Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to NOF developers regarding sharing NOF sites among several collaborators.

Exclamation Question to NOF developers regarding sharing NOF sites among several collaborators.

We are a small company who have been developing web sites using NOF (up to version 12).
    The big problem we have is transferring the site between developers.
    The template system is way too clumsy and unstable for rapid development.
    We would like to just transfer a single file and immediately start working.
    All developers have the same structure and software, so there should be no problem, but NOF goes out of it's way to prevent collaboration.

In this day and age, can you not come up with a solution?
    The answer will determine whether we upgrade to V13.

Quote Originally Posted by dar7yl View Post
    We are a small company who have been developing web sites using NOF (up to version 12).
    The big problem we have is transferring the site between developers.
    The template system is way too clumsy and unstable for rapid development.
    We would like to just transfer a single file and immediately start working.
    All developers have the same structure and software, so there should be no problem, but NOF goes out of it's way to prevent collaboration.

In this day and age, can you not come up with a solution?
    The answer will determine whether we upgrade to V13.
    NetObjects at one time developed and sold a multi-user version of Fusion that worked exactly as you need (check in / check out).

the product was sold to Merant a little over a decade ago and they improved and marketed it for sale under the collage software name.

I do not believe that they are still developing, selling or supporting that product any longer so if you want to use the Fusion GUI you are stuck with the export/import method and the current single user product.

OR

Developing the layout and design in Fusion, generating basic HTML pages, and then working with a stand alone HTML editor like Dreamweaver etc.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Or you can buy and NoF licence for each of your developers and install it on their workstations. Install the User Sites - .nod files and all assets, etc - on a central server. NoF running on a workstation can open and work on a site that's in another location. eg i often work on a site on my laptop that resides on my server, especially in summer when I don't want to be sitting in a room with a kilowatt of computers running. Caveat of course - only one developer can work on the site at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Or you can buy and NoF licence for each of your developers and install it on their workstations. Install the User Sites - .nod files and all assets, etc - on a central server. NoF running on a workstation can open and work on a site that's in another location. eg i often work on a site on my laptop that resides on my server, especially in summer when I don't want to be sitting in a room with a kilowatt of computers running. Caveat of course - only one developer can work on the site at a time.
    Problem with that is multiple developers will continually overwrite each others work unless a system of check in check out can be adhered to. The Collage software was check in check out. It locked out other users while the master file was in use. I have a copy of it here somewhere (I believe it was called NetObjects Authoring Server when NetO owned it). It's based on Fusion 4 (I think). Been so long since I looked at it, I can't recall anymore.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Yeah, what the OP needs is a proper project management system but such beasts are expensive to say the least. NO also had Team Fusion when it was under the Lotus aegis; I remember using back then when I was at IBM. Never made it to prime time, though, AFAIR.

Found this, still on the netobjects site.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    We already have a license for each developer. Unfortunately, we are not in the same office, so working from a central server is not an option. And prior experience tells us that when we try to open the NoF file from different computers, the software will revolt.

Stay tuned. We're working on a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Raubenstine View Post
    Stay tuned. We're working on a solution.
    This is an interesting development (pun intended)

Yeah, but to my mind there are more important requirements needed, such as - responsive output, content management system, html menus to name just a few. But then I'm sure these are being worked on also.