Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I "move" a hot spot

Default How can I "move" a hot spot

My son built a website for my corporation (www.wiscorp.com). The most recent generation has been posted.

Page http://www.wiscorp.com/about_wiscorp.html demonstrates my issue.

The hotspot, Contact Whitemarsh has TOO much space above it. I suspect that this is caused by the hot spot occupying a fixed position. Can you please tell me how to change the position so that there is NOT so much white space from the bottom of the text to the hotspot?

Regards,
    Mike Gorman

Is it in the bottom master border? If so, simply select "Size layout to objects" from the Object Menu and your problem should go away.

HTH

Problem still there.... Here's what I have done:

1. Gone to the main menu (File....) Selected Object, Selected "Size Layout to Objects". Things sort of adjusted around. Then did a Preview with IE 9 selected. Looked at the page and there's still a whole bunch of room between the end of the text (bullet with link "Workshops") and the HotSpot, "Contact Whitemarsh"

2. Same as "1" but Selected Object, Selected "Size Master Border to Objects". Same result.

As to the original problem, could not move the "Contact Whitemarsh" hot spot, I Selected "Contact Whitemarsh," then under the page's Object Tree, selected RectangleHotspot24, and UNCLICKED "Always display hotspots." For some reason I do NOT understand I can now move and resize the "Contact Whitemarsh." Is that an "undocumented feature" or do I just not understand what "Always display hotspots" means?

Regardless, I'd still like to get rid of that extra space from the bottom of the page....

OK... now with some futzing around, I see that on the page's layout, AboutWiscorpLayout, I see that the Layout is W-623 H-975, BUT the Page is W-623 H-1146 I am guessing here that is the "problem." How can I get the page height 1142 to be the layout height 975?

So, now I guess I'm looking for a general setting that says that the page Height is automatically adjusted to the Layout Height?

Regards,
    Mike Gorman

I'm afraid I'm not following.

Are you certain the hotspot is related to the spacing issue you are having?
    What happens if you delete the hotspot?
    Does the problem go away?
    Does it come back when you re-create the hotspot?

Do you see the extra space in the Layout Window? What about the Preview Window?

Maybe besides the point, but is a "hotspot" the proper tool to be using here? Typically this is used to create multiple links on different areas of a single graphic image. This looks like a single image that links to another page. Why not simply make the image a link?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Thanks for your question. Yes, for sure it's just a link. I have replaced it. The resulting new page is at: http://www.wiscorp.com/about_wiscorp.html

Notice that the space (about 2 inches) is still there.

Even more mysterious is page: http://www.wiscorp.com/past_clients_project_desc.html

So, somehow, I've done something to make the space at the end of the "text" block to go nuts.

Any idea?

Regards,
    Mike G

In Design View do you have any objects following the text, do you have a paragraph tags (returns) or does the bottom MasterBorder follow on immediately below the text? I'm assuming the footer text is in the bottom MasterBorder?

Franko:

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

When I press the Design rectangle at the bottom left, and attempt to delete anything below the last text, nothing must be there.

When I press the Preview rectangle at the bottom left, all the extra white space is NOT there between the last text and the fotter.

BUT when I generate the page viat the Publish Site and push that to my ISP, it is THEN that I see all that extra white space.

Truly perplexing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Folks:

In case you're trying to help me out here, and I do thank you, I have pushed up the latest version of the site. A number of newly created pages are "blank" in that they only contain the footer. I'll be elsewhere all day tomorrow filling in all those "blank" pages and will push up new versions during the day.

So here's hoping somebody can identify just why I'm getting all this extra "white" space on a number of different pages. I have checked the newly created pages an the "white" is generally not there.

Even more perplexing.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike Gorman
    Last edited by mmgorman; 08-21-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Are you sure that it isn't just the case that you have created a huge page? In design view, make sure that your footer is right up against the text in your page. Just a thought.
    NOF 2013: (AU1)......Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Build 7601:SP1)
    Mac OSX 10.8.3.....Parallels Desktop 8 (8.0.18483)
    iMac 27" 2.7 GHz Intel Core 2 i5.....12Gb 1333 Mhz DDR3

Rich:

Thanks for the suggestion. However the footer is right up to the text. The two "white" margin markers, one for the end of the text and one for the end of the page that are on the left bracket the footer just fine.

Here are four examples:

1. http://www.wiscorp.com/about_wiscorp.html
    2. http://www.wiscorp.com/past_clients_project_desc.html
    3. http://www.wiscorp.com/acknowledgements.html
    4. http://www.wiscorp.com/michael_m_gorman.html

There has just got to be a reason for this. I just cannot figure out what it is.

what is your html output setting? HTML 4.01 or HTML 4.01 with tables? I would use HTML 4.01 with tables if I had to make a choice of the two, it is more accurate in alignments than HTML5 which still needs to mature a long time to catch up

also, I noticed your fonts have no size assigned in the css

I would set P and H tags to use px sizes and also specify space above and space below to 0px for P and H tags