Thread: What would NOF 2013 give me?

Default What would NOF 2013 give me?

I have been using NOF 1and1 edition for a while. This is a free product for 1and1 users. What benefits would I get from upgrading to NOF 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by jpadeutsch View Post
    I have been using NOF 1and1 edition for a while. This is a free product for 1and1 users. What benefits would I get from upgrading to NOF 2013?
    None, it's exactly the same version with all the same capabilities, just it has a customised home screen. Curiously, it shows version number 13.00.5000.5536
    (BTW, I've got both versions - I'd already upgraded to 2013 when 1&1 added it their software options, along with DW 5.5)
    Unless of course you're still using the last '1&1' edition, which was NOF11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOF2013.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1680
    Last edited by Trimdoner; 01-22-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Thanks, Ken. That is very interesting. So 1 and 1 isthe full product, not a cut down one?

I've just looked at mine. It is 11.00.0000.5021. Would I gain anything useful if I got 13 from 1 and 1? And would my projects (only two websites so far) transfer from 11 to 13?

John

I've still got most of websites in 11. I didn't bother with 12 as it didn't seem to offer anything different, and other than that I've moved a couple of websites to Wordpress.
    I might upgrade some of the NOF11 sites to 13 as and when they need an overhaul, depending on their requirements - at least it now offers HTML5 and the other point of note (for me) was the ability to have descriptive page addresses which weren't limited to 30-odd characters, which was a bit of a drawback with earlier versions.
    The rest of the software seems very much the same as before, Sitesafe, Imagebank etc., just described a bit differently. The slider is very basic but it is easy to add. Also, read other posts for problems people have had with later versions of Windows/Explorer. The pc I installed on runs Vista and IE9, but as stated I haven't moved any working sites to 13 - just installed it to see what was different.

Thanks for that info.

As a matter of interest, what was involved in transferring sites to wordpress?

John

......And would my projects (only two websites so far) transfer from 11 to 13?

John
    Transferring would only entail exporting from 1&1 version then importing to 2013 version

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

Thanks for that info.

As a matter of interest, what was involved in transferring sites to wordpress?

John
    wordpress is a database program so you would need to first make your theme, then enter the page info into the database to be displayed. Once done, it is easily maintained with a web browser and the WP admin section. Getting there will take longer than staying in Fusion
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Wordpress is a database program so you would need to first make your theme, then enter the page info into the database to be displayed. Once done, it is easily maintained with a web browser and the WP admin section. Getting there will take longer than staying in Fusion
    My personal website (in my sig) was in NOF for years. As it became larger, I split it into several sub-sites in NOF. When I decided to transfer it to Wordpress, (for reasons discussed elsewhere) it did take a long time and lots of copy/paste between NOF pages and Wordpress editor

As it is mostly a text based site, it was fairly easy to customize a Wordpress theme to suit, but for other more graphical sites it would require a lot more work editing the WP page templates to get anywhere near what NOF can do easily. Different jobs, different tools