Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text Size smaller in browsers than in NOF2013?

Default Text Size smaller in browsers than in NOF2013?

NOF 2013 page view on left .... IE in middle, FF on right .... Style size set and matches what I see in NOF ... Text size set in browsers to default medium.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wtf.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1574  
    Last edited by darrincates; 09-09-2013 at 09:42 PM.

And the URL is ...?

What settings are you using in NoF for text size? points? Pixels? ???

Quote Originally Posted by 1FugleyKiwi View Post
    And the URL is ...?
    No URL yet .. just getting started ...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FugleyKiwi View Post
    What settings are you using in NoF for text size? points? Pixels? ???
    I have the font set to Verdana size 10 in the sites style, and on the page view the font is set to Verdana 10 pt as well, but when viewed in any browser, it comes out looking like size 8 ... Picture from my 1st post above shows NOF 13 page view on the left showing Verdana size 10, then IE in the middle showing a smaller font when published, and far right is FF showing a smaller font size when published. Is there some type of other style / CSS setting somewhere new in 2013 that I am missing? I guess my question is why wouldn't it come out looking like it does in NOF? Why would NOF change the font size on publish from what I see in page view? I gave up and did the whole site in NOF 7 because when I set a font size in NOF 7, I get it on publish .... www.mainecustomdesign.com/~mainemon was done in NOF 7 .. thanks for any tips! - Darrin

Don't set text properties in the Text Properties panel. Let the selected style take care of it. Make sure to define ALL properties for each type of text element in your SiteStyle.

See my long-winded rant here.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

First, don't set the font size in points. Points is a print measure and defined several centuries before even the most basic CRT screens came out. Always use pixels (or ems or % if you know what you're doing, which you clearly don't at this stage - no offence, just a statement of fact).

Second, understand that the web is not, never has been and isn't designed to be like a hard copy printing medium. The point of html is to define what certain elements are so that they can be styled according to the style sheet. While it would be nice for everything to appear the same in ever browser, it won't. It is the browser that renders the display by interpreting the html; again, it's not like print; you will get variations (although nothing like we used to a decade or so ago).

Points and pixels will both differ in appearance depending on the resolution of the screen (and, indeed, its make). In the same way that no two monitors will display colours the same. Some displays are now coming out as double-pixel displays (eg, Apple's Retina display) which give a higher resolution for the screen size.

NoF (and indeed all other similar programs) are not true wysiwyg for the reasons I've just outlined. Just accept them as a guide, publish and test, test, test before going live. This has always been the way to do it; just because our tools are getting more sophisticated doesn't mean that the need for testing has been obviated.

Finally, don't take this as criticism or a rant; asking questions here is always a good thing to do. Don't be afraid to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Don't set text properties in the Text Properties panel. Let the selected style take care of it. Make sure to define ALL properties for each type of text element in your SiteStyle. See my long-winded rant here.
    Hi Ray, thanks for the reply & help .... I went into Style view, set all types of text to be Verdana 10pt and they got real small:

Then I went to page view and set the text properties to automatic which produced large text that ran over objects, but I publised any way and it came out right:
    (NOF 13 page view on left, published browser view on right .... )

So to get the font to be correct on publish, I need to put up with layout overlapping? .. I must be doing something wrong .... at least in NOF 7 I can set the font size in the pageview and thats excactly what I get when I publish .... why is this not the case in NOF 13? - Thanks Ray!

Frustrated with NOF13, I ended up developing the whole site in a couple hours in NOF7 last night ... with no problems of CSS or text size: www.mainecustomdesign.com/~mainemon ...

It should be as easy in NOF13 as it was in NOF7, but it seems that there are more functional hoops to jump through in NOF13.
    Last edited by darrincates; 09-11-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by darrincates View Post
    no, it's not a 'fact' that I don't know what I am doing, and yes, ... you know that is a bit offencive, .... but then again, that's why you typed it, isn't it. If you truly did not want to offend, then you wouldn't have taken then time to type that in there, right?

The 'fact' is that I've been developing many, many small and large websites for many, many years. My 1st site was built with NOF1 in 1995: http://www.mainecustomdesign.com/oldsite/
    My little web business has raised a family, bought a couple houses, cars, trucks, a big boat, dirtbikes, and paid for many vacations, etc .... So I guess the fact is that I do know what I'm doing?
    My website development supports my family. How could I not know what I am doing with 600+ clients over almost 20 years? ... I still have the NOF version 1 CD in my rack.

Anyways, frustrated with NOF13, I ended up developing the whole site in a couple hours in NOF7 last night ... with no problems of CSS or text size: www.mainecustomdesign.com/~mainemon ...

No this is not a case of I not knowing what I'm doing, this is a defficiency in NOF13 making things harder than they need to be .... The fact that I did this site in NOF7 w/o issues in a couple hours clearly denotes that.

It should be as easy in NOF13 as it was in NOF7, but it seems that there are more functional hoops to jump through in NOF13.

Please, lets stick to the specific functions of NOF13, and avoid making derrogatory statements pointed towards my 'knowing' or not knowing' what I am doing. Be it points or pixels, either way it should work correctly or they wouldn't have put it in the program ..
    Maybe you should suggest to the developers of NOF that they take 'Points' out as an option to use, rather than tell me I don't know what I'm doing because I used what was made available to me to use. I use what ever I can make work - Thanks Franko!
    It Does Work Correctly....... It Just Doesn't Work What You "Think" is Correctly..... If I were King.......................

Jesusonapogostick, Darrin. You get answers, good, helpful answers, but not the answers you wanted, so you shoot the messenger. Come on, we are all here, reading and answering posts as a community. We get no cash reward for doing so, just (for me, anyway) the occasional satisfaction of helping someone out, or even learning something new myself.

Back the truck up a bit - if NoF 13 worked just like NoF 7 why bother with the upgrade? Things change, get used to it. And take the time to learn about the changes, or stick with an outdated product.

more functional hoops to jump through in NOF13 actually means that 13 is an updated and improved product that you don't seem bothered to learn.

/rant

hi darrincates, I was having the same problem as you but discovered the solution...double click on the text, then click the CLEAR button on the Text properties box.
    Then 'select' all the text, and then increase the size by 1 pt which increases the text to the same size as your original text (when you upload)...give it a test trial and you will soon resolve the issue...hard to explain but \I finally got it to upload and display at the desired size. Cheers.
    Last edited by gazzaly; 09-12-2013 at 06:03 AM.