Thread: Importing an existing website

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Importing an existing website

The NOF 2013 help file suggest this method of opening an existing website:

"Creating a New Site from an Existing Site
    From the File menu, choose New Site>From Existing website.
    The Import website dialog appears.
    Select Local or Remote import.
    Enter the exact file location and path to the top-level page you want to import:"

HOWEVER - this function does not even exist in the menu - and this is a feature that worked in 8/9/10
    and the reason I bought 2013 for!

No- its not a 'nod file from NOF, but a Serif site of mine

Any ideas on how to import a web site?
    MEESTER CHRIS

Try this.

Create an new siteproject.
    File>Import>Website
    The imported site will show as Child of the Home-Site.

But i think it dosent work with your Serif-Page.
    Moderator der NOF-Community dem deutschsprachigen kostenlosen Hilfeforum zu Netobjects Fusion. Das NOF-Forum mit Tips, Tricks und Tutorials

Thanks

But that is exactly what I am complaining about!

The function does not exist in NOF 2013

ie It is NOT there, nothing like that whatsoever!

ie its not there, I have a screenshot, but can't post it here!!!!

- I have looked in the olde NOF v 10 - yes it is there, always was.

I want to open an olde NOF v10 website in 2013 too, however the drop down file boxes do not offer the option of anything other than 2013 version files.
    MEESTER CHRIS

If you want to open a v10 site in 2013 follow the recommended procedure of exporting a template from v 10. This gathers all the files in the site into one zip file. Then in 2013 create New Site from Template and open the template zip file you created in the first step.

This has always been the recommended procedure for moving a site between versions since v2 replaced v1 back in '97.

btw, the template procedure is half broken in Nof13

example, create a Nof13 site and in style view, set a custom bg image

now export site as template and start a new site from the template

note that the new site is missing the bg image

Anton, have you tried it this way:
    Import the template and then close the project straight on.
    Then open it again and have a look.

We experienced lost css already in previous versions.
    But this little trick always helped.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Default Not Available in NOF 15 either

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    Try this.

Create an new siteproject.
    File>Import>Website
    The imported site will show as Child of the Home-Site.

But i think it dosent work with your Serif-Page.
    Not Available in Fusion 15, I seem to be regretting each upgrades more and more and should have kept the Public Domain version around.

Duf

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjw37 View Post
    The NOF 2013 help file suggest this method of opening an existing website:

"Creating a New Site from an Existing Site
    From the File menu, choose New Site>From Existing website.
    The Import website dialog appears.
    Select Local or Remote import.
    Enter the exact file location and path to the top-level page you want to import:"

HOWEVER - this function does not even exist in the menu - and this is a feature that worked in 8/9/10
    and the reason I bought 2013 for!

No- its not a 'nod file from NOF, but a Serif site of mine

Any ideas on how to import a web site?

I am having the EXACT same problem !!!!!!

When I Click on <File> then highlight <New Site> I only see three options ----- <Using Site Wizard> <Blank Site> <From Template>
    THERE IS NO <From Existing Site>

Since it is clear that you had the same issue, have you figured out why ???????

Does anyone have additional input or solution(s) ????????

create new blank site

in site view, right click Home Page label and import

later you can make any imported page the home page and delete the blank one, or copy the home page content from imported to the blank one

btw, I never use this feature, I rather create sites from scratch by copy/paste special plain text from existing pages to new and images can be saved from old and then inserted into new

I know this is an aging query, but I feel compelled to respond anyway since it's an area i'm familiar with.

1. NOF has never been capable of pulling in a remote website within NOF and recreate it even though up to V 13 it had that button available. The reason is because when NOF creates a website from a remote server, all that exists on the remote server is HTML (and maybe PHP or ASP, whatever else it might need). Then consider that the website can only provide to any user, NOF or otherwise, HTML and the results of of jvascript pages and nothing else.
    Since it's nothing but HTML, the concept of Master Borders, Banners, etc. are gone. So, even if it could pull in a remote site, all the Master Borders et al would not exist; it would simply be part of the HTML pages.
    I have no idea why NOF couldn't pull in more than just the Home Page, but I haven't seen a version do anything more.

2. It can be done however and there are a few different ways to do it. Here's how I do it:
    Use an ftp program to download the entire site to you hard drive. With an HTML editor, that could work but for NOF, being essentially a database, it can't work without a little work on the part of the site author.
    Downloading the site to your hard drive is pretty easy: Just use something like FileZilla (free) to download the website.
    That way you have the same directory/folder structure as the original NOF database site. The Site Structure is at least recreated that way.

Be SURE to NOT delete the Remote website so you can use it for a reference to rebuild from. There, the directory structure is recreated correctly at this point.

Normally there aren't a lot of Master Borders, so recreating those isn't too hard. Looking at the remote site, create the same number of Master Borders, and begin to recreate them. It's way too early to begin viewing much of what you do because of all the error messages you'll get, but Master Boders will at least make it start to look more like what you had in the beginning.

ALL of the ASSETS will either be gone, depending, or not linked to.
    To get missing assets back, check the Assets folder on the Remote server. So if any Assets (images, autogen, etc) are missing start selecting them on the Remote Site and download them to the C:\Users\username\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 2013\User Sites\Sitename\Assets\images.
    Do the same for the Remote autogen folder.
    Now start checking every page for links and see if they go to where you just downloaded all the assets to. A Local Publish is a good way to see where things are. Either move the Assets to where the links want to find them, OR relink them all to where they are located.

With any luck, a Local Publish now will look pretty good but you still have to check every page and every link and every object to make sure they are working properly. I know this is all hi-level descriptions but it should work all the time. I find it takes a lot less effort to do it the way described here as it's rather straight forward and easy to keep track of. And believe me, I learned this the hard way! Mostly I've had to do it for others who couldn't be bothered to create templates of their websites. A saved and backed up Template makes the effort of recovery practically a no-brainer.

So don't forget to create those templates folks!
    Windows 7 Home Premium; NOF 2013 and IE 9; Dell XPS-17; Intel i7 cpu; 3 GHz'; 6 Gig RAM; lots of disk space; Laptop; Firefox for default browser.
    Also do much photo and video editing/rendering.