Thread: Text from a deleted text box still appearing when the site is published.

Default Text from a deleted text box still appearing when the site is published.

hi, I deleted a text box containing a string of text, but the string is still visible on top of an image when I publish the site. It is not visible in the design phase. The text string is also visible in the HTML code, but there seems to be no way to delete it there.

Any help would be appreciated.
    sam

Are you Local Publishing or remote publishing from within NoF? Have you checked your file permissions on your server? Have you tried downloading the file from the web server and opening it in an editor to see if it has been changed. Do you have 'Publish changed assets only' ticked in the publish dialog? My guess is that the file isn't being overwritten for one of these reasons.

Have to tried clearing your cache to see if, in fact, the new page hasn't really been remotely published? Have you deleted the file off the server to prove that the cache is clear, forcing a 404 message or showing that you haven't really remote published the page yet? Have you cleared your Local Publish and Preview folders before publishing? Have you checked to make sure you have no instances of the text somehow hidden from view on your page due to overlaps, causing it to show up in some completely different location than expected? Have you tried rebuilding the page with just the desired elements?

Default Not that advanced!

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Are you Local Publishing or remote publishing from within NoF? Have you checked your file permissions on your server? Have you tried downloading the file from the web server and opening it in an editor to see if it has been changed. Do you have 'Publish changed assets only' ticked in the publish dialog? My guess is that the file isn't being overwritten for one of these reasons.
    hi, I think you're a little too advanced for me. I'm remote publishing from within NOF. No idea about file permissions on my server, which is 1and1. I've been working with them for 5 years, and never had a problem.

Also, when I preview, I see the unwanted text.

Tried to publish it both ways, ie, changed assets only and full. Same result. I usually publish 'change assets only.'

As I mentioned, the text I'm trying to eliminate is visible in the HTML code, as a text box. Seems to be problem within NOF. Is there a way to see a list of active text boxes?

sorry to be so dense, and thanks in advance for your help
    sam

Jan,
    hi, like your idea about hidden text. Though invisible in the Design mode, it appears on top or behind an image when I Preview.

Is there a list of all text boxes anywhere? Haven't tried to rebuild the page, since it's my home page, and quite full of text & images.
    sam

What is your publishing method - Fixed or dynamic (you set this in your site options but you can override the site settings for any individual page layout or layout region)? If Fixed then NoF will allow you to place an object on top of another object, thus hiding it as Laurance said. However, if Dynamic and you place an object on top of another object you will see a little red exclamation mark in the corner of the overlapping objects. If you don't see this, change your output method (you can do it in the layout region properties box) to Dynamic and you will see it. Move (or delete) the objects with the exclamation mark until it no longer appears.

Twayne

Default Re: Text from a deleted text box still appearing when the site ispublished.

On 2013-07-18 12:48 AM, sambarone wrote:
    > hi, I deleted a text box containing a string of text, but the string is
    > still visible on top of an image when I publish the site. It is not
    > visible in the design phase. The text string is also visible in the
    > HTML code, but there seems to be no way to delete it there.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > sam
    >
    >

I'm going to guess that something is "left over" on your website. Grab a
    good ftp program like FileZilla and look for it; you might find several
    obsolete files left there.

IMO the easiest way with NOF is to Publish the Entire Site, with the
    check on Changed Assets only, or use an ftp program to completely remove
    everything and then republish it with NOF.

Back up your current site by Exporting a Template, Whole Site, first so
    you always have it to start over with. Put the Exported zip file in a
    safe place.

the ftp program deleting everything in and below your root is the best
    way to be certain of clearing out all the chaffe & getting everything
    refreshed with only the code you want there.

NOF will delete the files with a complete republish but I don't think
    that deletes extraneous files it no longer knows about.

Twayne`