Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carousel broken files

dmroo, as I replied to you in a previous thread, you have your google analytics code before the <html> tag, that is, before the start of the page. Don't know if this is affecting the way your carousel works but it is the first thing to fix. Even if it's not affecting the display of the page it may well be affecting whether or not GA works properly since it is outside the web page.

Erik - nice site for a photographer. Would be even nicer if you did the footer so it extended across the window. I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem, though, as I've never tried adding a caroousel (NoF or third party) into a MLR. Maybe someone else with more experience in them may be able to help. Tommy? Ray?

Erik,

There seems to be an issue where the scroll parameter is not always being published correctly. I added the problem to our issue tracker.

Try toggling the scroll by parameter for the carousels that are not running. For example, change value from 1 to 2 back to 1 and then republish.

OK, I'm going to take a stab at two things in this thread, since Franko fired up the Bat-Signal.

First, this is a bit of a vague recollection, but it seems there was an issue if your file extensions were upper-case, or partly upper-case. E.G. filname.JPG or filename.Jpeg. Windows deals with it OK, but either the browser or NOF doesn't handle it gracefully. Check your filenames. Sometimes it is not obvious. Windows can display the file in a list with the extension in lower-case, but if you are in the rename state on the file, the true case of the filename is revealed.

Note how when the filename is highlighted for rename, the extension is displayed in uppercase.

Attachment 1706
    Attachment 1707

Second, no, you cannot place an image carousel inside an MLR. I recall trying it once and giving up. I'm sure there was a thread that I created, but I can't find it. (one of the frustrations of searching this forum is your search word must be 4 characters or longer. So MLR, CSS and any number of relevant acronyms are not searchable. I've started putting at least one instance of a longer term "multi layout region" in my threads for searchability later.)

You could try placing the carousel on a separate "zero-margin" page, then pull it in via an I-Frame. Although I probably tried that, too. Sorry. Can't recall. Try it and let us know.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Ray,

I was able to add two carousels inside of an MLR with success. I used an AU4 installation. The only gotcha was the issue with an incorrect scroll by value that I mentioned in my post above. As I mentioned, toggling the value resolved the problem on publish.

My earlier test used a TabTop MLR which also worked with multiple carousels on multiple tabs of the same TabTop.

If you are still experiencing difficulty, let us know.

And one other thing to consider. Unix servers, which will be the majority of 3rd party hosting servers, are Case sENSITIVE. Windows isn't. So if the case of your file name or file extension is different from the image tag in your html, then the server will not be able to serve the image.

Unless you're on a windows server, in which case all I can seriously recommend is changing your host and moving your site to a Unix server before someone hacks it (people hack windows servers for fun. Newbies hack them for practice before tacking much harder to crack Unix servers).

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneC View Post
    Ray,

I was able to add two carousels inside of an MLR with success. I used an AU4 installation. The only gotcha was the issue with an incorrect scroll by value that I mentioned in my post above. As I mentioned, toggling the value resolved the problem on publish.

My earlier test used a TabTop MLR which also worked with multiple carousels on multiple tabs of the same TabTop.

If you are still experiencing difficulty, let us know.
    My apologies if this is the case. I'm going from (distant) memory, and was likely using NOF 12 or even 11 when I tried this. I know I was trying to jam something into an MLR that wouldn't function inside. This was likely a third-party script that I was using.

Do you think the way that the way NOF structures the carousel makes it more likely to function inside an MLR better than a jQuery-based script?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    dmroo, as I replied to you in a previous thread, you have your google analytics code before the <html> tag, that is, before the start of the page. Don't know if this is affecting the way your carousel works but it is the first thing to fix. Even if it's not affecting the display of the page it may well be affecting whether or not GA works properly since it is outside the web page.

Erik - nice site for a photographer. Would be even nicer if you did the footer so it extended across the window. I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem, though, as I've never tried adding a caroousel (NoF or third party) into a MLR. Maybe someone else with more experience in them may be able to help. Tommy? Ray?
    Hi Franko,
    Thank you for your quick reaction and the compliment. Question: what do you mean by my doing the footer?

Hi Steve,
    Thank you for your comment. You mean: changing the value after the words Object ID: CarouselX? I have changed numbers individually, but not consistenly from Carousel 1 to 3 for my son's website that you have seen. However, on the website I have made for my wife, www.sieradenuitdenatuur.nl I have noticed that adding new carousels on the page 'Voorbeelden' (=examples) would result in getting the indication carousel1 again, instead of the next number, e.g. 13 or whatever. This shows indeed that the internal carousel counter doesn't function totally correct. In those particular cases I have only changed the number of the concerning carousel by hand. But I never went back to renumbering from number 1 onwards. I will make the attempt in due course and report.
    Regards,
    Erik

Erik, so the footer is like the header on your site. It extends across the browser window. As the browser is enlarged the footer expands across the browser window. Just like you have the header bar with the navigation.

The NoF template "Relentless" does this. Check it out. Or, as I usually do, you can create the footer as part of your background image fixed to a horizontal repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikthuis View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Thank you for your comment. You mean: changing the value after the words Object ID: CarouselX? I have changed numbers individually, but not consistenly from Carousel 1 to 3 for my son's website that you have seen. However, on the website I have made for my wife, www.sieradenuitdenatuur.nl I have noticed that adding new carousels on the page 'Voorbeelden' (=examples) would result in getting the indication carousel1 again, instead of the next number, e.g. 13 or whatever. This shows indeed that the internal carousel counter doesn't function totally correct. In those particular cases I have only changed the number of the concerning carousel by hand. But I never went back to renumbering from number 1 onwards. I will make the attempt in due course and report.
    Regards,
    Erik
    Erik,

You do not need to change the ObjectID for the carousel to work. Fusion will generate a new id every time you add a carousel to the page. If you delete a carousel, a future carousel that you add on the same page may get the id of the one deleted earlier.

If you edited the Object IDs, make sure that each carousel on a page has a unique Object ID.

My issue with the carousel was that the "Scroll by" value (i.e. second numeric field in the general property panel) was not always being published correctly for a new carousel. Toggling the value (e.g. change from 1 to 2 back to 1) resulted in the published Javascript output being correct.