Thread: NOF 12 stops working when working in Photo Gallery - "unstable file"

Default NOF 12 stops working when working in Photo Gallery - "unstable file"

I have been a long time NOF user for my personal sites since the late 90's. So have experienced the ups and downs and frustrations with the various versions. Currently have NOF 12 build 5071 on Windows 8. I originally built current site in NOF 11 and had been updating it now and again since I migrated it to NOF 12 mid 2011. Had been performing OK with no issues until now.

Added a new page and set up a new photo gallery, added photos and captions and saved as I went. All seemed good and I added more photos and then message popped up "NetObjects Fusion 12 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. CLOSE PROGRAM"

Clicked on CLOSE PROGRAM (no other option provided) which closed NOF. I went to reopen site and got message "NetObjects Fusion has detected an unstable file and will now recover your site. The time required for this process will vary. If you exit now, NetObjects Fusion will recover your file the next time you open the site."
    Proceeded to open the site and got message "NetObjects Fusion: Recovery was successful. You might need to redo recent changes."

I went on to add more photos until the above scenario repeated itself a few times. I tried deleting all the photos and adding them again with no improvement. I "Re-Optimized" the site, checked all assets and once again tried to add more photos and again NOF 12 crashed.

Went into other Photo Gallery pages that had previously given me no issues and now they are now suffering from the same issue.

I have no idea what is causing this or how to cure - please help!!!

It sounds like it might be a corrupted .nod file. Save your site (all your sites if you're storing them in the User Sites folder), export as template and then reinstall NoF (it shouldn't overwrite the User Sites folder but I've long learned to back everything up before reinstalling software). See if that fixes the problem.

And frankly, I haven't used the photo gallery component in a long time as I find third party ones such as Visual Lightbox better and calling them into a page from outside means that you can update and re-generate them without any chance of corrupting your main site nod file). But of course, that's your choice.

Hi Franko, we are almost neighbours with you being in TAS and me in VIC.

Thanks for your advice, I will give it a go after I see if anyone else has other alternative viewpoints. Way back with about version 8 unstable files were a problem and from memory saving to a template and starting another site based on the template was a recommended solution. But your advice to reinstall the program seems to indicate that the program itself may be corrupted and causing the unstable nod?

But your advice to reinstall the program seems to indicate that the program itself may be corrupted and causing the unstable nod?
    It happens - rarely - but it happens. As I said, I haven't used the photo gallery component since, oh, about v8. But if you've deleted the gallery and recreated it and it's still not working, I can't think of anything else it could be unless the gallery component itself is corrupted. And again, a reinstall should fix that.

Twayne

Default Re: NOF 12 stops working when working in Photo Gallery - "unstablefile"

On 2013-08-12 6:05 PM, franko wrote:
    >> But your advice to reinstall the program seems to indicate that the
    >> program itself may be corrupted and causing the unstable nod?

>
    > It happens - rarely - but it happens. As I said, I haven't used the
    > photo gallery component since, oh, about v8. But if you've deleted the
    > gallery and recreated it and it's still not working, I can't think of
    > anything else it could be unless the gallery component itself is
    > corrupted. And again, a reinstall should fix that.
    >
    >

I agree with Franko; a reinstall may well help and can't hurt anything
    if it fails to fix the problem.
    BEFORE reinstalling however, be certain to use Export; As template;
    Whole Site. That way if anything goes wrong you can at least always get
    back to where you started.

A couple other words of advice:

== EVERY time you get to a working state, create another Template of
    the site, right away! I usually add the ISO date (yyyy, mm, dd) so it
    will display the zips in order of saving, making it easier to tell what
    status the backup template actually is.
    Generally I'll use a name like "general Form Name 2013-08-17
    status" and if it's not fully functional I might also add that after the
    status part.

== Use plenty of meaningful comments. Often, I'll place a comment AFTER
    or AT the top of the code, or if it's something more specific, AFTER a
    line of PHP code like:
    echo "something is " . $whatever; // ======== Throwing early End var
    here ===="
    It makes TS'ing a lot easier to find where things might be when the
    PHP Line Number is so far from accurate it's, well, frustrating!

Some text editors allow zipping or unzipping right from within the
    application; I use one of those. Handy.

HTH,

Twayne`

Thanks for the responses Franko and Twayne. Unfortunately, after trying your recommendations and everything that I can think of I still have a Corrupt File. Tried to export the "recovered" NOD as a template and NOF indicated that it was saved as a template but when I tried to open the template I got the message "The Archive does not contain any Fusion template files"? I then opened an older version of the NOD and successfully saved to a template and opened as a new NOD. I uninstalled and reinstalled NOF12 and started a new site from the template and it still crashed in the Photo Gallery. I can get the issue to arise by opening the page with the photo gallery, Open the Photo Gallery editor and then clicking on the photo file names one after the other. After about 6 file names I get the warning message and the program closes. I have 13 separate pages with a Photo Gallery in each and the issue now starts when I do the above to any one of them even though I have not changed most of them for some months. I have deleted the most recent Photo Gallery but the problem is now in all of them?

I will now have to lodge a support request because I have no idea how to solve this issue or identify what caused it and how to prevent it happening again.

It happens to me as well. I am searching for a workaround. The ecommerce component does the same to me.

I don't use either of the components preferring to use JQuery galleries and dedicated shop software (I have both Miva and Zencart installed on my server). However, I have used them in the past with v12 and they worked just fine. I suspect therefore that there have been updates to Windows that have created an instability in the program. When you have a base OS that is as complicated, complex and bloated as is windows, that is very likely to happen whenever there is an update to it (and that seems to be every few days these days). As NoF12 is an old version, I suspect that any development of patches for these situations will have ceased although I cannot speak for Netobjects. There was a recent update to correct issues that emerged with IE11 though.