Thread: Runtime error 216 at 00002F70

Default Runtime error 216 at 00002F70

I’m running NOF10 in Windows 7 Professional 32bit
    After double clicking on the program desktop icon I get popup messages “Netobjects has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly - close the program” after clicking on "Close the program" then a popup shows “Runtime error 216 at 00002F70”
    After closing these messages the program then still opens

The user sites will also open

But when I try to open any of the folders within the site, I get another popup saying;
    "Netobjects has detected an unstable file and will now recover your site. The time required varies. If you exit now, Netobjects will recover your file the next time you open the site." click OK,
    Then another popup appears "Recovery was successful. You might need to redo recent changes." click OK
    Then the program hangs

I get the same sequence with my other sites as well, so it's not restricted to one site.

I have uninstalled and re-installed NOF
    I have run anti malware spyware and virus scans
    I tried to do a system restore to an earlier time but was unsuccessful, Windows refused

Can anyone please assist?
    Last edited by RichieT; 07-16-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Found more info

According to MS it is a virus on your machine that throws that

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259279
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Holy Moly, the SubSeven trojan is still around? It was a bit of a threat to unwary users, especially on IRC, back in the mid-90s. Can't believe it's still getting through firewalls and not being picked up by anti-virus engines, unless it's so old it's dropped out of the other end.

Thanks for the comments and assistance, however I'm perplexed!
    I have uninstalled NOF10, with difficulty (had to use Perfect Uninstaller to complete the task), and run (several times) anti spyware utilities scans (Super AntiSpyware, SpyBot Search.., Malwarebytes, RogueKiller, TDSSkiller, Combofix) plus AVG Anti Virus scan, I've run Auslogics registry cleaner several times.
    Then I reinstalled NOF 10 and the runtime 216 error is still there :-(
    No other program is affected. I have never had a problem like this before. Why is it that only NOF 10 is being affected?
    I'm not sure how a virus could've got on in the first place as I have AVG and Zonealarm constantly running, plus I regularly run the above Anti Spyware utilities, but I guess it is what it is!
    Any suggestions? I'm pulling my hair out (what's left of it!)

I suppose it's possible that there's something else which is triggering the error message. As far as removal goes, AVG and Zonealarm should be able to help you. Have you tried contacting their support? I didn't look closely to see if Microsoft has a removal process on the web site Mike gave you but they may have.

If it is indeed Sub7 then it should be fairly easy to remove as it's been around for so long. If it's something else throwing the exception, then you might want to try removing NoF 10 again and then installing the NoF free version to see if you get the same error. Or you could upgrade to a newer version - 10 was my least favourite version and the program has improved substantially in the versions since.

Thanks for your further input. I haven't fixed it yet but I'm pretty sure I now know what the problem is. I have unrepairable registry issues (unrepairable by sfc /scannow that is), so it's probably coincidental that NOF is the one program being affected. Where I live we get a lot of power cuts and unfortunately that particular machine has been caught out several times and the UPS didn't kick in. In my experience this can do a lot of damage to software. So tomorrow I'm going to try my last resort which is to re-install win 7 on top of itself; I really don't want to format! Too much PT, I have a lot of stuff on that machine. We're pretty happy with NOF10 so far, so haven't bothered to upgrade

Let us know how you get on.

In the end I had to format ...

Too bad Still, at least you know you've got a clean install which so it should be a couple years before you need to do it again (in my experience that's all any windows installation lasts without needing a clean reinstall). You might want to think about a new UPS too if the current one didn't cut in quickly enough when the power went down. Good ones are expensive, but worth every dollar in my experience (had a lightning strike last night; the UPS went down but prevented any damage to the computers on the network).

Where I live we get a lot of power cuts and unfortunately that particular machine has been caught out several times and the UPS didn't kick in. In my experience this can do a lot of damage to software. So tomorrow I'm going to try my last resort which is to re-install win 7 on top of itself; I really don't want to format! Too much PT, I have a lot of stuff on that machine. We're pretty happy with NOF10 so far, so haven't bothered to upgrade..???