Thread: Stopping width from changing with different screen resolutions

Default Stopping width from changing with different screen resolutions

How do I force a set width on my site?
    Looking at the site with different screen sizes screws up my design, cramping all the text to one side. Makes the page longer and everything is out of alignment.

What output method are you using? If it's Fixed (html 4.10) switch it to Dynamic (html 4.01 with tables). Also have you centred the browser in the window?

Check out the documentation; it tells you all you need to know.

It still happened using your suggestion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	1641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-15-10-49-19.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1640

See how the text is squashed up in one of the screen grabs. I need to stop this, any ideas?

I still don't understand what you're asking. Post a URL so we can see the problem.

Thank you for your help so far Franko.
    Here's a screen grab of two browsers displaying my site.

All I want to achieve is have the same layout on every resolution.
    This used to be able to be done in older versions of the software with a option in styles I think, but this was 11 years ago since I last tried it. It also had the effect of refusing to let internet explorer change text size in view/text size option. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	argh.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	1644

One of the banes of the web designer's existence is trying to get web sites to display the same in different browsers. Thus has it always been. The situation is exacerbated with the proliferation of devices of vastly different resolutions.

Unless you want to get into the complexities of Responsive Web Design (and at the moment that virtually means hand coding or using a CMS such as Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress for which there are responsive templates) I fear you're never going to get everything to match up perfectly on all devices and resolutions. (try Googling for responsive web design to see the issues and solutions).

Also, with browsers based on different rendering engines (webkit, trident, gecko and others) it gets ever more difficult to have a page render the same on all. The web isn't, never was and wasn't ever supposed to be a subsitute for print media. It's hypertext and that means specc'ing the text to be rendered by different engines, not to be visually identical in each.

That said, here's a few things to try.

1. As I said before, make sure you have center in browser checked for each page and that your html output is set to html 4.01 with tables.
    2. Upgrade to v2013 - this will allow you to output in html 5 which may make a difference on, in particular, smartphone and tablet browsers.
    3. Create a separate site for smartphones and/or tablets. I've done this with some of my sites, running a detection script to determine the viewport of the visiting device.

There is Good Reason to supposet that Netobjects are working on a solution - see this thread.

Sorry can't be of more help, but with resolutions ranging from 360 pixels to 2480 and upwards this issue isn't going to go away anytime soon.
    Last edited by franko; 12-16-2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: to add some info