Thread: Removing excess Assets.

Default Removing excess Assets.

I am trying to remove excess assets from my site. When I look at the image bank, there are images that are no longer relevant. They were temporarily placed in the site and ended up deleted from the page but remain in the image assets panel. when I go to view the assets, they are listed and say they are in use, but they are not used and I would like them removed. How do I address the fact that the program thinks they are in use and they aren't. I can delete them but why does the program think they are being used. Is there a way to verify the assets? When I select verify status it says "found" but not where it is used. They all say yes.

NOF can be a little stubborn about removing assets sometimes. Have you tried re-optimizing your site?

Go to Site View, and under the Tools menu select "Re-Optimize". Then go back to Assets View, try verifying assets then delete unused assets. See if that helps.

Also, a note: "Image Bank" is an image library feature built into NOF. I'm assuming you were not referring to this feature in your post since this is not directly related to what gets published with your site. It can be confusing when you use a feature name as a general description.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by wudntfloat View Post
    I am trying to remove excess assets from my site. When I look at the image bank, there are images that are no longer relevant. They were temporarily placed in the site and ended up deleted from the page but remain in the image assets panel. when I go to view the assets, they are listed and say they are in use, but they are not used and I would like them removed. How do I address the fact that the program thinks they are in use and they aren't. I can delete them but why does the program think they are being used. Is there a way to verify the assets? When I select verify status it says "found" but not where it is used. They all say yes.
    If you double click on an asset it will tell you where it stored and on what pages it is being used.

This gotfusion tutorial will explain more about asset view

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=357
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    If you double click on an asset it will tell you where it stored and on what pages it is being used.
    Well, I've had instances where the "pages" list is blank, I've gone through the site and ensured all instances are removed, and NOF still won't let it go. Very recently, I resorted to simply highlighting it and selected "DELETE" and ignored all the protestations from NOF.

But always best to follow the breadcrumbs and ensure it doesn't exist anywhere on your site (even on "Do Not Publish" pages), and let NOF do the tidying up.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Well, I've had instances where the "pages" list is blank, I've gone through the site and ensured all instances are removed, and NOF still won't let it go. Very recently, I resorted to simply highlighting it and selected "DELETE" and ignored all the protestations from NOF.

But always best to follow the breadcrumbs and ensure it doesn't exist anywhere on your site (even on "Do Not Publish" pages), and let NOF do the tidying up.
    Tah

That's exactly what I had to do as well. It seems that the more I re-optimize and re-verify my assets, the better job it does. Maybe the program senses, I'm sorta crazy and I'll delete those assets myself if it doesn't behave. Thanx again for everyones help

OK. I just figured out one way you could have an asset that won't remove itself from the Assets List, even if it is not used on a page.

If you create a custom style, say under Text -> Manage Styles... that references an asset like a background image, even if you don't use that style anywhere in your site, NOF will still want to include it as it will be referenced by your CSS file in the style definition.

However, I've still got two assets showing as "In Use" that are no longer part of the style and no longer in use. It says they are on a page, but I cannot find any reference to them. I did a complete Local Publish, then a search of file contents in the folder & sub-folders using Notepad++, and came up with no instances of the file name in any of the published files.

Just one of those crazy things we love about NOF.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in