Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fusion 13 - Worth the upgrade!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Dynamic Content is anything that is not Static Content. If you have a script that pulls information in from a database and displays it on demand, that would be 'dynamic'.

I gave the example of a News Script. You might show a headline on the page that is pulled in from a database. Click on the headline, and the full story loads from the database and is displayed. Obviously the headline will take up less space than the full story. So any content below this must shift down to accommodate. Generally this doesn't happen in WWB. What you get is an article that overlaps, say, your page footer or any content that may be lower on the page. Or you get a box with a scroll bar.

OK...... Nice Explanation.... You are Talking about Real Time changes of Content as Opposed to Web Build(Develop) Times changes of Content.... The Static Page content Must move around to adjust to the Real Time dynamic content Change etc.....................

I Don't Know if the Current WB9 does Dynamic Content or does not.......... I will Try to Replicate it or Point to URLs that show how it can be done in WB9....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Billy View Post
    OK...... Nice Explanation.... You are Talking about Real Time changes of Content as Opposed to Web Build(Develop) Times changes of Content.... The Static Page content Must move around to adjust to the Real Time dynamic content Change etc.....................

I Don't Know if the Current WB9 does Dynamic Content or does not.......... I will Try to Replicate it or Point to URLs that show how it can be done in WB9....
    Here is One Way that Dynamic Content Can be Displayed...... Click Here... Set the Overflow Mode to Expand.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Dynamic Content is anything that is not Static Content. If you have a script that pulls information in from a database and displays it on demand, that would be 'dynamic'.

I gave the example of a News Script. You might show a headline on the page that is pulled in from a database. Click on the headline, and the full story loads from the database and is displayed. Obviously the headline will take up less space than the full story. So any content below this must shift down to accommodate. Generally this doesn't happen in WWB. What you get is an article that overlaps, say, your page footer or any content that may be lower on the page. Or you get a box with a scroll bar.
    Also.... I Have Nof12..... Which is Terrific in My Opinion...... My Stupid question is "Does nof12 do Dynamic Content???"

My Stupid question is "Does nof12 do Dynamic Content???"
    Both html 4.01 with tables and html 5 allow for page resizing due to variable size content being imported into the page. NoF also has database connectors to allow you to pull content from a database (which is the generally accepted definition of dynamic content).

NoF does not yet allow you to output a responsive design. The thing I've found is that in this market space (which is primarily aimed at amateur and semi-professional users rather than professional developers who will generally develop in an IDE) the leaders are all pretty much up with one another. I bought WWB and then NoF brought out v2013 which leapfrogged WWB. Now it appears that WWB has leapfrogged NoF for a while. But you can bet that it's only a matter of time before NoF again leapfrogs WWB. And so on.

The thing is, if you want to employ leading edge technology such as, for example, html 5 animation, then you have to learn to code because it will always be a good while before the code generators catch up. First they have to understand the technology and then find a way to implement it such that one of their customers who has little development expertise can do it in a drag and drop environment. No small ask.

I prefer to stick with NoF because it does what I want in the space that I use it. Yes, I could upgrade to the latest version of WWB and then back to 2013 and so on. That's fine, if you like playing leapfrog. I don't. I have too many other things that take my time. Like preaching the gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    v2013 which leapfrogged WWB.
    Respectfully, I disagree. The only feature NOF has over WWB is that master borders are automatically setup. This is done manually in WWB and if I understand you right franko, you seem to preach control and WWB has always given more of that, especially with extensions. NOF throws what they can into the total product whereas WWB follows the same kind of idea with each little thing having much more editing control (forms especially) but when it comes to the bells and whistles to enhance your site, you only take what you need, many of them free and tested true by the users. That's also another key ingredient, how anyone can contribute to the market. This means many "coders" adding to software's enhancements rather that NOF's practice of staying within their walls. Regardless of anyone's faith in NOF, they are losing market share to WWB and other online editors, it's a stubborn fact.

Exclamation How to kill NOF 13...!

I've used NOF since back when it was Mac only (gawd, how many years is that?) - still my favorite tool for non-business, non-database connected websites. However, just ran into a weird problem that took me a bit too figure out. I just updated to Update #2, and all of a sudden I couldn't publish any pages, either local or remote, NOF13 would crash very ungracefully. It would just stop in the middle of rendering the html and go away. I thought it might have something to do with the upgrade (and it still may be the case) but I have no way of reverting to see. (BTW I'm running 64-bit Win 7).

Today, I started thinking about what else changed yesterday which might have contributed to the problem, and I found the answer: A friend had sent me an email with a "cut & paste" from an Excel file" table of a schedule of events. I copied it from the email and just pasted it onto my page. Since that time, nothing has worked. Today I went in and deleted that table, and voila! everything works fine... Moral of the story: if you want to kill NOF13, just paste in part of an Excel file as a table. Word to the wise...

(not sure where else I should have posted this - it's my first post and I didn't readily see a "create new thread" link...)

Quote Originally Posted by chasbabb View Post

(not sure where else I should have posted this - it's my first post and I didn't readily see a "create new thread" link...)
    Then you need to delete this post and try again. See image for where to look, it ain't that invisible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HereItIs.png 
Views:	294 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	1577

That means the formatted bug still exists in fusion, and was NEVER fixed!.

You had better delete page you inserted that excel spreadsheet because you .nod file is most likely corrupted now, and the failures will pop up on un-related pages.

Rule of thumb - Never import formatted text, always specify unformatted then apply effects threw fusion, or you will regret it in the future.

One of the hard lessons I learned right after the automatic backup facility went south on fusion.

Duf

You can call it a bug or you can call knowing the way the software works and taking the suggestion that is probably the most often offered piece of advice mentioned in this forum. Don't paste directly from programs that hide crap-code in the clipboard, like Word and Excel... which means, use an intermediary program like Notepad for copy and paste... or even easier, just change the default paste setting in NOF so that it will always Paste As Text. Problem solved.

This "BUG" seems to have a tendancy to work or just not be apparent until at a latter date you do something like an Optimize and then its with you forever. AND the only solution is to start from new.

I still have to find that "default" option cause I always have to select "unformatted", as well as the "default" action to not place pictures in a wysiwyg screen as they SHOULD look BUT blow them up to original size if you should leave the page you are working on.

I calls it as I sees it "BUG", especially when it worked in earlier versions.