video it says to validate all our content then export to a new template directory. Ive got so many dependents and missing stuff I really do want to do that.
    Why cant I just open the new project?

Q2 Is it worth upgrading? I only maintain a couple of sites, so dont need new templates, but I would like to be phone compatible, better for search engines, and especially have a better shopping cart.
    Will it help me with this?

Q3 Lots of discussion on here of people having trouble upgrading the software not working etc. Any ppositive stories? Im using Win7 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarLightCap View Post
    Im thinking about updating from NOF10 to latest NOF2013.

Q1 In the video it says to validate all our content then export to a new template directory. Ive got so many dependents and missing stuff I really do want to do that.
    Why cant I just open the new project?
    If you open the site it will sstill be located in the previous version's user sites folder. You will no longer be able to open the site in the old version as Fusion is not backward compatible.

The export process cleans up the database, collects all of the assets and puts everything into a zip file that you can start a new project with. This is the basic "backup function" as without a template you have no way to start a new site should you experience issues and need to reinstall.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz